Will Plex's New Strategy Push More People To XBMC
(2013-12-11, 05:41)nickr Wrote: I have to say the setup was not a problem from my perspective, but I am a commandline user from being a linux devotee. Also I had mysql set up for mythtv already.

The advancedsettings.xml is pretty well a cut paste and edit from the wiki howto. I really do wonder how people struggle with this, but perhaps my skillset is just such that I found it a breeze.
Yeah I found it easy too: but we're technical users.

The notion of installing and configuring a 3rd-party database system and then editing XML files - even following a wiki - puts a lot of less-advanced users off ;-)

I too hope MySQL support isn't completely dropped - at least until it can be fully replaced by built-in functionality!
Personally I think some sort of 'centralised' data store should be something quite different to XBMC itself. Call it "XBMC Server" by all means, but make it a different and headless beast, with perhaps a web config.

XBMC tries to be very monolithic (putting aside addons for a moment). I would like to see it broken down a bit more. EG make the scrapers separate python scripts that only need to update the database, no gui required. Then they can be run anywhere on your lan and triggered very easily, and don't need XBMC to be running anywhere.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I too have been quite happy with MySQL. Once configured, it just works and never gets in the way. Just drop in the advancedsettings file with any new XBMC installation and you're up and running. I'd personally be quite happy if the "solution" to this was to package MySQL and automate the install/config steps into the installer. But I'll leave that to the experts!
(2013-12-11, 11:16)nickr Wrote: Personally I think some sort of 'centralised' data store should be something quite different to XBMC itself. Call it "XBMC Server" by all means, but make it a different and headless beast, with perhaps a web config.

Sounds EXACTLY like Plex.

I do wish the two played nicely with each other. I LOVE PMS (the server). PHT (the player) is ok, but I like XBMC better as a player. Now, if I can just get XBMC to play nice with PMS . . .

But it is more difficult than it needs to be, and I don't know if that's Plex's fault, XBMC's fault, or a combination (usually it's the last tho).
(2013-12-10, 21:52)natethomas Wrote: Not to disappoint you more, but libretro isn't gonna make it for 13. It's a candidate for 14 though.

Very true Sad
Do I read that xbmc would consider releasing an early full release when this feature was ready as it was such an anticipated feature? I'll search for the report, but I do remember rearing this in an interview with one of the team.

Also, I agree with the sentiments posted earlier by kreeturez, many are quick to snap, or scoff at others re: choices of hardware/ecosystem etc. You have such an approachable manner, a willingness to at least converse/engage or hear your audience. It's nice to discuss this without being lambasted for my choices, even when we don't received the answers we wish we could hear, I absolutely respect you for not jointing the circle jerk about how shit iOS devices etc are.

It's easy to dismiss everyone who has not chosen the sane path, so thanks for not spunking all up in my grill about how awesome other brands are and how much of a douche I am for purchasing iOS devices. It's refreshing to discuss this without the tired, lame old retorts being thrown around. Maybe in time, someone will pick up the iOS remote and add to it. Until then, keep up the good work and if something cones out of this, at least add a fucking donate button to the official app! Make it easy for us iOS douche bags to donate easily :p
Um, I lost the thread there at the end. The live blog of devCon gets into it a bit. Basically, we've got a couple different smaller irons in the fire and we intend on putting out smaller releases to get through them. It's entirely possible that by this time next year we'll be at XBMC 16, assuming all goes well.
Patrick the only point I was trying to make is that your iOS device will limit your choices, because Apple deliberately close the device down and limit your choices about what software you can run. That doesn't imply that it is a crap device, just that it is crap for SOME things, like running your own choice of software as opposed to Apple's choice of software.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I like my iOS devices, I also like my Android devices. They can sit next to each other without fighting too...
(2013-12-07, 18:50)Zodler Wrote: I just tried a little MediaBrowser 3 mentioned here. Looks nice. Any way to watch videos shared by the Media Browser 3 on an openelec HTPC?

The reason I still use Plex Server is that my media is under Windows 8 and has to be accessible by an Openelec PC. Sharing under windows 8 for linux access as I remember was a pain. Is it any easier now?

Check out my AddOn here:
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index...-for-xbmc/

'NextUp' which I think is like 'On Deck' will be in the next release tomorrow or Saturday.

xnappo
Personally I prefer XBMC, as does my family. I do run Plex Media server, but pretty much the only reason I do is for the Android app which is quite nice. My husband loves being able to watch something from our library when we're at my parents house for the day...lol, or on his break at work.

I've never used the desktop app, and when I was using plex it was on the roku. But since we have an HTPC we all prefer xbmc. My son has even installed it on his own computer which was extremely easy to set up since I have it using mysql on my linux server. If I could find a better way to serve our home media to our devices I'm sure I would use it.
I just today saw mention by somebody in the Plex forums that XBMC Gotham was going to offer server-side transcoding. Sorry, I've been totally out of the loop. So I did some searching/reading, and found this thread. Too bad that it will be delayed, but I'm excited to hear that it's coming.

(2013-12-12, 00:01)tymanthius Wrote: I do wish the two played nicely with each other. I LOVE PMS (the server). PHT (the player) is ok, but I like XBMC better as a player. Now, if I can just get XBMC to play nice with PMS . . .
Surely you're using the PleXBMC add-on for XBMC? If not, do a search for it. Works great.
Wanted to update all of you on what has been happening with MBS (Mediabrowser Server). It has made huge progress and implemented a few things that brings it even closer to XBMC. Among others, there is a fully functioning MBS addon in the official XBMC repo that allows to access MBS. Also, MBS has now a XBMC compatibilty mode that creates exactly the metadata that XBMC is using.

It is the best of the two worlds. You can keep XBMC as client/player, which is in my view still the by far best mediaplayer out there. At the same time, you can have your library on a server (MBS), which handles transcoding. Also, there are Roku, Android and iphone apps for non-jailbroken devices available.

From my understanding, the two projects (XBMC and MBS) complement each other and the developers are supportive of each other.

Just wanted to share as this is really great!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Thanks Steve1977. It does sound like great news.
Just to clarify, this MBS only works with Windows, is that correct?
Intel Core i7 3.3Ghz | GTX 1660 | Windows 1909 | 8GB | 32TB RAID1
138" 2.35:1 Elite Lunette Curved Screen | Epson 6050ub Projector | Marantz SR-6014 | Emotiva XPA-11
There is a beta version available for linux if this is what you are looking for? OSX is in the talks to follow, but I believe this will still be a few weeks/months away.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Excellent! I can do either or, just can't do Windows. It will be worth the wait.
Thanks for the good work.
Intel Core i7 3.3Ghz | GTX 1660 | Windows 1909 | 8GB | 32TB RAID1
138" 2.35:1 Elite Lunette Curved Screen | Epson 6050ub Projector | Marantz SR-6014 | Emotiva XPA-11

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will Plex's New Strategy Push More People To XBMC1