s video, bad quality
Hello all,

I installed XBMXBuntu on an old pc with a nvidea GFX card, using S-Video to connect to my old CRT television.
The problem is now that the colors are flat and there is distortion on the tv.. it's watchable, but with flat colors (almost B/W) it's not what i expected, is there a way to improve this?
1. The CRT TV is a problem. That's really old tech and you aren't going to get very good quality on a screen like that.

2. S-Video is a terrible interconnect. You need to be using an RGB Component cable or HDMI cable (but your TV probably won't support that) minimum.

The S-Video connection MUST go, it's a very poor and low quality way to connect a source to a CRT TV.

But to be brutally honest, that CRT TV is also the problem. You need an LCD flat screen (or Plasma).
I do get what SiliconKid is saying, and I agree with him, but before we start chucking away TV's and gfx cards, just test this.

Other than XBMC, what does the rest of the computer look like on the CRT Monitor? stuff like normal OS, pictures, etc? if this is also displaying "flat", try and check in the control center of the GFX and play around with some settings, maybe you can still salvage your setup.

If the rest of the "computer" displays fine, and its just xbmc, what does playing a video through say VLC look like? if this also looks fine, and the problem is just with XBMC not displaying correctly, how about setting up vlc as an external player?
I have xbmcbuntu on it, nothing else, it all looks bad tbh, geuss i Need to look around Fr. Something new Undecided
With XBMCbuntu, you can boot up to the desktop environment instead of the XBMC app (select session name "XBMCbuntu" instead of "XBMC" on the log-in window). From the desktop, you can perform the tests endlesslyonline suggested.
Hello Artrafael, i don't get a login screen, when i boot the system it goes straight to the mediaplayer, is there a key combination?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
s video, bad quality0