• 3(current)
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC
(2013-11-26, 20:30)hernandito Wrote: which version of xbmc for ouya to use..
SPMC unofficial XBMC 12.x "Frodo" builds by Koying, at least for now until official XBMC 13.x "Gotham" builds for Ouya comes out

https://github.com/koying/SPMC
(2013-11-27, 11:48)Jako Wrote:
(2013-11-26, 13:20)lifeisfun Wrote: If there was reasonably priced external IR receiver or better yet IR on board that would seal the deal for many people I know.
Flirc infrared reciever adapter should work with most universal remotes like Logitech's Harmony series, but does it work with Android?

http://flirc.tv

Flirc is recommend for XBMC for other platforms, but again not sure about Flirc compatibility with Android and XBMC on Ouya?

http://xbmc.org/flirc-a-new-old-way-to-control-xbmc/

http://blog.flirc.tv/one-more-thing-weve...mc-plugin/

Yes, Flirc would work (when you program it on PC first) but it is way to pricy to be reasonable add on to $99 ouya
Windows USB IR receiver costs $5 where Flirc $42. (yes I understand that its way more flexible)
(2013-11-27, 08:06)eskro Wrote: hernandito
----------------------

I installed official XBMC for OUYA v12.3.2 on my friend's OUYA
you can grab it directly from OUYA repository --> http://dlyv5j2269q7v.cloudfront.net/apps...12.3.2.apk

I didn't install the lastest version from OUYA Discover menu, which is v12.3.3,
because like we all know, they had licensing issues and we forced to
drop some audio playback capabilities of formats such as DTS and AC3 for now till they resolve this.

But in v12.3.2, the one just before, still included DTS and AC3 playback Wink
and i still asked my friend today, and he said XBMC never crashed on him,
so its a really stable version of XBMC for OUYA, so i suggest you side load v12.3.2....

to side load it to your OUYA, just check tutorials on Youtube, there's plenty, its really easy!

and if u want XBMC to autoboot automatically when you powerON your OUYA,
just go to OUYA's discover menu,
and do a search for this app and install it --> AUTOPiLOT

if v12.3.2 isn't working great for you for some reason,
i suggest you use koying's SMPC v12.4.0 then http://filez.semperpax.com/5e9jhnh
basically, SPMC is XBMC for OUYA with DTS and AC3 included + Multi Channel PCM for AVR users....
it also fixes other stuff that i dont know about sorry...
you can always try both versions and see which one you like best.

Eskro Thank you very much.... I am up and running on the OUYA with the 12.3.2... I was able to install all my Aen Nox mods, with my centralized MySQL... it plays 1080 videos nicely.... Quite impressive that I got this done in only a few hours.

I had only used the Ouya when I first got it like 4 months ago... I ran into glitches trying to get XBMC installed and I gave up after less than an hour of messing with it. Now it seems to be fully functional. I like it. My preliminary analysis:

Pros:
Everything positive Eskro and others have stated. It runs Aen Nox nicely with my added bells and whistles.

Cons:
- It is a nice little hand warmer this thing... doesn't bother me... fan noise...? not a big deal as I have noisier gear in the same room... It can be changed too...

- Only one USB port... this is tricky, sideloading I had to swap out a keyboard with a thumb drive when downloading... horrible trying to type urls when sideloading. But I guess I only sideloaded XBMC...

- Remote/Controller... this is the biggest peeve (now I understand why others are so vocal about it)... It is not horrible, but I have grown accustomed to full remote functionality. I really wish I could plug a cheap $15 MCE Remote and have it work... I already have a Flirc which I do not use... will this work right off the bat with a cheap MCE Remote?

I really do not plan to retire my 2 Zotac ID80 htpcs running OpenElec... the Ouya is more for learning/playing and in case one of my htpc's goes kaput.

Oh... can one plug a USB hub to increase number of USB ports...? I dont have one to test.

Eskro thanks again, and I wholeheartedly agree with your enthusiasm. Not bad for $99

I'm late for work.....
(2013-11-27, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 00:31)awp0 Wrote: Pretty weird IMO that it only consumes up to 4.5 watts but still requires a loud fan.

Can anyone confirm whether the Ouya supports 1080 MPEG2 for Live TV streaming? So far I haven't been able to make this work on my Android devices and I'm pretty sure it's just not supported by libstagefright or medacodec.

It worked when I played 1080 live TV mpeg2 back in February. The Tegra 3 inside should be able to handle that with CPU/software decoding easily (mpeg2 is a little easier for CPUs).

Thanks Ned, that sounds encouraging. I really want to play around with one of these things, but I don't (yet) want to buy one. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist.
(2013-11-27, 16:22)hernandito Wrote: Oh... can one plug a USB hub to increase number of USB ports...? I dont have one to test.

Yes you can use a USB hub. I bought one from best buy called the jellyfish hub for like $8 and it has a suction cup and sticks to the top of the ouya. Works just fine.
(2013-11-27, 16:22)hernandito Wrote: - Only one USB port... this is tricky, sideloading I had to swap out a keyboard with a thumb drive when downloading... horrible trying to type urls when sideloading. But I guess I only sideloaded XBMC...

I use the file explorer in xbmc to move apks from a network drive to the 'download' folder for sideloading, works great.
I've been really impressed with my Ouya XBMC setup, it's been a big leap from the ATV2 I was using. Has anyone been successful in playing videos off an external NTFS HDD? I typically do everything thru my network but i decided to travel with it and cannot get the dang HDD to show...
(2013-11-27, 18:33)JermZone Wrote: I've been really impressed with my Ouya XBMC setup, it's been a big leap from the ATV2 I was using. Has anyone been successful in playing videos off an external NTFS HDD? I typically do everything thru my network but i decided to travel with it and cannot get the dang HDD to show...

Yeah I play videos off of a ntsf drive all the time. If your cable is to long though the ouya wont be able to power it. You might need a powered drive or a powered usb hub; Also the ouya can only connect one usb hdd at a time. So if you already have a usb stick in a hub a second one wont be detected.
(2013-11-27, 12:12)Jako Wrote:
(2013-11-26, 20:30)hernandito Wrote: which version of xbmc for ouya to use..
SPMC unofficial XBMC 12.x "Frodo" builds by Koying, at least for now until official XBMC 13.x "Gotham" builds for Ouya comes out

https://github.com/koying/SPMC

Do you think these licensing issues will be fixed in the official XBMC 13 for Ouya?
(2013-11-27, 21:07)Diet-Coke Wrote: Do you think these licensing issues will be fixed in the official XBMC 13 for Ouya?

Official XBMC will have no issue. A version of XBMC in the OUYA store directly might have problems, but you will always be able to download and install official XBMC v13 to the OUYA when it comes out, store or not.
Ok cool! That sounds promising.
(2013-11-27, 16:36)bradwatson Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 16:22)hernandito Wrote: Oh... can one plug a USB hub to increase number of USB ports...? I dont have one to test.

Yes you can use a USB hub. I bought one from best buy called the jellyfish hub for like $8 and it has a suction cup and sticks to the top of the ouya. Works just fine.

Sounds awesome... Gonna try to get to best Buy this weekend.... Thank you!

(2013-11-27, 17:15)spyder Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 16:22)hernandito Wrote: - Only one USB port... this is tricky, sideloading I had to swap out a keyboard with a thumb drive when downloading... horrible trying to type urls when sideloading. But I guess I only sideloaded XBMC...

I use the file explorer in xbmc to move apks from a network drive to the 'download' folder for sideloading, works great.

Thanks Spyder I was trying to figure how to do that...from the Ouya root folder, where is the Download folder....? I thought I found it, and copied an .apk into it, and then I went to System > Storage and the Download folder, and it showed it as empty.
instal filepwn from the ouya discover store (under apps) and use it to find the apk. once found you just click on it and there will be a prompt asking if you want to instal the .apk....
filepwn is really handy... also once in filepwn go into settings and enable allow to see hidden files.
@hernandito:
------------------------

yeah, just get a powered HUB for your OUYA,
it works perfectly and you'll be able to plug more USB stuff....

and yes, use your FLiRC dongle, program it on your PC first,
using the XBMC profile in FLiRC software,
then plug it in your OUYA's powered HUB and enjoy!

Give us feedback on how its going for you!!

Heck, make a video to show everybody Smile
Is it possible to watch flash video with the web browser on the OUYA ? I want to replace my xbmc laptop but I use it also to watch streaming hockey game via web browser
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My thoughts on OUYA + XBMC1