XBeamMC - Send Media Files to play on XBMC [Beta Signup Now Available]

Edit:
I have just launched a website as well as a beta signup form for getting access to the code before it is ready to release publicly.

http://xbeammc.com

XBeamMC is an open source project to send media from your computer (internet or local storage) to your XBMC media center. The project works similar to the way Chromecast, Plex and Apple's Airplay works in that it sends content to the media device to play instead of playing on your computer.

Demo Video: http://youtu.be/s3RM3D9wfxQ
  • Local files over the LAN or WiFI via Samba/SMB.
  • Direct URLs for streaming media via the internet. (all XMBC supported formats including MP4, MKV, AVI as well as HLS & RTMP streams)
  • User Generated Sites: Youtube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, Break, MixCloud, and more.
  • Live Streaming Sites: Twitch.tv, Aljazeera, Ustream.tv, and more.
  • Original Content Sites: Jupiter Broadcasting, The Onion, TWiT, Revision3, IGN, College Humor, and more.
  • Miscellaneous: Magnet Links

Here is a post about it from my Blog which explains in more detail about how it works. http://michaeltunnell.com/blog/16-linux/...ay-on-xbmc

So what do you think of my project?
I apologize if bumping is against the rules but I am only doing it because of the update to features and beta signup.
Looks good, will keep an eye on it Smile
Seems a nice little add-on to send local files to xbmc.
However AJ's PlayIt add-on can send any online vid to xbmc. Works with 99% of websites ive tried. Just letting you know there is similar stuff out there. Although yours is the only one ive seen that can send local files as well.

If there was a way to mirror my browser or my desktop on to xbmc wirelessly. Now that would be something new.
(2013-12-28, 03:12)skweezer Wrote: Seems a nice little add-on to send local files to xbmc.
However AJ's PlayIt add-on can send any online vid to xbmc. Works with 99% of websites ive tried. Just letting you know there is similar stuff out there. Although yours is the only one ive seen that can send local files as well.

If there was a way to mirror my browser or my desktop on to xbmc wirelessly. Now that would be something new.

Mine is not an addon for XBMC actually which means it doesn't need to be ported to any other XBMC setups...so Raspberry Pi via Raspbmc or OpenELEC, XBMC4Xbox, Windows, Linux, or whatever the user wants to run it on.

The project I am building is an app for desktops/laptops by default it will support Linux only but BSD & OSX should be rather easy to port and Windows should also be possible as well in the future.

PlayIt looks cool but it says "Supports most of the Video Hosting website URL." Mine does this as well but it also supports ALL direct urls regardless of the kind of media as long as XBMC can play it. It also supports Magnet Links and many other things that PlayIt doesn't. PlayIt is a cool project though.
Could you somehow integrate urlresolver within it ?
Nice, signed up for the beta.
Great project. Something like this is really needed. I have found out that complicated addons in XBMC that scrape sites really do not work that well. They depend upon the developer's time and if the developer is absent for some time, they break. Rather basic add-ons like youtube work better.

This is why something like this is essential for XBMC. These days, I use the playit addon which is magnificent. I can browse in my laptop and whenever find something to watch click on the playit to see it on my TV. I strongly feel that this model of using the XBMC is going to be the popular one. Another string point for playit is that it has an Android app which helps to send stuff from my phone.

Since playit is a browser add-on it becomes portable on the laptop side. The problem with it, is that it needs a service to be installed on the XBMC side. But once done, you dont need to worry about it.

The other excellent thing about PlayIt is that it is integrated with UrlResolver. That makes it awesome. I think you need to consider that but then you need a add-on on the XBMC side. But if you use python, won't it be portable across platforms ?

But the drawback of playit is that it cannot play local files. So if you can do it that will be excellent. But portability on the laptop side is required. So that all users can take advantage.

Anyway looking forward to using XBeamMC. Great stuff Smile ....
(2013-12-29, 18:42)skweezer Wrote: Could you somehow integrate urlresolver within it ?
Not in the beginning but I will look into it.

(2014-02-05, 23:20)dave220 Wrote: Great project. Something like this is really needed. I have found out that complicated addons in XBMC that scrape sites really do not work that well. They depend upon the developer's time and if the developer is absent for some time, they break. Rather basic add-ons like youtube work better.

This is why something like this is essential for XBMC. These days, I use the playit addon which is magnificent. I can browse in my laptop and whenever find something to watch click on the playit to see it on my TV. I strongly feel that this model of using the XBMC is going to be the popular one. Another string point for playit is that it has an Android app which helps to send stuff from my phone.

Since playit is a browser add-on it becomes portable on the laptop side. The problem with it, is that it needs a service to be installed on the XBMC side. But once done, you dont need to worry about it.

The other excellent thing about PlayIt is that it is integrated with UrlResolver. That makes it awesome. I think you need to consider that but then you need a add-on on the XBMC side. But if you use python, won't it be portable across platforms ?

But the drawback of playit is that it cannot play local files. So if you can do it that will be excellent. But portability on the laptop side is required. So that all users can take advantage.

Anyway looking forward to using XBeamMC. Great stuff Smile ....

XBeamMC is independent from XBMC itself in the sense of how it is installed and used...the only portion that XBeamMC integrates with XBMC is the XBMC API that was designed for something like this to be done. The benefit of this is that it does not need to be ported to each Distro that uses XBMC or each device running XBMC or etc...it works with all XBMC devices/installs as long as they are using v12+ (Frodo or higher).

XBeamMC works with local files, direct urls to internet files, private network files, magnet links (torrents), original content websites (IGN, College Humor, etc), Live Streams (Ustream.tv, Al Jazeera, etc), and popular video sites (Youtube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc)

XBeamMC installs on a per user basis so multiple users can connect to different devices if desired. XBeamMC can be installed to work with Multiple XBMC Devices at once, some small modifications need to be made but in the future they will be made easier to do.

XBeamMC can be install on as many computers as you want it to without any limitation at all.

XBeamMC is compatible with multiple browsers including Firefox, Chromium, Iceweasel and Google Chrome with potential for Opera in the future. (Only Internet Explorer and Safari will be ignored unless community ported because both browsers are trash...Safari is less trash on OSX but it was deprecated on Windows and never released on Linux so I have no reason to bother.)
The feature set looks impressive. So when are you releasing this ? Looking forward to using the beta. I have already signed up.

Connecting to multiple XBMC device from one XBeam will be a very important feature.
Just signed!
Peppe
Signed up. Any updates?
(2014-02-06, 18:22)dave220 Wrote: The feature set looks impressive. So when are you releasing this ? Looking forward to using the beta. I have already signed up.
Thank you for the kind words and I hope to release the Beta as soon as possible but I had to take a break from development of XBeamMC to work on a different Linux project. I am done with that one now so I can get back to work on XBeamMC.

(2014-02-06, 18:22)dave220 Wrote: Connecting to multiple XBMC device from one XBeam will be a very important feature.
I agree, this was one of the features I had to have by the first release because I wanted it to be as most useful as possible. This one took a while as well. Smile

(2014-02-06, 18:55)peppe_sr Wrote: Just signed!
Peppe

Awesome!

(2014-03-09, 16:49)jiggsaw Wrote: Signed up. Any updates?

Actually, yes and no...I have made some improvements on the documentation but I am currently building the installer script so XBeamMC has to be postponed until the installer and basic documentation is done.

I hope to have it out before XBMC Gotham is officially released...I have no idea when they plan to do that but I am trying to rush to make sure I get it out before v13.
Any progress Michael?
(2014-07-12, 11:18)nikotime Wrote: Any progress Michael?

yes lots of progress and unfortunately a bit of regression as well. The Daily Show and Colbert Report update to their website forced an update to the addon but unfortunately their website is not compatible with the addon beaming because the addon has to do a TON of scrapping to make it work now. I will continue to work on it but I doubt it will work in initial release or maybe for a while.

I was having some issues with getting the multi-device support to function without breakage if something was left out of the user input but that is solved now so the user input will be valid with or without a device ID. I'm pretty happy about that. Smile

I think I might just give up on the full documentation and just make some basic documentation at the start so I can just get it out to everyone...this development period has been ri-freaking-diculous.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBeamMC - Send Media Files to play on XBMC [Beta Signup Now Available]0