Black Levels Terrible on XBMC
I tried everything you could think of including HDMI Through.
I found a thread on AVS about it not passing 3D or full RGB.
I spent about 10 hours this last week trying to get good results and got nothing.

At lunch time today I whipped out the Onkyo, installed the Sony STR DH540 and reprogrammed my Harmony in less than 30mins. Started everything up and Boom!
Full RGB, 3D passthrough and HD audio.

Very pleased, the Sony is £80 chepaer than the Onkyo too.
(2013-12-09, 16:25)T800 Wrote: I tried everything you could think of including HDMI Through.
I found a thread on AVS about it not passing 3D or full RGB.
I spent about 10 hours this last week trying to get good results and got nothing.

At lunch time today I whipped out the Onkyo, installed the Sony STR DH540 and reprogrammed my Harmony in less than 30mins. Started everything up and Boom!
Full RGB, 3D passthrough and HD audio.

Very pleased, the Sony is £80 chepaer than the Onkyo too.
I think you did a good change. Onkyo is a fantastic equipment, but I have read many reports of problems with XBMC, Linux etc.
many users complaining about dtsma signal.
Anyway, I still think that you should give a try to rgb limited signal. You will certainly have a better black with limited signals when displaying at a tv.
Try a simple test: at XBMC video configuration you will find some simple test pattern. The first one have 4 squares with balls blinking inside.
With a full signal the blinking balls are not well visible (especially at the black squares). With a limited signal you can see all 4 balls perfectly.
Do not be fooled: in some cases "limited" is better than "unlimited/full". And this is one of those situations. Wink
Regards.
I find that my Pioneer Elite VSX-53 does a really good job with the picture. The colors look more natural when running through the receiver, including black levels. I am using Openelec 3.2.4 currently.
Now I have my Denon AVR-X4000. What a device! The audio is magnificent! And one of the first things I tried was XBMC with full range RGB. And it works perfectly. I removed the option line in the xorg.conf to set it to limited and rebooted XBMC with full range. The black levels look perfectly.

It looks to me that some users should use the limited RGB range. With my old AVR-1910 it was nessesary. I'm not sure, but doesn't OpenElec use limited color range by default?

Regards!
(2013-12-10, 21:00)donkamillo Wrote: Now I have my Denon AVR-X4000. What a device! The audio is magnificent! And one of the first things I tried was XBMC with full range RGB. And it works perfectly. I removed the option line in the xorg.conf to set it to limited and rebooted XBMC with full range. The black levels look perfectly.

It looks to me that some users should use the limited RGB range. With my old AVR-1910 it was nessesary. I'm not sure, but doesn't OpenElec use limited color range by default?

Regards!
No, it doesn't.
You can see the default xorg.conf at OpenELEC's wiki:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=..._xorg.conf

You need to create a copy of this file at /.configure dir.
In case of NVIDIA GPU, you need to comment the line that set's to unlimited and uncomment the file that set it to limited. It's in the end of the above link.
And it's not a receiver's issue, but a TV issue. Doesn't matter If you are using a Denon X4000 or the good old 1910, you should give a try limiting the signal. In fact, if your receiver is not upscaling or downscaling the image (passthrough only), it will not change anything to the image.

Cheers.
(2013-12-10, 21:10)FireMan Wrote:
(2013-12-10, 21:00)donkamillo Wrote: Now I have my Denon AVR-X4000. What a device! The audio is magnificent! And one of the first things I tried was XBMC with full range RGB. And it works perfectly. I removed the option line in the xorg.conf to set it to limited and rebooted XBMC with full range. The black levels look perfectly.

Regards!
No, it doesn't.
You can see the default xorg.conf at OpenELEC's wiki:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=..._xorg.conf

You need to create a copy of this file at /.configure dir.
In case of NVIDIA GPU, you need to comment the line that set's to unlimited and uncomment the file that set it to limited. It's in the end of the above link.
And it's not a receiver's issue, but a TV issue. Doesn't matter If you are using a Denon X4000 or the good old 1910, you should give a try limiting the signal. In fact, if your receiver is not upscaling or downscaling the image (passthrough only), it will not change anything to the image.

Cheers.

I have not changed any of the default video up-scaling settings for my receiver, but it looks pretty darn good already. I do have some content that may be 720p, but mostly everything I play is 1080p. So I could probably turn it off and see how the picture looks after setting the proper RGB range.
Yep no problems with the new Marantz processor woot.
Not sure when the amplifier's upscaling would be relevant. If you run XBMC at (eg) 1920x1080 then XBMC will scale the GUI and any video to 1920x1080 and your amplifier won't be scaling at all.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-11, 10:53)nickr Wrote: Not sure when the amplifier's upscaling would be relevant. If you run XBMC at (eg) 1920x1080 then XBMC will scale the GUI and any video to 1920x1080 and your amplifier won't be scaling at all.

True, but it would be processing the video. But I did find after disabling it, that there was little difference.
(2013-12-10, 21:00)donkamillo Wrote: It looks to me that some users should use the limited RGB range. With my old AVR-1910 it was nessesary. I'm not sure, but doesn't OpenElec use limited color range by default?
Recent Intel linux drivers use limited range by default when connected to a TV/video monitor (specifically, a device that reports supporting different RGB quantization ranges and a CEA video mode is selected).
I recently installed xbmcbuntu with gotham. I have an nvidia gt430 and a limited range tv, no avr.

Can someone please clarify the settings that I need for optimal black levels please. I think I am experiencing black crush with both limited set to on or off in the gui of xbmc.
(2013-11-29, 05:39)Ned Scott Wrote: I'd try with a nightly build (wiki) and see if the new limited color range setting helps:

XBMC -> Settings -> System -> Video output -> Use limited color range (16-235)

Is there a way to set this on OpenElec? I assumed limited range was the default, but my blacks look raised.
I am having problems with below black also. This used to work for me just fine. I don't even see the option in XBMC to select full range and I get an error in Xorg.0.log that full range is not supported by the display or GPU. I did recently change from a GT 460 to a GT 610, but I hadn't checked the settings in a while and I also recently updated the nvidia drivers. So I don't know if this is a driver issue or if the 610 dropped support for below black.

Here's what I have:
XBMC 13.0Alpha!! Git:8eb49b3 compiled Jan 4
Ubuntu 12.04
Nvidia GT 610
nvidia-304/precise-updates uptodate 304.116-0ubuntu0.0.1
nvidia-common/precise-updates uptodate 1:0.2.44.2
nvidia-current/precise-updates uptodate 304.116-0ubuntu0.0.1
nvidia-settings/precise-updates uptodate 331.20-0ubuntu0.0.1

uname -r
3.2.0-58-generic

In Xorg.conf I have the following in the Screen section:
Option "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"
Option "ColorRange" "Full"
Read http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1562336
My AVR for example ignores everything not in Limited Range. Therefore I need to take care everything I send through it matches the correct range.

I gathered some test images to show the issues:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...b_test.jpg Most likely you only see the two lower rows when you run in Full RGB but the hardware only can do Limited Range.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55728161/graumc.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...172435.png <- that one is a nice one. With a Limited Display and full rgb set, you only see black.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...ierung.jpg

So, now it gets even worse:
For example my Samsung TV has his full / Limited Range hidden in Black Levels: normal <- full range and Black Levels: Low <- Limited Range.

So I suggest two steps:
a) Make sure you see most of the gray values on the test figures
b) Make sure that black is really black (with e.g. the samsung settings I just told).

Btw. my AVR is quite tricky. If I plug in the cable directly to the TV I can have Full Range just fine :-) Happy fiddeling.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Levels Terrible on XBMC0