• 13(current)
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC
Sorry, I just wasn't sure if it was a known issue for some types of files.

I'll grab a debug log tomorrow morning.
VC1 bluray will not work on android, or several other boxes for that matter. The Ouya struggles on most raw bluray rips.You'll have to trans-code those for now.
I wasn't aware of the fact that it didn't handle raw rips. OK.

Thanks.
Most BR rips should be fine, actually. VC-1 is the minority format. Even then, the OUYA has the hardware decoder, but the VC-1 and MPEG2 parts aren't exposed to XBMC. I'm not sure on the technical reason, I've only been told it is an API issue, and that some boxes have it and some don't.
I havn't tried the latest build but with gothem a few weeks ago and spmc, all of my test raw rips all have green screen on the ouya. Non of them play right.
(2014-03-01, 21:57)Ned Scott Wrote: Most BR rips should be fine, actually.
+1. Thanks to this thread, I finally got and set-up my OUYA. I'm pretty impressed with this little box, especially after trying Pivos XIOS (both Android and Linux flavors) and TLBB (the Little Black Box) and being disappointed by their sluggishness and stutters/freezes on uncompressed BD rips. Not so with OUYA and SPMC... tried full rips of 'The Dark Knight Rises', 'Captain Phillips' and even a 3D MVC MKV of 'Thor: The Dark World', all over wired SMB, all played perfectly. 'Thor' 3D of course played in 2D, but no stutters or freezes. You get minor hiccups if you chapter or skip forward/back as it take a few seconds to recover and continue playing, but it resumes playing smoothly.

I also have a Celeron NUC and I find OUYA with SPMC only a few notches slower overall (even with Aeon Nox installed as I do), but perfectly fine as a budget XBMC box. Not for dedicated home theater use, but XBMC + Netflix + casual Android games for $100 or less, what's not to like?!
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I only tested 3. The descent being one. Ill go back and try a few more.
Wow I was wrong. With the nightly of march 2, Im playing raw bluray ISO's fluidly over samba shares. I honestly didn't think that was ever going to happen. If any one wants proof Im linking a video of it.

Were you using SMPC, or the nightly official Gotham one?
The official Gotham nightly. The spmc build I have doesn't even open iso's.
calev, that's great, thanks for posting. I have SPMC version installed. Gotham nightly doesn't downmix DTS and DD right, or does it? Any downsides to installing Gotham nightly vs. SPMC? Anyway, I wrote a little review at AVSForum to let more people know about OUYA for XBMC.
My HT
Yes, Gotham does downmix DTS & DD (AC3). The only version that doesn't is the Official XBMC for Ouya version.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think spmc has an option for surround sound. And maybe a few more ouya tweaks. But like Tinwarble said gotham does down-mix.
You can install spmc and Gotham nightly side by side. I had one file that didn't play in spmc and plays in Gotham, probably due to newer ffmpeg.
Okay, my excitement turned to disappointment. Should have tested BD rips for longer sequences as I'm getting lots of stutters, especially on higher bitrate movies. Tried '3:10 to Yuma' and a couple others. Also, OUYA stutters on all the 'Planet Earth' birds clips I have, from 60mbps to 90mbps. Getting weird green screen break-ups (pixellated) artifacts every so often as well.
My HT
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC1