Linux Interrupts when playing HD FLAC files
Hi to all,

I am using FRODO 12.2 with Ubuntu 13.04 and a Cambridge DAC Magic+ over USB.
When playing HD-/SD-FLAC files with different sampling- and bitrates (16-bit / 24-bit and from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz) I have always
interrupts at the end of the title. This appears only when playing a HD-FLAC file (i.e. 24-bit / 96 kHz) and the next title is a SD-FLAC file with 16-bit/44.1 kHz.
There is no interruption when playing only SD-FLACs or only HD-FLACs continously. Recently I read a report about XBMC in the HiFi-Digital magazine
and they mentioned the same problem.
Does anyone knows if this behaviour is fixed with Gotham?

Regards,
Krischan
It is fixed. Leave output configuration to optimized in audio settings.
I tested with current XBMC 13 Nightly (with setting "optimized" in audio settings) and Ubuntu 13.10 with current kernel but the audio playback hangs when I play several FLACs with different samplerates. For example: When I hear a 44.1 kHz FLAC file and the next file in the playlist is a 192 kHz FLAC then there are no interrupts at the end of the 44.1 kHz FLAC file (like Frodo did), but after playing the 44.1 kHz file the DAC switched to 192 kHz but the playback of the 192 kHz file didn't start. When I switch "Pause" and "Play" again, XBMC hangs. Now I'm using a T+A DAC8 but it's the same failure with the Cambridge DAC
XBMC logfile see: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=105388
You don't use your DAC - at least you don't do that in your log.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
My DAC is device 3 in the XBMC.log file. It is connected via ALC898 S/PDIF Toslink connection. I prefer the direct connection via USB, but the problem is that the DAC appears with two devices in aplay -l and the first device (Device 0) produces distortions, so the manufacturer recommends using Device 1. XBMC always uses Device 0, so I have to workaround this by using the Toslink connection. See also my other posting in this forum http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180635
In the audio settings I'm using "best match" and max. Samplingrate 192 kHz. The "optimized" or "fixed" is not bit-perfect playback, because of upsampling. When I'm using "optimized" the playback is ok but not bit-perfect. Confused
Congratulation that you hear the difference :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I tested with several FLAC files and with different samplingrates. When using fixed samplingrate (e.g. 192 kHz) the upsampled FLACs are a little bit more louder and have
too much fundamental tones. It sounds like too much loudness :-(

So it will be very good, if the playback bug will be fixed under "best fit" in audio output settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Interrupts when playing HD FLAC files0