iOS Connect XBMC remote to XBMC server running on VBox Guest OS
Exclamation 
Hello:

I am running XBMC on a Virtual Box guest VM running Ubuntu. I downloaded the XBMC remote app on my iPhone 5 and I was trying to set it up to work with my XBMC server at home but I am having trouble setting it up. I am running XBMC frodo and I set up XBMC to allow control XBMC via HTTP. I also made sure that the option to "Announce these services to other systems via Zeroconf" was enabled; however, when I click on Find XBMC it says no XBMC instances were found. I tried this with no uname/pw set and then with a username/pw set to see if would make a difference but it didn't.

When setting up the remote app on my iPhone I was entering the IP address I found in the settings for the XBMC server on my Ubuntu VM but the strange thing is that the address configured on the server is a local inside IP (10.0.1.x); however, my laptop thats hosting this VM has a different IP ( a 192.168.x.x IP) I don't know if the fact that my XBMC server is on a VM makes a difference. If any one has any tips or can point me in the right direction I would definitely appreciate it.
I am on a mac mini with Mountain Lion and just downloaded the app last night and am seeing the exact same problem with my Frodo.
Spent an hour trying to get my 5s to work and nothing. Like you, I have turned on everything I have read needed and I get no joy. It says server not found. Hard coding the information does not work either. What gives?
Intel Core i7 3.3Ghz | GTX 1660 | Windows 1909 | 8GB | 32TB RAID1
138" 2.35:1 Elite Lunette Curved Screen | Epson 6050ub Projector | Marantz SR-6014 | Emotiva XPA-11
are you bridging the NIC or NATing it?
Most other posts suggest XBMC in a VB VM is very iffy.
That aside i had one that got up and running.
if you can ping port 80 or whatever port you configured in XBMC from another machine to that VM I would think it should work.
However I too have been having issues w/ Frodo and the webservice behaving inconsistently
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
I am using nat on the guest vm with port forwarding configured to the default port for xbmc remote (8080). On my iphone app I use the IP address of the host machine (a 192.168.x.x address) instead of the internal IP address of the guest VM (which is a 10.0.2.x) address. When I try the find xbmc option on xbmc remote for my iphone it says it can't find the xbmc server no matter what I do. I even tried entering the MAC address that the guest VM gives me but nothing works. Should I try a different port? Would you recommend me trying to bridge the connection to my network card? Do you think this is something on my router firewall? I don't think it would be since this is all inside my home network but I would try anything right about now. Let me know what you think. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You won't be able to do it with your networking setup like that. You need to change your virtual machine to use bridged network and it will get a 192.x address and you should be fine then.

Also what guest OS are you using to run XBMC in? I've found recent version of XBMCbuntu haven't been so great when running in a virtual environment - at idle they have been using more cpu than I would expect, even with a few tweaks.

I've found OpenELEC uses fewer resources in a virtual environment. You can grab a prebuilt vmdk image from xbmcnightlybuilds.com and you can find a quick guide to setting it up here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOyNXEctdY

The guide is for VMWare ESXi, but the process is the same for Fusion / Workstation / Player or for VirtualBox

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connect XBMC remote to XBMC server running on VBox Guest OS0