Bug Pauses/Freezes and Continuity Errors
I've been having a lot of problems with LiveTV freezing and crashing my RPi, requiring a hard reset. I've now disabled my overclock in case that was the problem and I haven't had any crashes since with LiveTV but it regularly pauses for several seconds whilst watching and sometimes is able to resume eventually but normally it goes weird and plays a bit, then speeds up trying to catch up and starts breaking up or is out of sync, so I have to stop and restart the channel. I imagine this problem was triggering the crashes when overclocked, so if it can be fixed, I may be able to overclock again. I'm going to try a less aggressive overclock anyway as XBMC on the RPi is terribly slow at stock speeds.

Looking at the logs there's a lot of continuity errors, which I guess are the cause of the problem. So any ideas how to eliminate these?

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=88248
Usually such errors are due to bad signal quality. Are you running tvheadend on the Pi itself? I've heard that the thing can't handle running both the backend and frontend.
(2013-11-24, 20:55)negge Wrote: Usually such errors are due to bad signal quality. Are you running tvheadend on the Pi itself? I've heard that the thing can't handle running both the backend and frontend.

Regarding the signal quality, with the same USB tuner and aerial cable on my PC running MediaPortal it runs fine, so I don't think it's that. With an earlier build of rbje's OE I don't recall having pauses and crashes when watching TV but there's also been a tvheadend update recently, so that might have it's own problems.

I was overclocking at 950Mhz, overvoltage 6 and that regularly locks up when watching TV, so I tried 900Mhz, overvoltage 6 and that locks up just the same. With no overclock, it doesn't lock up but still TV pauses/freezes regularly.

I'm sure others are running tvheadend backend and frontend on the RPi, or certainly other combinations of backend/frontend, so if tvheadend doesn't work then maybe it has some bugs that need fixing.

Guess I'll have to go back to Mediaportal for now, which is a shame as I'd save a lot of electricity just running the RPi but TV's just not stable enough to be usable at the moment. If I'm using Mediaportal for TV, I might as well use it for videos as well as they're all stored on the PC anyway, so it needs to be on for the RPi to access them, so there's no real reason to suffer the problems with XBMC on the RPi for me right now.
(2013-11-24, 22:10)doveman2 Wrote: I'm sure others are running tvheadend backend and frontend on the RPi, or certainly other combinations of backend/frontend, so if tvheadend doesn't work then maybe it has some bugs that need fixing.

Or the Pi is just horribly underpowered to do any serious work. Anyway you can hop on #hts @ irc.freenode.net on IRC to get support, the people there are always very friendly.
Thankfully I seem to have fixed the problem, thanks to a tip from ted209 Smile

I just had to disable Idle Scanning and Full Mux Reception and now I don't get any more Continuity errors or weird pauses when watching TV Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pauses/Freezes and Continuity Errors0