NAS media server
i want to build a media storage server for my home for music ,1080p movies ,and tv shows , what would be the best set-up for this type of device ? this will be my first server build ever and i'm looking forward to the challenge.
I have a Fritz!box 7390 with a 1TB Seagate drive which I can access with my iPad, iPhone, G Box MX2, Apple TV2, laptop and also from anywhere in the world with internet access, the Fritz!box 7390 is here:

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZ.../index.php

been using it for 3 years without a hitch!

Cheers ............ Gerry N
"best" depends on your requirements, priorities, and budget.
If you plan to build your own then I'd say you have two choices (there are more but these are the two most popular) -- unraid or flexraid.

I have an unraid media server and it just works. I also run flexraid on my desktop PC and it works ok as well. For a media server I prefer unraid because it was designed specifically to be a media storage solution. Unraid vs. flexraid can sometimes be a touchy subject but for a media server I'd say unraid is a no-brainer.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2013-12-01, 00:21)wsume99 Wrote: If you plan to build your own then I'd say you have two choices (there are more but these are the two most popular) -- unraid or flexraid.

I have an unraid media server and it just works. I also run flexraid on my desktop PC and it works ok as well. For a media server I prefer unraid because it was designed specifically to be a media storage solution. Unraid vs. flexraid can sometimes be a touchy subject but for a media server I'd say unraid is a no-brainer.

Unfair is free and pretty easy to set up.
I bought a ZyXEL NSA310 and it does the job fine.
http://www.zyxel.com/be/nl/products_serv....shtml?t=p
After thought on Fritz!box .............. with the Fritz!box you don't need to have the computer on to access the media, also my family and friends have a password and user name so they can watch the 700 or so films on the NAS drive, not to mention photos, documents etc. You are able to restrict users to folders and also set up an ftp access if needed.
Also it has a fantastic telephone and VoIP facility.
I used an old PC case I had lying around with a mobo and RAM already in it, set it up with two 1T WD hdd's and a 320G drive, then installed Ubuntu server edition on it. Runs my home server very nicely, serving out TV and movies through NFS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS media server0