Linux XMBCBuntu & MCE Remote not working "out of the box" on Gigabyte Brix
Hello,

I recently installed XMBCBuntu (xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-NVIDIA) on a Gigabyte Brix (GB-XM12-3227).
I have a Lenovo usb-keyboard/mouse attached to it and a standard (original) Microsoft Remote Control (RC6 Receiver/MCE Remote).

The installation went quite smoothly and I had XBMC up and running in no time, except for the remote. Confused
This was strange as I had read that this should be working "out of the box", certainly as I was using a standard MCE remote.

I checked if LIRC was installed in XMBCBuntu and it was running.
lsusb told me that my remote was detected (Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver).
I also ran the configuration routine for LIRC (dpkg-reconfigure lirc) and selected the "Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
dmesg |grep mceusb or lirc doesn't show any issues.

I'm not really that familiar with Linux (first install) and am currently stuck on how to take this further.
Is there someone who can help me figure out what is going wrong here?

Please let me know if I need to post additional logs/screens.

Peter
If you run irw from the console does it log any key presses?

This video shows you what the output should look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENCXM16NGE4
(2013-11-26, 17:00)drivesoslow Wrote: If you run irw from the console does it log any key presses?

This video shows you what the output should look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENCXM16NGE4

No that's just it. The RC doesn't respond.
I copied the output of lsusb and dmesg |grep mceusb.
What worries me is the "mceusb 3-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)"

It seems to me that the RC is getting recognized but not activated.
The Brix does use USB3 ports and on Windows I had to load a specific driver to get them to work.
Could this be the cause of the problems?
In addition, I have also noticed that the red light on the receiver remains lit (which I would not expect it to do) and blinks when I press a key on the remote.

Oh... the remote was working in the past on my Windows7/XBMC install on the same hardware, so I know the RC is not faulty.

Code:
Welcome to Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu (GNU/Linux 3.5.0-43-generic i686)
bigboss@Earth:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04b3:3016 IBM Corp. UltraNav Keyboard Hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 04b3:3019 IBM Corp.
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 06cb:0009 Synaptics, Inc. Composite TouchPad and TrackPoint
bigboss@Earth:~$ dmesg |grep mceusb
[    4.910393] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (mceusb) as /devices/virtual/input/input8
[    4.918401] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb) registered at minor = 0
[    5.047616] mceusb 3-2:1.0: Registered Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[    5.047623] mceusb 3-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)
[    5.047671] usbcore: registered new interface driver mceusb
bigboss@Earth:~$

Hope this can bring us closer to a solution.

Peter
I have a strong impression the issue I'm having with the remote is related to the Brix's USB 3.0 ports.
I found this post Gigabyte Brix + Intel NUC + IR describing a similar issue.

Does anyone know if there are driver updates for usb 3.0 ports and how I would go about installing does?

Peter
Had a similar problem, everything seemed fine with lsusb and lot of the other stuff i found i related topics, but irw didn't show any response from the key presses. I had to change some usb settings in the bios:
Code:
Legacy usb  >> auto
Intel xHCI Mode  >>  disabled
EHCI Hand-off  >>  disabled
This is on a ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150 motherboard.

Don't now if this is an issue or not. First i installed xbmcbuntu without the mce receiver plugged in, in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf remote_modules was like this
Code:
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev mceusb"
When i reinstalled with the receiver plugged in it changed to
Code:
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_mceusb2"
Which as the same as my other xbmcbuntu box. That is the main reason why i reinstalled, to check if this mattered. Alone it didn't.

(I know the thread isn't all that new, but its mainly to get it written down somewhere, so that others with similar issues hopefully gets pointed in the right direction, since none of the posts i found on this forum or elsewhere said anything about the bios settings could be an issue).
I really would not suggest xbmcbuntu v12 on that new hardware. Try xbmcbuntu v13.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'll upgrade when its out of beta.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBCBuntu & MCE Remote not working "out of the box" on Gigabyte Brix0