Processor Speed 2.5GHz
Processor Cores 2
RAM 4 GB PC3-12800 (1600 MHz DDR3)
Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB
Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 5400 RPM
Operating System Mac OS X Maverick
Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics 4000
Its $599.

I figure most HTPC cost around $500 anyway so would it be worth it to get the mini?
Also, are there any issues with this device running XBMC? I have read about audio issues for older models but nothing for new ones.
Does anyone currently have this set up?

Are there any limitations? Is there a different device or hardware you recommend in the same price range?

Zee
Looks good. I would use OpenElec on it and get rid of the OSx part.

cheers Nordish a.k.a mablae
Do you know whether I would experience a huge performance difference between a mac mini 2013 and an OUYA? I read everywhere that OUYA is a great device to run XBMC.. and for just $99 its tempting?
Any thoughts?
Android is a bit meh for htpc usage - no HD audio and frame rate is locked at 60fps. Take a look at the Intel nuc - $200-$250 aud for a machine that has way more power and features than a ouya.
Mac Mini (it's actually a 2012, as there has not been a new 2013 model yet) is a bit overkill for some people for an HTPC, but it will certainly do the job (just about any job you could possibly want from an HTPC).

I think most people would be happy with what they can get in the $100-300 range. There's lots and lots of posts all over the forum here about what you can get for various price points. NUC, previous gen Mac Mini, OUYA, Foxcomm, Zotac.
Still using my 2009 Core 2 Duo Mini works great!
Hmmm sorry I wasn't aware of the 2012 model thingy!

Yeah it is quite expensive at 599. You mentioned some other devices. Im a complete noob.
Could someone perhaps list some devices here that I can look up?

I am looking for something that will not lag at all.

Also, the HD intel built in card in the mac mini.. is it sufficient to run XBMX 1080p content?
Pumxee - all current Intel CPU+GPU combos (Intel HD and Intel HD XX00) are fine for 1080p content in XBMC. Even the very low-power Celerons play it fine.

I've got a low cost Revo RL80 running OpenElec (Celeron 1007U, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Bluetooth, Wifi, GigE, USB 3, HDMI, DVI-I) and it's great. Cost GBP£129 in the UK (there's a UK cash back deal at the moment), plus GBP£10 for the internal IR receiver I added. That's around US$210.

I've also got a Core i5 based HTPC I built myself - and that runs OpenElec and Windows XBMC fine. I use the Core i5 for transcoding and for playing back some content that isn't natively supported by most GPUs (4:2:2 H264 high bitrate broadcast stuff) - but this is a niche requirement.

The MacMini will be great - but as others have said - you can get good core XBMC performance on lower power, lower cost devices.

I've played with Android - but the lack of HD Audio and poor support for 24/50/60Hz frame rate switching means it's still just a toy rather than a main platform for me.
I have the same Mac Mini, bootcamped to run XBMC on the windows 7 partition and to the best of my knowledge it is FLAWLESS! (I am by no means an expert but I have certainly been around the block with XBMC for a handful of years on two handfuls of devices!). I have a bunch of lower end options also and am currently very pleased with my Ouyas despite what I see as very minor setbacks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini 2013 for XBMC? Should I ?0