Why won't my Pi XBMC see my hard drive?
Hello

I am trying to put my Pi to good use as a XBMC at work. The plan is to duct-tape the Pi + USB hard drive to the back of a TV at work.

I have XBMC up and running but for the life of me, I do not know how to get my laptop size USB hard drive to work with the XBMC. All I can hear is a clicking noise on the hard drive. I started to panic thinking that the drive was about to die.

It s a 750Gb drive and formatted with NTFS.

At the moment the XBMC is connected with a wireless mouse, but if need be then I can connect a keyboard if I need to do some magic typing and other such stuff.

Cheers
2 things + 1 extra

1) Some RPI power supply wont have enough power to power the usb drive and whatever else you have plugged in to usb hub, not enough power does just that,click click and nothing or a usb drive with its own power supply or a powered usb hub will solve issue read this http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs.
2) try mounting the drive via fstab or similar in the OS with a different filesystem as well

Extra google is your friend http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-add-...pberry-pi/ < it mentions both issues and possible solutions which I already outlined for you.

Another solution is this
Ok chaps

I've now connected a powered hard drive to my Pi.

Please explain how I would find my hard drive. Its formatted as NTFS. When I work out how to find my hard drive then I will reformat it Linux frendly.

Cheers
cat /dev/sd*

or

dmesg

or

mount

any of those commands will give you a hint.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you read the link I posted if using NTFS you need to install ntfs-3g prior to trying what nickr said, in fact its all explained there, the least you can do is read the content of the link, since I went to the effort of googling it and posting it for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why won't my Pi XBMC see my hard drive?0