Raspberry Pi setup questions
Hi everyone,

I can start of by saying I'm confused. Just confused because I read too much information on the internet and now I do not know what to do anymore. Hence this topic because it's just too crowded and difficult to find what I'm looking for or how I should do it.

Currently I have following hardware:
  • Raspberry Pi Model B
  • USB stick running OpenElec on the Pi
  • WD MyCloud HDD (2x)
  • Samsung U46F8000 46" TV
  • Gigabit Ethernet switch
I'm willing to use this to setup my XBMC media center. Can I?

For example, I'm reading stories about "not enough processor power" on the Pi in order to play 1080p videos.

So I will setup the system as follows:

TV connected to the Pi using HDMI
TV connected to the switch using ethernet

Pi connected to HDD 1 (USB), HDD 2 (USB), USB stick with OpenElec

HDD 1 connected to switch
HDD 2 connected to switch

Is this possible? Am I doing the right action or am I making mistakes in my manner of thinking?

Thank in advance!
No need to plug HDDs in rpi USB, just use them over LAN. So connect rPi to Switch instead.

cheers Nordish
Sounds fine to me. Looks like the MyCloud support SMB/AFP/NFS/FTP. I'd recommend connecting with NFS which has the best performance.
There should be no problem playing 1080p movies.
Great guys! Love the feedback.

It will give me no problem using the HDD's over the switch? Ethernet will not cause any delays? Personally I find this a great solution because then I need no SUB hub on the Pi.

(Apparently I cannot give you guys rep points. Sorry about that..)
(2013-12-01, 14:33)Ritsuke Wrote: It will give me no problem using the HDD's over the switch? Ethernet will not cause any delays? Personally I find this a great solution because then I need no SUB hub on the Pi.

No, I think most people play videos over the network.
100MBit/s ethernet is more than enough for 1080p video.
Great. Thanks mate!
you`ll need a good power supply, you can have the best set-up money can buy, But without a "Good" power supply you`ll hit problems.
And what exactly do you mean by a "good power supply"? Examples?
I use a home-made y-cable from a usb to power my raspberry pi, so cant say what a good power supply is
That one definitly not ...

Get a 5V 2A PU and this should do it. If you add USB devices with bigger power needs - add them by using a powered USB hub for not sucking up the main PU.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The only USB connected will be the memory stick running OpenElec. I guess I don't need an extra hub for that?

Thanks for the 5V 2A suggestion.
(2013-12-02, 18:54)Ritsuke Wrote: The only USB connected will be the memory stick running OpenElec. I guess I don't need an extra hub for that?

Memory sticks are normally fine without a hub.
You guys are great. I've got all the support I could have hoped for. Cheers guys!
Noob looking for a complete walk through on setting up my raspberry pi and installing software . Want to use it for movies etc plz HELP youtube videos were no help
(2014-08-22, 17:25)Nicky c Wrote: Noob looking for a complete walk through on setting up my raspberry pi and installing software . Want to use it for movies etc plz HELP youtube videos were no help

Totally new to it as well however I managed to get up and running, still sorting through some issues for sure but I will try to help you if I can.

I found this usefull for formatting my SD CARD etc..... http://tasksofohm.wordpress.com/hardware...pberry-pi/

I followed this to set up NOOBS on the SD card......http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/

Get that much done and I will try and find the Youtube video I watched to help guide me.

BTW I am probably not the best resource but I can try to help and others can join in. (Not sure if the moderator would like this to be it's own thread)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi setup questions0