Black Levels Terrible on XBMC
The thing is mine used to work with full range and YCbCr444 through my receiver just fine, also my blu-ray player passes blacker than black through the receiver. Unless there's some setting in my receiver that I accidentally changed that affect only one input (very unlikely) it seems like it's a driver issue or the change from the 460 to the 610. I attempted to roll back the driver, but I can't figure out how to do that, I've got nvidia-current rolled back to 304.88, but XBMC still reports 304.116.
Report that to xswat nvidia driver maintainer, Ive noticed that exactly when rolling back that version of driver.

you probably need to purge the xswat ppa in meanwhile and update apt-get and revert both driver and nvidia-settings.
Well I think part of my problem is that I did do a purge recently, so I no longer have the older stuff available to me. I can't figure out how to use apt to download and install a specific version as every place I've looked provides instructions for installing an older package that you have on your system.
Boing!!

Read what I said, when you remove the xswat ppa (presuming you added it in forst place) the regular drivers are in regular ubuntu ppas therefore when you purge all other ppas you get back the old drivers and all you need to do is reinstall.

In any case installing specific package versions is well documented in interwebs.
Ah,by purge the xswat ppa I thought you meant purge apt, not get rid of that ppa altogether.

And every time I've searched for something like "roll back" or "install older version" with regards to apt I get stuff telling you to check which versions you got in apt-cache then forcing an install of one of those versions. From what I've gathered ppas don't keep older versions of packages around, so you can only roll back to versions you have cached locally. If you do a purge, you're hosed. Again, that's just based on the info I've found so far, and some of it seems conflicting, which is how things go with linux. Hell, look at this thread. FernetMenta says YCbCr444 is limited only, but I know with 100% certainty that it used to work for me in full range, yet I know FernetMenta usually knows what he's talking about. I've calibrated my own TV for years, I got a good handle on blacker-than-black and what it means and how you can test it and set your brightness, etc. So I know I wasn't imagining it before or just confused.

I'll try without the xswat ppa and see what happens. If that doesn't change things I might just live with it for now. In the coming months I'll be moving, getting a new pre/pro and changing displays. And of course the nvidia drivers will continue to change and I'm sure we'll get another alpha or a beta at some point.
@KeithLM: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...tions.html <- check

Quote:"YCbCr444": sets color space to YCbCr 4:4:4. YCbCr supports only limited color range. It is not possible to set this color space if the GPU or display is not capable of limited range.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
By purge xswat ppa I mean kick it to the curb, get rid of it.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current nvidia-settings   <<-- if that is the current packages names.
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings   <<-- that should be distro version 304.88 going in.
for determining packages installed and candidates

Code:
apt-cache policy packagename

For installing specific package versions from get go this works for every package both OS side and of course xbmc (sicne xbmc is also a package).

Code:
sudo apt-get install packagename=1.3.2-5~bpo1

and that is not even going into apt-cache and using dpkg there is no need for that unless packages simply dont exist anymore, its a last resort measure imo. Yes if you purge apt-cache (notice I never asked you to do that) you will loose the list of downloaded packages locally.

FYI I hate repeating stuff that can be found commonly on internet, but its clear that you are operating under some assumptions that are a bit in need of refreshing with facts.

Also dont forget to report the packaging problem from x-swat ppa to the nvidia driver maintainer. Smile

Finally you cant keep ignoring what you are being told about limited range and most importantly what Fernetmenta has made clear here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1562336 and what fritsch is telling you.

On the topic of limited range, let the driver do its thing, it needs to be in full range and is so by default (dont fiddle with drivers forcing them to limited range thers no need)
Your TV and or AVR is set in limited range specifically (fritsch gave you a great pointer about Samsung TV's which is 100% correct) and so is XBMC set in limited range and then all works with minimal fuss and correctly. (provided your TV supports it, if not your done)
(2013-12-11, 16:10)raidflex Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 10:53)nickr Wrote: Not sure when the amplifier's upscaling would be relevant. If you run XBMC at (eg) 1920x1080 then XBMC will scale the GUI and any video to 1920x1080 and your amplifier won't be scaling at all.

True, but it would be processing the video. But I did find after disabling it, that there was little difference.

All you needed to do (obviously months too late) is disable the Onkyo video processing.
I'm NOT referring to HDMI passthrough for video on the receiver.
There's an undocumented feature to disable ALL video processing of any description on Onkyo receivers, google it.
It will have the effect of removing ALL OSD overlays though.

Doing this allows full range video signal on an Onkyo receiver, otherwise you're stuck with 24bit or whatever it is.
uNiversal, it turns out I wasn't even using x-swat. My upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 turned off that ppa. So 304.116 was coming from the distro's ppa, not from x-swat.

As far as doing an install of a specific version, I've been running that command, and it's been downgrading, but I don't think it goes through the whole process, it doesn't update initramfs. So I think that's why I keep ending up with 304.116 no matter what I do. I even tried to go back to 295.40 with no success. I tried running update-initramfs -u after installing 304.88 but then X wouldn't start as the Xorg log showed 304.116 and then errored out saying itfailed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. The syslog showed 304.88 at that point.

Also, how do you determine those version numbers without apt-cache? They are so long and detailed, you can't just guess at them. I can pull the following from my system now:
304.116-0ubuntu1~xedgers~precise1 <- x-swat version
304.116-0ubuntu0.0.1
304.88-0ubuntu0.0.2
295.40-0ubuntu1

Now without checking apt-cache and seeing those, how am I supposed to other previous versions? This is not a trivial task so far as I can determine. And as I also said, some sources on the net say that the distros don't hold previous versions. Maybe they are wrong, but I have been searching, I've spent hours looking up ways to find previous versions, trying to find changelogs and lists of previous nvidia drivers, reading all sorts of instructions for reverting and downgrading. While everything I find makes it look like a straightforward, easy process, as I've said before, it's just not taking.
idk, it seems trivial enough here. If its not taking clearly something is broken what idk and tbh, I dont upgrade distros because of not wanting to be bothered with breakages and chasing breakages in all sorts of packages.

With respect to color spaces you have been explained what to do and how to do it, what you should do and shouldn't do, this drivers issue is also not ontopic for this thread and if you have drivers problems maybe you can try to troubleshoot it somewhere else like #ubuntu at freenode or something Wink
(2014-02-23, 13:56)robo989 Wrote: There's an undocumented feature to disable ALL video processing of any description on Onkyo receivers, google it.

It is absolutely crucial for every Onkyo owner to do this, you don't want it interfering with the signal in any way.

+ It prevents the AVR from interfering with the RGB range
+ It can improve the picture quality of certain types of content because it disables all kinds of picture processing
+ Refresh rate switch time is reduced

- You lose the OSD. No big deal.
Hmm, what exactly is the Limiited Range setting meant to do or solve?

I finally managed to get my Intel HD Driver to output full RGB to my Samsung 55F8000 (set to full RGB) as well. Tried out MPC-HC/MadVR and finally saw black levels that were previously clipped (17 & 18 specifically). Note that Samsung seems to clip below 16 over HDMI. Get the same result with Xbox, All good if played using built in player thru USB port or DVD THX disk using component connection - can see BTB and 0-16 easy. I can live with the over hdmi clipping as long as i can see 17+

Installed Gotham and XBMC looked better too on the low level pluge and APL test (AVS HD) - very similar to MPC-HC/MadVR. All good thus far. Very excited.

Then moved onto Grayscale Ramp. Oh dear. Banding on XBMC. Perfect on MPC-HC/MadVR.

Don't get it. I figured the limited RGB setting would take YCbCr and convert to limited RGB and thus get rid of the horrid banding but doesn't look like.

Any thought Devs?

Edit: oops - sorry didn't realise this was a Linux forum. I am obviously running on Windows but reckon above still holds?
Driver should be set to full rgb, the TV then is set to limited (some Samsung tvs this option is in Picture-> hdmi black level and set to low.) Then xbmc is set to limited.
Ok, so just tried something else. Set RGB input on Intel HD Driver to Full (prev Limited). Set XBMC to Full RGB as well (ie disabled Limited).

Left Intel HD RGB output to Full and TV to Full (Normal setting) on Samsung.

Black levels still good (17+).

Banding still present.

So, I guess that the YCbCr to RGB (limited or full) conversion is not using dithering like MadVR and thus introducing artefacts?

Disappointed Sad

(2014-04-16, 16:54)uNiversal Wrote: Driver should be set to full rgb, the TV then is set to limited (some Samsung tvs this option is in Picture-> hdmi black level and set to low.) Then xbmc is set to limited.

Tried that too. Crushes the blacks something terrible Sad
What xbmc version you running? Anything esle other then v13 is wrong for this.

If you set it up correctly on driver and TV and xbmc it should work, else you haven't set it up properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Levels Terrible on XBMC0