Some praise for XBMC
I'm sorry if this is cluttering the forums, just wanted to say thanks to the XBMC team for all their hard work and excellent product.

A little history in order to put things into context: I own a PopcornHour C200, which was "upgraded" to a Dune HD Duo, and after a while here's my experience with these dedicated boxes:

At first it seemed reasonably convenient to have an appliance that took care of my media center needs, sporting 2 HD bays in case of the Dune. Media playback was OK, as was compatibility with several media types, and conectivity was quite reasonable. But there are so many annoying little things inherent to these boxes, at one point I started to look for alternatives and I'm glad I did. I'll summarize a few from the top of my head just so XBMC users realize how good they have it:

- The "rewind" function in the Dune simply *does not work*. How's that for basic functionality screw up?
- Fast forward eventually crash both players, more so on the C200 than the Dune.
- Even using "green" HDs, these players have such poor ventilation you're going to end up frying one every 1-2 years - they run hot enough to cook rice
- Customization is very, very limited - you're basically stuck with whatever skins and plugins are available from the manufacturer, unless you hack into their software (which I did BTW)
- As soon as a new model is about to be released, both companies intentionally cripple their previous ones and stop firmware updates in order to force customers into buying the newest thing. This is a particularly hateful business practice that makes me never want to buy anything from them, ever, again.
- Dedicated boxes usually have mediocre hardware, good enough for playing videos but very little else. Which brings us to the next annoyance...
- Featureset is very limited. For instance, media indexing has to be done by external software (to be fair, the C200 has an internal indexer, that takes 3 or 4 hours to index what XBMC does in less than 3 minutes), subtitles have to be downloaded and uncompressed manually, and although both players could resume play, there was no visual indication either of new shows/movies nor watched ones.

I confess besides being upset with Syabas and Dune, my motivation for putting together an XBMC box was that I just *love* building and configuring computers. Went with the latest (13.10) version of Ubuntu and the latest stable version of XBMC (Frodo) in a Haswell i3 with 4GB RAM, a 64GB SSD system HD and 7TB of storage divided in 3 disks. I find XBMC to be very, VERY stable, with the exception of a few WMV files, everything works flawlessly.

The first things that struck me when I fired up XBMC for the first time were how fast it loaded (partly because of the SSD drive I suppose) and how nice it looks. Then media indexing, which is insanely fast and efficient in XBMC (haven't had a single miss so far), and I'll confess when I realized I could have the latest episodes of my shows downloaded automatically and download and install subtitles so easily I started laughing to myself. To complete my experience, got a cheap MCE remote and configured my Harmony 880 to work with the USB receiver, and now I'm thinking I own the best HTPC I could ever wish for. Even my girlfriend was very impressed and said it was "money and time well spent".

So here's a big THANK YOU guys - I will donate as soon as I get home tonight, can't do it from work Smile
welcome!

Some things to check out that I enjoy about XBMC are the many add-ons and Skins that are available that allow you to customize the XBMC experience. I personally switch back and fourth between ACE and AEON MQ5 and am very pleased. Check out these two skins as well as the list of add-ons that integrate well with them that can really make the experience far more immersive. Also check out Aeon Nox. These skins could be considered for a bit more high-end machines which you have. Happy tweaking and enjoy!

One more thing! If you are an android user - I cannot give enough praise to @Tolriq for his awesome remote
SUPPORTED SCRIPTS (AUTOMATIC INSTALLATION)
SUPPORTED SCRIPTS (MANUAL INSTALLATION)
Reading your post reminded me of my PopcornHour days. When I first got a media player it was a revelation but soooo much was spent just getting it to work. Glad them days are behind me.
bry, thanks for the tips, will check them all out as soon as I can Smile

T800, that makes two of us, after trying XBMC I'm never going back to those horribly limited things.
And just a post back to say thanks for the praise (not that it's directed at me I just grump at silly posts!).

I do get sick of negative posts, you know the ones that go "I got XBMC because my mates said it is the best thing since sliced bread but it is crap cos it won't connect to my local obscure tv company and why the hell do I need a tuner to do pvr and why the hell do I need to get an addon to watch the tv you guys were supposed to provide!!!"

So keep up the positive feedback.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I could not agree more. Thanks to the XBMC team and members who take time to help others

YAMJ, though was the best jukebox for PCH, was a complete nightmare

I tried a couple of media players and in regards to video playback, eye candy skins, managing large media collection, XBMC wins hands down
Agreed; XBMC is an excellent, excellent product. Makes any stand-alone player pale in comparison!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some praise for XBMC0