Looking to upgrade from roku/plex
Hi all, new here. I've been pretty happy with my roku/plex combo for the past few years but recently I've been feeling it lacking. I'm wondering if running xbmc on a NUC might be better for me.

The Two things roku/plex that bug me the most are when playing my bluray backups. Basically, the 1080p still doesn't look as good as when playing straight off the disc on my br player. I have read there is a bitrate limit on the Roku ( I have a roku 3) of 8 Mbps. I've tried many encoding schemes, following rokoding guides and others, and nothing seems to give me the quality I'm looking for.

Even streaming from netflix on the roku 3 doesn't hit the same quality as when I stream the same thing from my tv's native netflix app.

The other thing is 3d, has to be either sbs or ou or whatever, so you lose either half horizontal or vertical resolution. This seems to even make the problem worse, and 3d ends up looking like crap. Streaming 3d from vudu on my tv looks just fine however and comparable to straight from a bd. Again makes me think he issue is roku 3/ plex.

So I'm just wondering if I invest the time and money to build a mc running xbmc will it be better than my current setup in terms of PQ from 2d and 3d bd rips?
Yes, significantly
Cutting transcoding out of the equation will always seriously improve picture quality.

So that, coupled with no real bitrate limit to begin with, should represent a massive upgrade.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to upgrade from roku/plex0