discovered as video audio device
music plays from various apps
video plays from youtube but not camera roll

testbed 2
discovered as audio only device
music plays from various apps
video plays on ios with audio playback on xbmc

testbed 3
undiscoverable or, if discovered, airplay connection fails when trying to initiate stream (similar to behavior as seen in Frodo 12.2).
Windows 7 VM
iPhone 4S with 7.0.4

Testbuild 1:
4. monitor symbol
5. yes
6. only pictures
7. yes

Testbuild 2
4 .monitor
5. yes
6. I can show pictures but not videos
7. Songs don't play, but after I restart XBMC I get the speaker icon and they play, but they stop like buffering.

Testbuild 3
4. monitor
5. yes
6. pictures but not videos
7. no
Also on testbuild 3 I'm not getting everytime xbmc into the Airplay devices.

On the first testbuild I don't have that mirroring option, on the other it is available but useless.

If I'll have time this weekend I'll compile these 3 tests on Slackware and give it another try.
I tried to build these test versions on an ubuntu 13.10 but I couldn't get the library dependancies right. I however managed to arranged a Windows 7 x64 Sp1 machine to install the test builds you provide and tested all of them using iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S, iPad Air and MacBook Pro. Here are the test results:

0. Testbuild 1: version
1. iPhone 5S
2. 7.0.4
3&4: Monitor shows up in iPhone (Audio & Video)
5. Using YouTube App: Both Video and Audio work fine for various formats (SD/HD). The Volume is not to be controlled over the airplay (using the volume buttons).
6. Picture AirPlay works fine.
7. Music AirPlay works fine. The Volume is to be controlled over the airplay.
Additionally:
- Music AirPlay combined with Picture AirPlay (run first Music AirPlay and meanwhile run Picture AirPlay): Works; the music stutters a couple of times in the beginning and then runs fine. Controlling the volume goes fine; if I end the Picture AirPlay, the volume jumps to maximum (loud) and gets back to normal as soon as the volume button is pushed on the iPhone.
- AirPlay Mirroring showed up in iPhone once and when enabled, XBMC crashed.

1. iPhone 4S
2. 7.0.4
5. Using YouTube App: Both Video and Audio work fine for various formats (SD/HD). The Volume is not to be controlled over the airplay.
Additionally:
- Music AirPlay combined with Picture AirPlay (run first Music AirPlay and meanwhile run Picture AirPlay): Works; the music stutters a couple of times in the beginning and then runs fine. Controlling the volume goes fine; if I end the Picture AirPlay, the volume jumps to maximum (loud) and gets back to normal as soon as the volume button is pushed on the iPhone.
- No AirPlay Mirroring showed up in iPhone.

1. iPad Air
2. 7.0.4
3&4&5: Using YouTube App: Only the speaker shows up in iPad, when playing the movie over the AirPlay, only audio is streamed. The volume is to be controlled over the airplay.
6. Picture AirPlay does not work. The picture app sees only the speaker in the AirPlay section.

1. MacBook Pro
2. OSX Mavericks
3&4&5&6: Only speaker shows up in the MacBook. Video and Picture AirePlay are not available.
7: Music AirPlay works fine. The volume is to be controlled using the MacBook Pro.
Additionally:
No AirPlay Mirroring option is available.
-----------------------------------------------
0. Testbuild 2: features
1. iPhone 5S
2. 7.0.4
5. Using YouTube App: Both Video and Audio work fine for various formats (SD/HD). The Volume is not to be controlled over the airplay (using the volume buttons).
Additionally:
- AirPlay Mirroring shows up in iPhone. If Enabled, iPhone hangs for a while and AirPlay Full Target gets disabled. After this only the speaker shows up and only AirPlay Audio is possible. Killing all the iPhone audio/picture/video apps and then restarting XBMC will get the Full Target AirPlay available again in the iPhone.

1. iPhone 4S
2. 7.0.4
Additionally:
- AirPlay Mirroring shows up in iPhone. If Enabled, iPhone hangs for a while then nothing happens. AirPlay Full Target stays enabled. I can switch back to YouTube App and Stream the video/audio using AirPlay right away without restarting XBMC or the apps.

1. iPad Air
2. 7.0.4
3&4&5: Using YouTube App: Only the speaker shows up in iPad, when playing the movie over the AirPlay, only audio is streamed. The volume is to be controlled over the airplay.
6. Picture AirPlay does not work. The picture app sees only the speaker in the AirPlay section.
Aditionally:

1. MacBook Pro
2. OSX Mavericks
3&4&5&6: The monitor shows up in MacBook Pro but only audio is streamed over the AirPlay. Audio Volum is to be controlled using the MacBook Pro. All the apps (like settings app which could airplay the content display) find no AirPlay device to stream the picture/video to.
7: Music AirPlay works fine. The volume is to be controlled using the MacBook Pro.
---------------------------------------------
0. Testbuild 3: name
1. iPhone 5S
2. 7.0.4
5. Using YouTube App: iPhone is not able to stream any audio or video through the AirPlay even if the monitor shows up. After selecting the monitor, the video playback stops. Nothing happens in XBMC.
7. Music AirPlay does not work even if the monitor shows up. After selecting the monitor, the audio playback stops. Nothing happens in XBMC.
Additionally:

1. iPhone 4S
2. 7.0.4
5. Using YouTube App: iPhone is not able to stream any audio or video through the AirPlay even if the monitor shows up. After selecting the monitor, the video playback stops. Nothing happens in XBMC.
6. Picture AirPlay does not work.
7. Music AirPlay does not work even if the monitor shows up. After selecting the monitor, the audio playback stops. Nothing happens in XBMC.
Additionally:

1. iPad Air
2. 7.0.4
5. Using YouTube App: iPad is not able to stream any audio or video through the AirPlay even if the monitor shows up. After selecting the monitor, the video playback stops. Nothing happens in XBMC. After a couple of times tapping on 'Play' button, the AirPlay option (monitor) goes away.
6. Picture AirPlay does not work.
7. Music AirPlay does not work.
Additionally:

1. MacBook Pro
2. OSX Mavericks
3&4&5&6: The monitor shows up in MacBook Pro but only audio is streamed over the AirPlay. Audio Volum is to be controlled using the MacBook Pro. The monitor shows up in MacBook Pro but only audio is streamed over the AirPlay. Audio Volum is to be controlled using the MacBook Pro. The Settings app (which could airplay the content display) find the AirPlay device but upon streaming say: 'Could not connect to "XBMC"'.
I don't know if it could be helpful somehow:

OSX 10.8.4 + XBMC 12.2 plain vanilla + iphone4 + iOS 7.0.4 = everything works

Same setup as above but with iPhone 4S was audio only (until wifi went bananas and iPhone was sent to repair).
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hi Memphiz.
I am new to this xbmc stuff but i tried testbuild 1 - win32 running on Win 8.1 x64
iPad 3, Ios 7.0.4

Monitor symbol
Video on youtube app working (video with every other app i used not working)
Music on standart Ios app working.
Pictures on standart Ios app working.

Keep up the good work Smile
Testbuild 1 Win32
1. iPad4, iPhone4s, iPad2
2. 7.0.4
3. No
4 .Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes

Testbuild 2 Win32
2. 7.0.4
3. No
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes

Testbuild 3 Win32
2. 7.0.4
3. No
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes , but picture displayed on Idevice is not the same one as on XBMC.
7. No
Hi Memphiz,

Here are my test results...

Server: MacOS 10.7.5
Routers: Apple Time Capsule & Airport Extreme, restarted before each change of build
Clients tested: iPad3 & iPhone4S on iOS 7.04, reset before each test (i.e. hold home button + power)

Testbuild 1, iPad:
XBMC shows up as audio only target (speaker symbol)
Audio streaming works

Testbuild 1, iPhone:
XBMC initially showed up as full target (monitor symbol) from the main menu, but had changed to a speaker symbol by the time I started YouTube
Audio streaming works

Testbuild 2, iPad:
XBMC shows up as full target (monitor symbol)
Video streaming works
Audio streaming works
Photo streaming worked briefly, then XBMC changed to a speaker symbol

Testbuild 2, iPhone:
Video streaming works
Audio streaming did not work, stopped player, XBMC changed to a speaker symbol, audio streaming worked.
Restarted XBMC, still showed as speaker symbol

Testbuild 3, iPad:
XBMC does not show up at all

Testbuild 3, iPhone:
Video streaming works
Audio streaming did not work, able to select XBMC server but airplay deselected automatically
Photo streaming sort-of works: pictures appear, but one away from the one displayed on the iPhone

The results seemed a bit random, so happy to repeat the tests if needed. Hope this helps!
Testbuild 2 seemed to be the most consisent for me. Both 1 and 3 had odd behavior

testbuild 1

1. Which iDevice from Apple are you using (iPad2, iPad3, iPhone4s and so on)
ipad2
iphone5

2. Which exact iOS version are you running on that device (e.x. 7.0.4)
ipad2=7.0
iphone5=7.0.3

3. Does XBMC show up as an audio only target in the airplay selection (speaker symbol)
ipad2= intermitently, it's a speaker and sometimes it's the tv. if i restart xbmc or wait a few minutes it will sometimesswitch to tv, restarting xbmc seems to help this. oddly my openelec raspberry pi was showing up the same way so maybe broadcast issue (it's been working)
iphone5=intermitently, it's a speaker and sometimes it's the tv. if i restart xbmc or wait a few minutes it will sometimesswitch to tv, restarting xbmc seems to help this. oddly my openelec raspberry pi was showing up the same way so maybe broadcast issue (it's been working)

4. Or does XBMC show up as full target in the airplay selection (monitor symbol)
ipad2=yes, see #3
iphone5=yes, see #3

5. If the latter - does airplaying videos work? (please use the youtube.app for testing - don't post issues with other video apps for now)
ipad2=yes
ipone5=yes - mostly worked good but had some ad skip hiccups with youtube app and buffered a few times...could have been wifi and app acting up a bit(not first time I've seen the ad skip issue)

6. Does airplaying pictures work? (use the photo app or the camera roll please for this test)
ipad2=yes
iphone5=yes

7. Does airplaying music work? (don't post if the music stutters or what - as long as the music comes out of XBMC - it is considered "working")
ipad2=yes
iphone5=yes

testbuild 2

ipad2=7.0
iphone5=7.0.3

3. Does XBMC show up as an audio only target in the airplay selection (speaker symbol)
ipad2=no
iphone5=no

4. Or does XBMC show up as full target in the airplay selection (monitor symbol)
ipad2=yes
iphone5=yes (only issue was showing up as audio only after watching youtube on ipad, turned off ipad wifi and iphone saw full video target, maybe would've cleared itself after a few minutes)

5. If the latter - does airplaying videos work? (please use the youtube.app for testing - don't post issues with other video apps for now)
ipad2=yes
iphone5=yes

6. Does airplaying pictures work? (use the photo app or the camera roll please for this test)
ipad2=yes
iphone5=yes

7. Does airplaying music work? (don't post if the music stutters or what - as long as the music comes out of XBMC - it is considered "working")
ipad2=yes
iphone5=yes

testbuild 3

ipad2
iphone5

ipad2=7.0
iphone5=7.0.3

ipad2=no
iphone5=no

ipad2=yes, airplay seemed to crash though eventually and had to reboot everything to get it back
iphone5=yes

ipad2=yes
iphone5=yes

ipad2=sort of - would be 1-2 pictures off from what was on the screen. Not all pictures did this but was pretty consistent
iphone5=sort of - would be 1-2 pictures off from what was on the screen. Not all pictures did this but was pretty consistent

ipad2=no
iphone5=no
drpepper99 please don't update your devices for now - you have important versions for this test (most already have 7.0.4).

I plan do make another testbuild based on the collected statistics here in a couple of days (hope i come to it - christmas pressure...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-12-17, 08:44)Memphiz Wrote: drpepper99 please don't update your devices for now - you have important versions for this test (most already have 7.0.4).

I plan do make another testbuild based on the collected statistics here in a couple of days (hope i come to it - christmas pressure...)

No worries, I just subscribed to the thread... Also have a 4s that's at 7.03 that wasn't around when I did this.

*edit*
Btw some of us may be like omgzers my airplay, Wtf!!! But the majority of us I think really appreciate all of the time and effort you developers put into this free software. Thank you!
I have updated the first post with a testbuild4 which combines the testbuild1 and testbuild2 as those seem to have given the best results (still dissappointing though as there doesn't seem to be a clear dependency from the statistics...).

Please test testbuild4 @all.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Still inconsistent between wifi toggles. First time checking is (always?) full target, but random after that.

Testbuild 4:
1. iphone5
2. 7.0.4
3/4. audio-only: 7; full (w/ mirroring toggle): 3
5. yes
6. yes
7. yes
I agree with Edwr. Behaviour of build 4 seems to be same as build 2: Shows up as full target after you start XBMC, but changes back to audio-only after some time.

Switching off/on "Allow XBMC to receive AirPlay content" seems to (temporarily) solve the issue.
(2013-12-19, 11:33)AussieFries Wrote: I agree with Edwr. Behaviour of build 4 seems to be same as build 2: Shows up as full target after you start XBMC, but changes back to audio-only after some time.

Switching off/on "Allow XBMC to receive AirPlay content" seems to (temporarily) solve the issue.

This workaround does indeed do the trick, at least on the official 12.2 builds for Apple TV 2 Smile
First broadcast is correct, re-broadcasting messes things up.
Broadcast - re-broadcast - what are you talking about - seriously?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices7