Updating XBMC and Keep Viewcount Flags
I have an ATV2 and running XBMC. Is there a way to update to the current version or nightlies and keep the play count? I have a couple thousand DVDs scanned into my NAS and want to keep my play count this time when I upgrade or flash the system. I know I can keep the sql files and just put them back in there, but I would like to start off with a fresh install of XBMC. That said, i would like to keep the info that has the flag that tells XBMC if that episode/movie has been seen before. Also, the info that tells XBMC where I left off so I can resume iOS also desired. And of course carry over the data that has the link to my NAS and the location of all the movies.

That is the best way to carry this info across to the next install, update and have a completely new install and keep the previous movie/view data intact.

Thanks!
export your library (choose option separate folder). This will create nfo files for each of your media and will contain the watched status. When you import, you have to add a settings to your advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file that will import watched status. But when moving to gotham, its should migrate your library.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
I tried doing this, but it wants to overwrite the files on my nas. If I say no, nothing happens,and if I say yes, it complains about not being able to write the nfo file. I hav changed permissions on the has to 777 on a few files to test and still no love. Only way too export it is to use a single file, which doesn't keep play count and is recommended against. I am on froyo.

Is there a way to do this? i'd like to nuke my XBMC since it is crashing so much and install the latest stable, but also keep my watch count in tact and all my meta seta as well. I have all files on NAS in their own folder, named as recommended with fan art, tbn, sub and nfo files.

Not sure why this isn't working.

Is it supposed to overwrite the fan art, poster and info files when you export the library?

Thanks
Fix your permissions so that you can do the export. If you say no to overwrite, it will only export content that doesn't exist

see above. it's not a permissions issue. they are 777. what else could it be?
Have you set the permissions for the FOLDERS containing the files to 777 ?

It is a permissions issue. Of that there is no doubt.
chmod -R 777 movies dir so yes. Also, iptables only allows access from that machine. I'm using NFS. Could it be an issue with spaces in the file and folder name like "MOVIES/Pitch Black - 2000/Pitch Black_tt0134847_720p.nfo" instead of having "MOVIES/Pitch_Black_-_2000/Pitch_Black_tt0134847_720p.nfo?"

I also notice that "new folder" is greyed out when i use XBMC to browse for new files on the NAS. I am leaning towards less permissions issue and something up with XBMC thinking the permissions are RO instead of RW.

Perhaps there is another way to export the video library and maintain the watched flag instead of exporting library through settings, because this seems like a dead end. I don't just want to backup the user data did and upgrade and move it back. Every time i do that it seems to cause issues with xvmc crashing and it takes waty to long to add and scrape the whole NAS every time I update..
Too technical for ya huh?

Ok then.
Watched status can be set in NFOs. advancedsettings.xml can set to read the watched status.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
Yes I am aware of that. i don't want to manually change the status on thousands of DVDs.
After re-reading your second post. If all you want to do is start a fresh xbmc install because of crashes, this has nothing to do with your library. it could be the installation itself. For exporting you have 2 ways via xbmc or exporting your sql DB manually. If you want to start a fresh DB as well, then reinstall xbmc (without touching your DB) point it back to your current DB and test the export to see if it fixes the permission issue if you think XBMC is the culprit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating XBMC and Keep Viewcount Flags0