Linux PVR Newb here. Please help.
Hey guys. For the last several years I've been using XBMC as my media player. I'm familiar with XBMC and I'm hoping to stick with it.

I recently picked up an HDHomeRun prime. I'm hoping to use XBMC as a PVR at this point. I've taken a look at the wiki, and find things to be a bit confusing. I have installed the mythtv backend, but can't seem to get it configured properly. Here is a quick rundown of the hardware I'm using.

Mobo: Gigabyte ga 970-ud3
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black edition
RAM: 16gb G.Skill DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX660
PSU: Corsair HX750
HD: Western Digital Black edition 2tb
Case: Fractal Design Node 605
TV: Samsung 55' LED Smart TV (240hz)

Up to this point the machine runs good. XBMC seems to be working well playing back content I already have. Since adding the HDHomeRun prime, I've been able to (under videos) add files, chose UPnP devices, find the prime, and manually select channels. They come right up and that's working fine. That's where I'm at up to this point.

Like I said before I did install the Mythtv backend server. I can't seem to configure it properly. When I click on the mythtv backend setup, it brings up a brownish screen. I select english, then I get my first error saying "MythTV could not connect to the database. Please verify your database settings below". I honestly don't know what any of these settings should be, so I was hoping just the default values would work. So I click next, the second page of the setup I just left alone and clicked finish. At this point, it closes the setup screen for a split second and relaunches it and starts the whole thing over.

I've deleted and reinstalled xbmc and the backend a few different times with all the same luck. I've been through the xbmc wiki, but that also isn't really helping me...maybe I'm just an idiot? Huh

All I really want to do is watch tv, and record tv, then have the option to take and store my recordings on my server (I'll transfer via external, as my network is down at the moment due to construction). I feel like this shouldn't be such a daunting task, but so far it's getting the better of me.

Thanks in advance.
-RYknow
Join the mythtvusers mailing list and ask about mythtv setup there. This is not really the best place to get mythtv setup advice - this is an xbmc forum.

Once you have mythtv working, getting the xbmc cmyth pvr client working is pretty simple.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ok, thanks for the input.

-RYknow

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Newb here. Please help.1