No thumbnail extraction on SMB file list.
Hoping someone can help me out here.
Under my old system, XBMC had no problems pulling a thumbnail randomly from a file which I really liked.
Ever since moving to my new Openelec system however, the thumbnail generation process for networked files has been slow at best. I've noticed it takes forever for the system to total the amount of time of all the files in the folder, and maybe one or two files will ever get a thumbnail (the rest remain all blank).

A quick glance through the debug log shows a few lines of interest for the files it will not make thumbnails for:
DEBUG: DoWork - trying to extract thumb from video file smbSadfilename)
Error: DEBUG: ExtractThumb - decode failed after 161 packets.

I thought it might be due to the number of files, but this never made a difference. Could someone take a look at the debug log and point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Debug: http://pastebin.com/NR04umju
(This log is a few months old, but the issue still remains)
bump?
You are versions behind in openelec, try updating!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ya, that log was a few months old. I've since upgraded yet the issue remains. I'll get an updated log later today.
New debug log is up:
http://pastebin.com/Jq0nhWi0

I noticed when it successfully scrapes an image, it is reflected as:

extractThumb - measured 653 ms to extract thumb from file <smb://FILE NAME> in 11 packets.

But still when it will not load a thumb, the same error(s) repeats:

ExtractThumb - decode failed in smb:/FILE NAME after 161 packets.
CSmbFile::Close closing fd 10000
DoWork - trying to extract thumb from video file smb://FILENAME

Does anybody see something going on here that I am missing? Thanks!
I have no idea, perhaps it has nothing to do with smb and some of your video files are bit able to be properly decoded to a thumbnail?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
True, but my osx version has no problem with thumbnail generation for those same videos.
hmmm, very weird. OpenELEC does have a few changes that might not be in the normal XBMC master branch, so maybe it's something in one of those?
I see. So this issue would be more with the Openelec framework and need to be looked into by them?
So I noticed the exact same thing last night. 4 new tv shows came in last night, on the openelec pi 2 of them had thumbnails the other two didn't. On my regular htpc xmbc the thumbnails were there with no issue. I'm new to openelec, only first tried it a few days ago.
(2013-12-04, 17:40)shadd22 Wrote: I see. So this issue would be more with the Openelec framework and need to be looked into by them?

Maybe. Sometimes OE picks up some fixes that are also waiting to be included in normal XBMC, so it could be just that they've come across a bug before we have, or some weird combination of things. It might be a good idea to mention this on the OE bug tracker, at least.
This has been happening to me on OE as well. On a lot of episodes from a while back.

My windows install had extracted the thumbs successfully back then (about a year ago), but now the latest OE is unable to do so.
I have this issue on my pc which uses the intel build of openelec but not on another pc that uses the nvidia ion build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No thumbnail extraction on SMB file list.0