• 15(current)
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC
Hi all,
I'm Ettore from Italy.

I'd like to buy ouya for my parents to watch movies through xbmc.
I read that there are issues with dts and ac3. Will playing a mkv with dts&ac3 audiotracks results in a no audio?

thank you
Not if you install spmc, or gotham beta. It only downmixes though. So you will not get surround sound just 2.0. I would probably build something a little more user friendly for parents though. Mabye a pivos or PI with openelec. Ouya runs great but only if you care to tinker.
I was in the process to buy a PI but than I read that ouya was faster with menu and 1080p play...
(2014-04-02, 17:27)calev Wrote: Not if you install spmc, or gotham beta. It only downmixes though. So you will not get surround sound just 2.0. I would probably build something a little more user friendly for parents though. Mabye a pivos or PI with openelec. Ouya runs great but only if you care to tinker.

That's only true for Gotham, with SPMC you can output multi-channel PCM, which means your Ouya is doing the decoding rather than your AVR.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
My parents bought this ( http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-And...B009BWC3J4 ) as a XMBC box that has Linux and a bunch of streaming Asian channels pre-loaded on it.

* Mali400 High Performance 3D GPU
* AMLOGIC Cortex A9 Neon CPU
* 1GB RAM (DDR3)

They complained about the general slowness of the box navigating through the UI, boot-times and other general slowness. I made a back-up of the box and recreated the entire set-up on an old laptop just to make sure I got everything right. I'm thinking of getting them a Ouya for install XBMC for their needs and for me to occasionally play an emulated game or two. Am I looking at a significant leap in terms of zippiness from the Ouya compared to the correct box?
It was fantastic, but the latest update has completely borked it!

Files that in the past worked perfectly are all failing and only a few with ac3 codec are now working better. That wasn't a fix, it was a mistake! I can't watch my TV Shows anymore, the main reason I got a the Ouya to replace my xbox 360.

Please fix it!
Agree. For some reason, no TV shows work on my Ouya. Movies do....
It IS fast, however. Get one, try it. Xbmc is easy to get and autoload on startup. There are a few quirks, but they're cheap. If you must go android, they're OK, but I'm ditching mine.
(2014-04-24, 02:50)mcenal Wrote: It was fantastic, but the latest update has completely borked it!

Files that in the past worked perfectly are all failing and only a few with ac3 codec are now working better. That wasn't a fix, it was a mistake! I can't watch my TV Shows anymore, the main reason I got a the Ouya to replace my xbox 360.

Please fix it!

What update? The OUYA firmware? Are you sideloading XBMC nightly builds (wiki)?
I assume he means Jackelope. Abominable Snowman worked, the next one started giving me issues. Then I wasn't able to revert back to test.. .... Technology stuff.
(2014-04-24, 14:41)McButton Wrote: I assume he means Jackelope. Abominable Snowman worked, the next one started giving me issues. Then I wasn't able to revert back to test.. .... Technology stuff.

The latest is chupacabra ....it contains fixes to allow audio pass through to work in xbmc
(2014-04-06, 23:02)roninmedia Wrote: My parents bought this ( http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-And...B009BWC3J4 ) as a XMBC box that has Linux and a bunch of streaming Asian channels pre-loaded on it.

* Mali400 High Performance 3D GPU
* AMLOGIC Cortex A9 Neon CPU
* 1GB RAM (DDR3)

They complained about the general slowness of the box navigating through the UI, boot-times and other general slowness. I made a back-up of the box and recreated the entire set-up on an old laptop just to make sure I got everything right. I'm thinking of getting them a Ouya for install XBMC for their needs and for me to occasionally play an emulated game or two. Am I looking at a significant leap in terms of zippiness from the Ouya compared to the correct box?

I know this is an Ouya thread, so I'm sorry if this is a slight derailment. A couple of things about the G-Box. The newer MX2 is supposed to be much faster, but lots of people have complained about the performance of the preloaded boxes. I don't know if you want to try it, but perhaps resetting the G-Box to factory settings, updating firmware, and re-installing the apps/channels yourself would give you better performance. Of course, at $100, it may be worth trying the Ouya regardless.
I haven't posted for a while but a big reason why is because of Ouya. Works great and haven't had any issues.

When Gotham came out, I did a factory reset, installed gotham from the XBMC website and I was done. I haven't had a single issue with it. Just a tank of a device. I own 4 OUYA's and 1 HTPC with XBMC.
Ouya here as well, connected to bedroom TV (HDMI 2.0 audio) with streaming via NFS over LAN.

No issues really at all and a quick UI.
(2014-04-25, 13:08)Vidman Wrote: The latest is chupacabra ....it contains fixes to allow audio pass through to work in xbmc

That's good news, but which xbmc version would you then install? The one in OUYA store or sideload 13.1??
Hi guys, new to the forum here - have tried searching for the issues below but cannot find anything so apologies for any duplication.

I seem to have a decent setup working on a new Ouya box I got yesterday. However, having come from a laptop running XBMC, I'm still having a few issues with things - any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Is there a way to display codecinfo? On the laptop, I used to hit 'O' and it would display - any way I can do this from the Ouya controller?
2. Is it possible to get the official XBMC remote working with Ouya? If so, how?
3. I tried to install iStream on Gotham using the transparency skin which seems stable (all the others I tried do not seem to be compatible with Gotham yet?) - whenever I click on iStream from the main menu, instead of taking me through to the iStream menu where you can pick Movies, TV Shows, Settings, Search etc. it takes me through to the Video add-ons page....should I just try a fresh install of iStream or is there a deeper issue at play here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC1