Win SMB Share Issue between Windows & Android/Linux
Hi All

Sorry for beating a dead horse, I have had a few threads similar to this problem. But its reared its ugly head again last night, and I think I can firmly say its a Windows issue.

Here are the previous threads if you want to read:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174566
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173463

So the issue is, that my HTPC (called thus) is a Win 7 64bit machine that sits in my lounge and holds currently 4 HDD worth of Media. It is connected to my router via ethernet cable as well as my main PC (also Win7 64bit) which is in my computer room. Both can see each other via the network.

In the threads above, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, which I was trying to set up XBMC for so that my daughter could watch when we are using the lounge HTPC. The issue was that under SMB and WORKGROUP, all other PC's were listed but HTPC (which has all the media) wasn't. No matter what I tried I could never see it under Android.

At the time I thought it was an Android issue, but I was working on my Rasp PI (Openelec) last night getting it ready for putting out in the garage so we can watch XBMC in the Spa Pool.... And well... It cannot see the HTPC on SMB eitherHuh The thing is I KNOW that it did before when I first got it, hell the media sources are still set up to the HTPC but they no longer workHuh

I even reinstalled Openelec on the PI and still nothing, it just can't see the HTPC on the SMB network.

During the other threads when I was trying to get the tablet to find the HTPC, I tried so many things on my HTPC in regards to sharing etc etc. But nothing worked and its so messed up now.

I'm at wits end, I'm leaning towards formatting my HTPC and starting again with a fresh install of windows 7. But then I lose all the XBMC setup work I have done (which is alot of work lol).

So does anyone have any experience with these issues? With SMB in general? With resetting Win 7 network sharing? Would uninstalling the network drivers on the HTPC fix this? Is there a way to manually set up SMB shares or something?

Is there some other type of Windows to Linux sharing system I could useHuh AnythingHuh

Is it something to do with my Router? Have I accidentally changed a setting on it or somethingHuh

Worse case, is there a way I can save my XBMC set up somehow? All my media drives wont be formatted so I could save some stuff to that before I format Win 7 or something?

Thanks
This may be a silly question, but have you tried "turn off password protected sharing" and changing the permissions of the share to "everyone" "full control"?

Windows 7 is a bit cantankerous with file shares and permissions, especially with Linux/android (I'm having a bigger issue with mine, as Server 2012 doesn't let me turn the password protected sharing off, so I've been through all this and more Smile)
Did you solve it?

I have exactly the same.

I've set my win7x64 shares to everybody, but Raspbmc and even my GalaxyTab2 cannot access the share, If I try with a Win 8 Client, I can access the shares without entering any password.

The first time I've installed the Raspbmc it worked fine and I was able to see my movies. One day later it didn't work anymore. My Win7 maschine was down. I restarted, but since that time I was never abl to access the share anymore.

So the story is nearly exactly the same like yours.

So I hope, your solution will be mine, too.

Greeting from Switzerland

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Share Issue between Windows & Android/Linux0