Will Plex's New Strategy Push More People To XBMC
My posts may read this way, but I am actually not a developer, just a big fan and really love how XBMC and MBS play together.

If you want to give MBS for Linux a try, visit their forums, it is an open beta.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2013-12-30, 18:03)steve1977 Wrote: There is a beta version available for linux if this is what you are looking for? OSX is in the talks to follow, but I believe this will still be a few weeks/months away.

Since I can't install any Windows software on my backend machines, I'd love to give this a shot to see what it's like, but it appears that the website is down right now (www.mediabrowser3.com).
Its back up.

xnappo
For anyone interested in the osx and Linux versions of the mb3 server have a look here: http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index...inux-os-x/

I've had it successfully running for over a month now, beware the install at the minute is not trivial but worth it Smile
I would have loved to give this a try, until I saw it required Mono.
I really do not wish to taint my Linux or Mac servers with Windows hacks.
I much rather wait and see if they come up with a native version of either.
Intel Core i7 3.3Ghz | GTX 1660 | Windows 1909 | 8GB | 32TB RAID1
138" 2.35:1 Elite Lunette Curved Screen | Epson 6050ub Projector | Marantz SR-6014 | Emotiva XPA-11
I don't think they are going to take up a project to port out of Mono because of fear of taint.

xnappo
Agreed. No porting! They need to start from scratch by using a REAL operating system such as Linux or OSX. Leave Windows for the kids! Smile

Not trying to turn this into and OS war. This is about XBMC. I am a developer myself and stopped coding for Windows over 10 years ago. And I am much happier now.

My point is, as harsh as this may be and as a very personal opinion, the developer should not waste time porting anything to any OS that won't run native. I think is a waste of time. The bastardized code sitting on top of a middle-ware will kill any performance you may gain by the superior file systems. But then again, I could be wrong and he may be rocking that box. That being the case, cheers!

Best of lucks at any rate.
138" 2.35:1 Elite Lunette Curved Screen | Epson 6050ub Projector | Marantz SR-6014 | Emotiva XPA-11
I understand what you are saying, but with free software you have to keep in mind the developer is going to do what is easiest to implement.

You do speak of Mono like it is like Wine. It is really a lot more like Java - and I am guessing you use some stuff written in Java.

They are actively looking for developers if you are interested in porting to straight C++.

xnappo
Why not judge the software based on merit and the talents of our engineering team, as opposed to technology used?

Plus I think you're overestimating the responsibility level of mono in our case. All of the performance critical operations are handled by natively compiled libraries built for their target platforms - ffmpeg, sqlite, etc. So as far as mono is concerned what we're really talking about here is serving up html and json responses through our api, and passing queries to the database.

When all is said and done we will have mono embedded and users won't even know about it. If you really want to complain about it then go ahead, but we're going to keep on expanding and adding new features and apps that make users happy, which is what we're really all after here anyway.

(2014-02-09, 18:16)wojeda Wrote: Agreed. No porting! They need to start from scratch by using a REAL operating system such as Linux or OSX. Leave Windows for the kids! Smile

Not trying to turn this into and OS war. This is about XBMC. I am a developer myself and stopped coding for Windows over 10 years ago. And I am much happier now.

My point is, as harsh as this may be and as a very personal opinion, the developer should not waste time porting anything to any OS that won't run native. I think is a waste of time. The bastardized code sitting on top of a middle-ware will kill any performance you may gain by the superior file systems. But then again, I could be wrong and he may be rocking that box. That being the case, cheers!

Best of lucks at any rate.

The operations in which you care about for performance - encoding for media streaming via ffmpeg, database manipulation via sqlite, on the fly image processing - those are all handled by natively compiled libraries. All we're really talking about here is an app that sits on top of them and tells them what to do.
Hi lukemb. I gather either you are one of the developers or you have a very intricate knowledge of the system in question. Regardless of the case, let us get into this for a bit shall we?

1) If what you are saying is true, as far as the low level calls are concerned, that certainly alleviates most of the porting paradigm. In fact even the word "porting" should have been used loosely here. I was unaware you could embed the mono runtime inside your app that way. I was still helping out with Midnight Commander when Miguel was talking about Mono. I guess I missed that meeting. Big Grin
But I digress... having it embedded certainly will be a plus not only from the development stand point, but from the end user perspective as well. Having a pre-packaged solution ready to run is certainly a much better experience. The only thing I'd be watchful for is the linking. Whether you choose to statically or dynamically link, special attention must be paid to the initialization. That can be troublesome. Remember, Mr. Singleton is your friend. But I am sure you already know that.

2) I am sorry you got the impression this was a complaint as I was merely expressing a personal opinion based on past experiences. I do not know the inner-workings of MB nor do I pretend so. I do know however, that MB has rave reviews under Windows and seems to be well under way to achieve the same accolades under another two platforms. Being in port or native form, it is still a plus to have other choices. No one is taking that away from the great effort made with the software nor the ability of the team.

One thing is for certain, just by chiming in here, you show to be fully engaged and in tune with what is going on outside the development table. That can only spell success to the project. I look forward to give MB a run once the embedding is complete.

Cheers!
LukeMB is the leader of the MB3 project. A short amount of research into MB3 would tell you that.

I still can't work out what your problem is with mono. You need libc to run a c program, you need python to run a python program, you need perl to run a perl program, you need mono to run a .net program.

Once the needed patch is in mono, and some starts a mono ppa, it will need a simple apt-get install mediabroswer3.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I know this was months ago, but....... " unstable and needing restarts regularly - not great when your wife wants to watch the next episode of grey's anatomy and you have to talk her through restarting it all!"

Harry ol' boy, your rep was "0" when I read this..... it's now +1 with me, dude..... it's like you was peekin' in my window....

zman
Plex also coming to google android TV now. https://blog.plex.tv/2014/06/25/plex-bra...ndroid-tv/

Plex is coming to Xbox One. http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/691807...es-on-xbox

Sure would be nice to see Kodi in the new consoles as well..

(2014-10-06, 17:04)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Plex is coming to Xbox One. http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/691807...es-on-xbox

Sure would be nice to see Kodi in the new consoles as well..

Honestly, I'm happy to see that MS approved their client. It's nice to see that not every company assumes a person's local library is either pirated content or not profitable (I think more companies simply care about pushing their own media offerings than they do about piracy).

As long as the GPL v2 license is respected, I don't think anyone has any major objection to such a thing. We just don't have anyone interested in doing it yet, and it would be a major undertaking. It's a lot easier for Plex to make a client from scratch that only has a small subset of features (compared to Kodi) than it is to actually port the full program over.

Of course, if someone wanted to make a Kodi "thin-client", that might be an option that could happen within the Xbox One's lifetime. It just would be a different project. Maybe done under the same XBMC Foundation organization, kind of like how we have both XBMC/Kodi and then we have their official smartphone remotes.

*shrug*

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will Plex's New Strategy Push More People To XBMC1