Will we ever see xbmc on non jail broken ios devices
(2013-12-08, 16:05)Martijn Wrote: All videoplayers in there use the native apple HW player. We use our own.

Actually AcePlayer uses its own, and in fact plays just about everything you can throw at it (on an iPhone 4S)

Will also happily detect XBMCs library (and any other upnp/dnla devices) and play direct on the device. Also works with samba and FTP servers, and even online.

Unfortunately they had to remove ac3 decoding, fortunately I never updated to that version Smile other than that I would say it is close to perfect (and no I haven't any vested interest in it)

Edit
I forgot to mention you can even download media to your device to watch when you aren't on a network
(2013-12-08, 16:05)Martijn Wrote: slapping some apps together doesn't make XBMC!
Also those are all closed source ones. You need to understand the rules of the iOS store and the implications it has on any software you write for it.
All videoplayers in there use the native apple HW player. We use our own.

So that makes this totally out of scope for the XBMC forum.

I never said it would make xbmc?
I have a feeling you are either in a bad mood, trolling or not reading the threads in its entirety?

We already have an official xbmc remote app, all we need is to add upnp to this (this is not closed) and/or an open media player such as VLC (on App Store) or our own player.

I never said make it, I said work with 3rd party devs (commander/constellation delves active on these forums) for Non official xbmc "style" interaction from iOS devices.

Anyway, I've seen many other interactions with you re certain topics, and you tend to follow the path of "I'm right, even when I'm wrong" so it's ok to step back, as I sense you have a negative attitude toward this particular topic (looking at past history) Wink

@spoyser I'll check that app out? I searched high and low, maybe I missed this one Big Grin again thanks for the advice, anything that's close and still being worked on is a good start Smile

Edit:
Just bought it and it doesn't play avi or mkv vid upnp? Does play mp4 though. Perhaps a bug in the latest version. DTS and ac3 would be good too Smile
[quote='PatrickBateman' pid='1569189' dateline='1386513767']
Quote:@spoyser
Just bought it and it doesn't play avi or mkv vid upnp? Does play mp4 though. Perhaps a bug in the latest version. DTS and ac3 would be good too Smile

Have you tried playing with the settings (there are quite a few!) I've never had any issues but as I said I'm on an earlier version (although I don't think they removed any video decoding)

Looking in the version history they removed ac3 in 12/12/12 so the version I have is quite old now so I guess they could have messed stuff up since then Sad
(2013-12-08, 17:14)spoyser Wrote: [quote='PatrickBateman' pid='1569189' dateline='1386513767']
Quote:@spoyser

Have you tried playing with the settings (there are quite a few!) I've never had any issues but as I said I'm on an earlier version (although I don't think they removed any video decoding)

Looking in the version history they removed ac3 in 12/12/12 so the version I have is quite old now so I guess they could have messed stuff up since then Sad

It looks like a bug with upnp as it just refuses to play any not native iOS formats. No biggie though, it was only pocket change and may likely be resolved soon Smile

This was kind of the point I was making earlier though, I've currently now invested close to £30 (which is fine) testing apps. If xbmc had an official remote either upnp and a player they would have received those funds. Considering upnp is a supported feature and could give us a very close approximation to an xbmc experience, I'm surprised they don't just add in upnp to their own app or why commander / constellation don't do it bad charge for a pro version? How many users downloaded the xbmc app? I'd be interested to know the numbers, because if tomorrow there was an in app purchase for upnp plus player features and codec licence for £4.99 or even £9.99 I'd buy it in a heart beat.

I wonder if the constellation guys could add it? It's an interesting thought / pipe dream for me none the less Big Grin
I don't think we will ever see xbmc on a non-jailbroken device. It's just not possible and a stripped down version goes against the vision of the xbmc devs so they won't be doing anything any time soon. Even adding UPnP support to the remote apps is a stretch. Its pretty hard to get a DTS licence, at least it seems that way judging by how few apps have it, none have added it as iap yet (aside from the obvious ones like cinex and powerdvd) - and unless it gets subsidize I'm guessing its very expensive (I think its a flat rate upfront as well, not a 'per device licence' kind of thing). VLC on iOS is not very good, and personally would not like it as the 'player' on remote apps, its just too buggy / resource hog for me.

At some point a stripped down 'xbmc-like' experience should happen (look at Mediabrowser 3 or the new infuse 2.0 app), but it will be different. I would also love some sort of core xbmc 'experience' on an iOS device and would happily pay for it, but I don't think it comes down to either time or money - devs just don't want to do it (or have the hassle of trying to get around all the apple limitations). For now I think the only answer is jailbreaking...and when that doesn't become / isn't possible....I don't know hopefully something similar to infuse 2.0 can create a 'core' xbmc experience or unfortunately we may have to think about having two devices just to enjoy xbmc lol
On android you get a upnp control point. You browse upnp servers. You choose 'play' and it asks which player (either on the device or advertising as a upnp player on your network) you want to use.

Are you guys telling me there is no upnp control software that can do this on iOS?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-08, 20:59)nickr Wrote: On android you get a upnp control point. You browse upnp servers. You choose 'play' and it asks which player (either on the device or advertising as a upnp player on your network) you want to use.

Are you guys telling me there is no upnp control software that can do this on iOS?

Those exist on iOS, but none that will display the metadata inside of XBMC.
(2013-12-09, 01:45)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-12-08, 20:59)nickr Wrote: On android you get a upnp control point. You browse upnp servers. You choose 'play' and it asks which player (either on the device or advertising as a upnp player on your network) you want to use.

Those exist on iOS, but none that will display the metadata inside of XBMC.
I see.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't have any iOS devices anymore and don't plan to but I wonder...
Does it need the jailbreak for the operation of XBMC or just to bypass the app store?
Could a version of XBMC be released for the app store that is basically an install base for XBMC and then when selected it downloads and installs the rest of the app? As an option of course ;-)
Or will Apple see right through it?
Apple will see right through it.

As I understand it one of the problems with XBMC for Apple is that XBMC allows addons to be downloaded, which may allow anything to happen (and commonly they do!)
(2013-12-09, 10:37)T800 Wrote: I don't have any iOS devices anymore and don't plan to but I wonder...
Does it need the jailbreak for the operation of XBMC or just to bypass the app store?
Could a version of XBMC be released for the app store that is basically an install base for XBMC and then when selected it downloads and installs the rest of the app? As an option of course ;-)

Also the problem isn't with installing, there are already ways to do that with a developer account. The problem is that hardware decoding wont work without a jailbreak.... Something to do with sandboxes and api's blocking Tongue.

Eitherway the only way to get an xbmc like experience without a jailbreak is going to have to be a stripped down version and a 'new' video player I.e. one like the current apps on the app stores that use apples player rather than their own. Pretty much no chance of any xbmc dev doing that, so the only for of something like this will problem rely on a UPnP + metadata sharing or a completely different app such as infuse or media browser 3
(2013-12-09, 13:36)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-12-09, 10:37)T800 Wrote: I don't have any iOS devices anymore and don't plan to but I wonder...

Also the problem isn't with installing, there are already ways to do that with a developer account. The problem is that hardware decoding wont work without a jailbreak.... Something to do with sandboxes and api's blocking Tongue.

Eitherway the only way to get an xbmc like experience without a jailbreak is going to have to be a stripped down version and a 'new' video player I.e. one like the current apps on the app stores that use apples player rather than their own. Pretty much no chance of any xbmc dev doing that, so the only for of something like this will problem rely on a UPnP + metadata sharing or a completely different app such as infuse or media browser 3

Infuse doesn't communicate with xbmc I don't think? I have it on my iOS device, but it doesn't see xbmcs upnp Sad

I understand the limitations, but there are a few apps with AC3 and a couple with DTS as a 69p In app purchase. Plus many more offer HW acceleration in most videos.

It's possible, but like you say, very unlikely.
It's for this reason, I think plex is the best choice for iOS users as they have an app that allows all the features discussed here. I don't like that solution, but it's the only one I can find Sad
(2013-12-09, 23:30)PatrickBateman Wrote: Infuse doesn't communicate with xbmc I don't think? I have it on my iOS device, but it doesn't see xbmcs upnp Sad

No it doesn't, UPnP it might be able to take some day who knows. Its in very early stages of development but I'm pretty sure something LIKE this is the only answer to get an xbmc 'experience' on a non-jailbroken ios device, I really don't think xbmc (and it would have to be stripped which is why it will never happen) will get released to the app store.

(2013-12-09, 23:30)PatrickBateman Wrote: I understand the limitations, but there are a few apps with AC3 and a couple with DTS as a 69p In app purchase. Plus many more offer HW acceleration in most videos.

The apps that have DTS iap have it subsidized as they have some sort of deal with dolby, i.e. cinex is owned/created by dolby? The thing about HW acceleration is just that the current xbmc doesn't use the apple player but uses it's own which it can't do without a jailbreak (i think?)...obviously using the same player as the other app stores do is what you want but that won't happen either as no xbmc dev is willing / wants to attempt to do that. I get that adding a player to something like the remote apps would be cool and maybe someday that will happen once the UPnP features get more mature.

(2013-12-09, 23:30)PatrickBateman Wrote: It's possible, but like you say, very unlikely.
It's for this reason, I think plex is the best choice for iOS users as they have an app that allows all the features discussed here. I don't like that solution, but it's the only one I can find Sad

At the moment yeah, Plex or by the looks of it mediabrowser 3 is the only options currently, looking to the future a further developed infuse or something similar popping up might happen. I'd love some app that plays from the xbmc UPnP but even if that is a possibility its a few years off yet. Got no option but to jailbreak or wait for a jailbreak while using sub-par alternatives Sad. Oh I guess could just get another device Tongue
Yea, all valid and true.

Except 1 thing... Another device... Do they exist, surly not? Wink

Yea, I think infuse has it covered if they add support for streaming. I believe they use their own player (like other apps) and not the native iOS player which is good.

Hopefully someone will allow us poxy iOS users to communicate with xbmc in one way or another... Until then... Plex it is Undecided
x = How much would you pay for that app?

Code:
if x == 0:
    print 'you probably want an android phone anyway'
else:
    import urllib2
    urllib2.urlopen( 'http://www.kickstarter.com/' )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will we ever see xbmc on non jail broken ios devices2