sound but no picture?
hi all i've set xbmc up this afternoon but on the sports and music channels i just get a black screen with sound.am i doing something wrong??
What hardware did you install XBMC on? Where did you get the videos from? Where did the channels come from? What are you wearing?
I've installed it on my laptop with windows 8.i followed a guide to install it and used fusion.maybe smat has gone wrong.is there a good complete guide on here to setting it up on windows
XBMC Manual: http://wiki.xbmc.org

"Fusion" is an add-on repository for blatant pirated video add-ons, which we don't support and has nothing to do with us. See Forum rules (wiki).
Hi there, I have the same problem. I have sound, but no picture (standard XBMC no Fusion or whatever).

The System:
latest Frodo 12.3

Win7 64bit
Asus P5Q-E 4gb Corsair
Intel Q9850
AMD Radeon HD 4650

DXVA is enabled and so far the system is running fine, no unsolvable problems at all. All Videos are played as expected. I suspect the H264 with the 4:2:0 and 10bit stream as the problem. I haven't had any problems playing Videos until this one. Any Ideas where I can start digging? The same Video runs fine in VLC btw (on the same pc as the xbmc install).

EDIT 1:
I've set the render method from DXVA to Software and the video has picture again (and still has sound Wink). But the video stutters because I think as it is rendered by the CPU now, this Q9850 is a bit slow (3 cores constant over 90%, 1 around 45%). Nothing else is bothering the CPU with work.
Anyone an idea to get the DXVA working? I now think its a codec problem, because the VLC plays the video just fine without stuttering and the CPU is around 5-15% all cores (XBMC running idle in backround).
If it's something known that will be fixed with gotham or something, I can wait. But if I missed to set an option right, I would be thankfull to know.

EDIT 2:
So, I set the rendering option to "Auto detect". Now most Videos seem to be rendered via DXVA and the one causing the problem in software. With the slightly difference that the video is not stuttering. The cores are somewhat around 45-70% but it workes, which is the important thing. I wonder why it doesn't work in software alone. I could reproduce the behavior. Even if I restart XBMC after each setting. Funny. But as it "works" now, thats fine.

IF anyone still has a solution to offer, I'm happy to hear.
(2013-11-24, 00:45)therocker74 Wrote: I've installed it on my laptop with windows 8.i followed a guide to install it and used fusion.maybe smat has gone wrong.is there a good complete guide on here to setting it up on windows
Check out some tips in here- Simplify XBMC configurations......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thank you Blueray, I wasn't asking for a guide. Look HERE plz. Thx Wink.
(2014-01-23, 20:37)stormsh Wrote: Thank you Blueray, I wasn't asking for a guide. Look HERE plz. Thx Wink.
From your line- "The cores are somewhat around 45-70% but it workes, which is the important thing. I wonder why it doesn't work in software alone."

Is this mean everything work fine now? Different GPU required different DXVA render method....
Quote:Is this mean everything work fine now?

Well, yes and no Wink. I've watched a part of the movie and it runs ok like 80% of the time. But in some parts it stutters badly.

But I found two interesting things in the change log of Gotham:

1. Added support for Pixel Shader based HQ (High Quality) scalers for DXVA renderer on Windows
2. Added support for H.264 (including Hi10P) multi-threaded video decoding when software decoder on CPU is used

Sounds like these two could solve my problem.

Quote:Different GPU required different DXVA render method....

What do you mean with "different GPU"? I only have one GPU, the Radeon HD 4650.
The render method "Software" (setting in XBMC) uses the CPU to do the video rendering, whereas the setting "Auto" always chooses the best of three (Software, DXVA and Pixelshader). With DXVA the GPU is doing the work.

What made me wonder was that the "Software" setting didn't do the trick, but the "Auto" setting worked well which made me think that for this particular video XBMC might choose the pixelshader setting to render the video. That way it's at least capable of playing the video, although not smoothly all the time.

If anyone has another idea where to look ...
(2014-01-24, 01:48)stormsh Wrote:
Quote:Is this mean everything work fine now?

Well, yes and no Wink. I've watched a part of the movie and it runs ok like 80% of the time. But in some parts it stutters badly.
I consider it as not working....

(2014-01-24, 01:48)stormsh Wrote:
Quote:Different GPU required different DXVA render method....

What do you mean with "different GPU"? I only have one GPU, the Radeon HD 4650.
The render method "Software" (setting in XBMC) uses the CPU to do the video rendering, whereas the setting "Auto" always chooses the best of three (Software, DXVA and Pixelshader). With DXVA the GPU is doing the work.

What made me wonder was that the "Software" setting didn't do the trick, but the "Auto" setting worked well which made me think that for this particular video XBMC might choose the pixelshader setting to render the video. That way it's at least capable of playing the video, although not smoothly all the time.
What I meant by that is different PC might have different GPU's (Intel/AMD/Nvidia), and different GPU required different DXVA render method? In your case, I found that AMD work best with Auto as render method.

Have you try the settings in AMD CCC as shown in my screen shots below?

Unless I'm mistaken, XBMC can't decode 10bit video using DXVA2. It can only decode using software. There shouldn't be any difference between Auto and Software, therefore. If there is, feel free to submit a debug log and maybe we'll be able to figure out what's going on.
(2014-01-24, 06:52)natethomas Wrote: There shouldn't be any difference between Auto and Software, therefore. If there is, feel free to submit a debug log and maybe we'll be able to figure out what's going on.
I'm not sure about the 12.3 version. But the version in November 2012, I have to use different render method on different GPU for it to work fluently. I might have to spend time to verify render method with different GPU on the 12.3 to confirm it....

stormsh couldn't get it to work with DXVA and Software as render methods on his AMD GPU, but he got it to work mostly using Auto as render method. It seems to be some differences on 12.3 too, but I will try it out when I have time....
hi there, for people who have a black screen via xbmc when playing a film, i had this same problem i fixed it by unticking the "Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) option and after i did that it worked, look if thats the same error, if this is what this area is about lol
I have the mx box and after installing the Gotham v13. I have sound but no picture.

I have no "Allow hardware Acceleration DXVA2 option in my settings /video settings
i had black screen no sound also, try this change your settings level to expert then press video> acceleration>
untick hardware acceleration (amcodec) along with the 2 below it worked for me anyway

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sound but no picture?0