Will we ever see xbmc on non jail broken ios devices
Jesus PatrickBateman when will you realise that:

1. Your hardware choice limits you severely to what you can do with it without jailbreak, you chose Apple, live with it.

2. People here don't develop software on demand, they develop software they care about, and thats it.

3. You have an opensource mechanism to have an XBMC like experience on iOS, namely mediabrowser3. Try it, it will perform for XBMC clients AND iOS clients.

4. You have several alternatives, like doing your own development, or if you are not a programmer paying someone to develop an iOS client that does what you want, getting an Android device and ditching your closed shop.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
nickr, where's the fire? I think maybe some misunderstanding is happening?
I have followed a few of Mr Bateman's posts. The overriding theme is "why doesn't someone do something about this iOS fiasco"

I am trying to reinforce that his closed hardware|OS decision isn't anyones problem but his, but that there are solutions.

Quote:It looks like a bug with upnp as it just refuses to play any not native iOS formats.

Well that's iOS for you, nothing XBMC can do except transcode, but XBMC is a player and quite rightly doesn't transcode.

Really it comes down to the well known fact that iOS isn't a great choice if you want choice!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-10, 11:37)nickr Wrote: I have followed a few of Mr Bateman's posts. The overriding theme is "why doesn't someone do something about this iOS fiasco"

I am trying to reinforce that his closed hardware|OS decision isn't anyones problem but his, but that there are solutions.

Quote:It looks like a bug with upnp as it just refuses to play any not native iOS formats.

Well that's iOS for you, nothing XBMC can do except transcode, but XBMC is a player and quite rightly doesn't transcode.

Really it comes down to the well known fact that iOS isn't a great choice if you want choice!

Well that's a lie?
Only recently has this come to light for me as we upgraded to non jailbreakable devices. I am only asking for advice on software solutions within iOS?

There's no need to behave like that, just because my choice is not the same as your choice.

I make/made NO demands, I actually did the opposite, I asked if anyone could point me in the direction of a solution?

I think you need to calm down, and accept that my choice of iOS and my quest to find a solution and converse with others in my situation is ok. It's not your choice, but it's ok.

(2013-12-10, 10:47)Ned Scott Wrote: nickr, where's the fire? I think maybe some misunderstanding is happening?

Cheers Ned.
I think his reply was a tad un warranted too. Perhaps he had a bad day, I forgive him Smile
Everyone think happy thoughts... happy thoughts...
How much would you pay to have what you want on your unJB ios device?

www.kickstarter.com

I'm serious.

a) What's it worth to you?
b) How many people feel the same?
c) What would it cost to pay someone to develop it for you?

Is a*b > c?
(2013-12-10, 14:42)Karnagious Wrote: How much would you pay to have what you want on your unJB ios device?

www.kickstarter.com

I'm serious.

a) What's it worth to you?
b) How many people feel the same?
c) What would it cost to pay someone to develop it for you?

Is a*b > c?

Ok I'll play Smile
A) I would happily pay the price I paid for my other applications. Let's say the same as I paid for Navigon ~£25 however I have since added Bolt ons to my navigon such as live traffic £5 / plus 3D maps £8 / play some other stuff? So £38 based on what I paid for my full European satnav with 3d maps and live traffic. Seems fair.

B) I'm not sure on this figure? Judging by general activity online. Many just wait and jailbreak. But it's those who are not so tech savvy ... The general public / the great unwashed, they love easy shit that just works! As do I when I can't jailbreak.

C) No idea? But I think that surly someone who is already invested (xbmc/ commander / constellation / nplayer / power player etc are likely to add this going forward. So me paying someone to do it (something that can be easily copied) may not be a great business decision. However, if I already had an app. I'd add this feature immediately as it would put me above the competition, enhance my current products functionality and be easier to implement as I already had an app used by the community Smile

It looks like the guys mentioned a few companies that are already looking into this. Thee appears to be 2 players in this market that are trying to get this done first. Cinexplayer and Infuse. They both sell for between £3/£5 and who ever gets it done first will likely get the most purchases. I just thought, if we could add it to our official xbmc remote app, and an in app purchase for "xbmc donation" at 69p ... Well.. We could probably raise funds like never before (I'd donate monthly if this was possibly via in app purchase as would many many more I'd assume) this would mean we get donations, we get happy users, we get more coverage and utilised more in certain scenarios. I just saw this as a win win situation.

It was just a thought and good discussion that led to me finding plexs app and the 2 mentioned above. So at worst, in time, I have an app on hold that May provide a solution to my non jail broken woes Smile
xbmc at £38 = sales fiasco. As much as I like, xbmc, I think you would be the only one paying that, even if it was £25 Wink
(2013-12-11, 18:14)PatrickVogeli Wrote: xbmc at £38 = sales fiasco. As much as I like, xbmc, I think you would be the only one paying that, even if it was £25 Wink

Not for the i-fans!

Sure, aren't they used to paying over the odds for their stuffTongue Devil
On a related subject, following is a teaser for the upcoming MB3 iPad app, which looks gorgeous IMO:
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index...ad-teaser/

Here's the iPhone app, which also looks great:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/media-br...d705058087

So while it would be really nice to have XBMC on a non-JB'd iOS device, there are some really nice alternatives out there. Install Trakd on both MB3 and XBMC and your libraries will stay in sync too. What's not to love?
Pat and Mayo missed the point of that little game Wink

I was asked what it was worth to ME :p
many people put a different value on a product. I was happy to pay £800 for my iPhone and another £800 for my iPad and another £2600 for my boutique PC. (We own a poop ton of iOS devices so add on another 5 or so devices and I'm still a happy customer - except fir no current jailbreak for 5s and air)

I also paid £3200 for my tv, I was happy to pay £2000 fir my avr, I was even happy to pay £900 for one of my kids RC cars. £25 is nothing in grand scheme of things. I spend a lot of money on my hobbies, I own a canon 7D and a lot of glass. This Xmas I am planning to finally get the 5D3 or hold for a 7D2 if an announcement (not rumour) is officially made.

The point? ... I know so many people that laugh/scoff at the things I spend money on, only to then go down the pub and literally piss money away. Or eat take away food every night, or smoke, or gamble, or do things that I wouldn't do with my money. It's all subjective.

I'm not saying, and never said an app should sell for that price, he asked what it s value to ME was, and that's its value to me... I value an xbmc app as much as I value my Navigon app if my satnav app cost £2.99 then I'd value xbmc at £2.99 ... But my app was £25 so Big Grin

Anyway, I still think it's son avenue that should be investigated. I'd also be really interested to know how many iOS users are xbmc users, then how many of those users have currently donated to the foundation... Then how many of them would donate if it was possible via an in app purchase!

I know for a fact, I'd donate regularly, monthly if the option was present. It should be easy to donate, and for me, nothing is easier than just clicking purchase on the device I am writing this from right now :p

So I think we should add features to the remote, and a donation feature and get more money into the foundation Smile don't hate me for that? Big Grin
(2013-12-11, 23:47)PatrickBateman Wrote: I'd also be really interested to know how many iOS users are xbmc users, then how many of those users have currently donated to the foundation... Then how many of them would donate if it was possible via an in app purchase!

Instead of a posting another 10x1000 word comments, spend a couple of hours and ...

Code:
Get a quote from some iOS Dev house like http://fingertiptech.com/site/ (JB shout out!) and specify:
    a) work must be open sourced
    b) quote with and without maintenance contract
    c) price both free distribution and cut-of-sales

Set up a kickstarter project, with the target of the relevant quote plus a bit for overrun and Kickstarter commission.

Do some basic marketing; link to it in this forum, OpenElec forum, Raspbmc forum, iOS forums, streak at a football game with the Kickstarter url painted on your bum, etc.

If the demand is there you will hit your target.

If it isn't, you can still hope that some Dev owns a locked iOS device.
(2013-12-11, 23:47)PatrickBateman Wrote: Pat and Mayo missed the point of that little game Wink

I don't think I did. I couldn't resist the chance to make a smart comment at the expense of the Apple fan club, but my serious point is that I don't think you are alone and people who buy Apple WILL pay more to get what they want.

Certainly more than I or the average Android user would be prepared to payWink
(2013-12-12, 11:34)mayoman Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 23:47)PatrickBateman Wrote: Pat and Mayo missed the point of that little game Wink

I don't think I did. I couldn't resist the chance to make a smart comment at the expense of the Apple fan club, but my serious point is that I don't think you are alone and people who buy Apple WILL pay more to get what they want.

Now that I agree with Smile
It looks like media browser poster earlier is pretty sweet and does offer some incredible features. They don't seem to speak very highly of xbmc users though, calling them penny pitching tight arses :p
(2013-12-12, 22:41)PatrickBateman Wrote:
(2013-12-12, 11:34)mayoman Wrote:

Now that I agree with Smile
It looks like media browser poster earlier is pretty sweet and does offer some incredible features. They don't seem to speak very highly of xbmc users though, calling them penny pitching tight arses :p

OK Patrick - where did you get that idea from the link - your stirring up a Hornet's nest with that comment Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will we ever see xbmc on non jail broken ios devices2