• 21(current)
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices
(2014-01-28, 02:11)edwr Wrote: Yeah, when I tried again this morning I didn't get nearly as consistent results as I did yesterday. Out of 10 wifi toggles, 7 full, 3 audio-only. Still better than it used to be, though...

So iOS 7 (+Testbuild 9) loses the monitor icon after 12 hrs or so.

I noticed if you restart the Bonjour service and then XBMC, the monitor icon is back.
Information 
My Results on:
Testbuild 9

1. iPhone 5S
2. iOS 7.0.4
3/4. (Icon) Monitor
5. (Youtube) Yes
6. (Pictures) Yes
7. (Music) Yes
Rolleyes
1. iPad 3
2. iOS 7.0.4
3/4. (Icon) Monitor
5. (Youtube) Yes
6. (Pictures) Yes
7. (Music) Yes

This works always full time 99% Monitor!! Confused(why this happens -_-)
Sometimes right after turning iPhone on it may show up as Speaker but it fixes itself in 10s.

EDIT: I will also keep this thin on for longer period now
EDIT: Aaaand... after 50 minutes it shows speaker on iPhone...
EDIT:-_- after turning screen ON/off its a Monitor again...
EDIT: After 20 hours still shows up 100% as Monitor on iPad.
Just skimmed through this thread to try to catch up so forgive me if I missed something. I'm also willing to do testing to try to help with this issue.

At home I have XBMC on Mac OS 10.6.8 (also have a Pi but I know that's no use for this testing) and have access to an iPhone 5S, (7.0.4) iPhone 3GS, (6.1.3) iPad 3, (7.0.4) iPad Mini (7.0.4, until a few days ago it was on 6.x) and an iPad Mini with Retina. (7.0.4)

At work I have XBMC on Windows 7, and have access to an iPad 3, (7.0.4) iPhone 3GS (6.1.3) (same two personal devices as above) and at a pinch I could borrow an iPad 4 (7.0.4) for special testing. There may also be some iPad 4's about that have not yet been updated to 7.0.4. I already have wireshark on my work Windows 7 desktop that has XBMC.

We also use Reflector 1.3.3 at work running on Windows 7 desktops, which has gone through similar "compatibility issues" with iOS 7 over the last month or so which seems to have finally stabilised with Reflector version 1.3.3 and iOS 7.0.4. (No problems with a device reverting to audio only now, although there is still the occasional problem with switching between mirroring and video playback)

Reflector supports video streaming and mirroring, I haven't seen any mention of it in the thread so I thought it might be useful to post the bonjour announcements used by Reflector for comparison ? Here they are:

Code:
_airplay._tcp. (ITSUPPORT)
pw 0
model AppleTV3,1
rmodel PC1,1
deviceid 79:8e:c2:bd:33:0e
features 0x100029FF

_raop._tcp. (798ec2bd330e@ITSUPPORT)
tp UDP
sv false
txtvers 1
cn 0,1,2,3
md 0,1,2
vs 150.33
et 0,3,5
da true
ss 16
pw false
rmodel PC1,1
am AppleTV3,1
sr 44100
ch 2
vn 65537
sf 0x4

I had to type those in manually as there doesn't seem to be a way to copy/paste from Bonjour Browser. (Anyone know of a better bonjour browser app for windows ? It also crashes/freezes constantly)

I also have a license for the Mac version of Reflector at home - although I do not currently use it I could install the latest Mac version if need be.

By the way after fighting with problems with Reflector for a couple of months and trying various version combinations of iOS and reflector I came to the conclusion that most of the iOS 7 airplay issues are actually bugs in iOS 7.0.0 - 7.0.3 where backward compatibility with "old" airplay destination devices simply wasn't properly regression tested by Apple.

It seemed to be the iOS 7.04 update more so than any version updates to Reflector that resolved most of the problems we were having. Some of the problems included mirroring stopping without warning - the iPad would think it was still mirroring but reflector was not displaying a stream from the device - and while mirroring was enabled on the iPad the iPad would run extremely slowly with stuttering screen updates.

Rebooting reflector did not help and a different iOS device could connect to Reflector ok - it was the iPad itself which had to be rebooted to get it out of this slow/stuttering state where mirroring was not working. Surely an iOS bug if its the iPad that had to be rebooted ?

I've also noticed that vanilla XBMC 12.2 which I've been running on my Mac at home since before iOS 7 was released, which did not work for airplay video AT ALL in early versions of iOS 7 (always showed as an audio device) now works most of the time in iOS 7.0.4 with no changes to the XBMC config....
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
At a german board I read from a apple developer, that the problem is maybe at the wifi. At my iphone and ipad it´s the same problem like all the users have. And the best solution to solve this problem is, when I deacitivate and activate my wifi on the phone. Not every time, but better than start/restart the phone and the XBMC on Windows and Raspberry Pi. Maybe the Airplay is only audio when the wifi signal strength is too low or something.
I don't think it is WiFi because my ATV2 has a TV icon 100% of the time. When you toggle WiFi the phone automatically queries for airplay and raop targets. So sometimes it get the TV icon back after that query.
Hey, on my PVR I have installed AirPlayer (AirPlay server plugin for Enigma2) where it seems to me that developer figured what is causing this issue.

Please take a look here: http://www.airplayer.biz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=821

"In iOS7 "older protocol versions" (without FairPlay encryption) sadly are beeing blocked. If the box is detected as audio only device it looks like this (speaker symbol). Sometimes you can get the box detected correctly by turning off and on the wlan of the iOS device. With this update i try to circumvent the block, therefore the name of the box sometimes is extended by WAIT! , please wait a few seconds and the extension should be gone!"

And as far as I can tell (I didn't use it too much), it works fine!

Good luck!
(2014-01-29, 15:37)AussieFries Wrote: I noticed if you restart the Bonjour service and then XBMC, the monitor icon is back.

Without having used a test build I can confirm this behaviour sometimes.
But the following procedure is reproduceable on my system constantly.

1. Boot the XBMC system
2. iPhone detects AirTunes (raop) only, although XBMC publishes both, Airplay and AirTunes over avahi/bonjour
3. Restart the XBMC application
4. iPhone detects both, Airplay and AirTunes over avahi/bonjour

If you have a look at the service data published by avahi there is a difference before and after restarting XBMC:

Before restarting XBMC:
Code:
TXT Data:
features = 0x77
deviceid = FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:F2
model = Xbmc,1
srcvers = 101.28

After restarting XBMC:
Code:
TXT Data:
features = 0x77
deviceid = REAL MAC ADDRESS
model = Xbmc,1
srcvers = 101.28

So maybe the problem is related to a component failing to get and/or write the interface mac address into the Airplay service file which seems to be necessary to detect the service correctly?

Specs:
- Linux xbmc 3.12.9-gentoo #7 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 30 03:58:42 CET 2014 i686 Intel® Atom™ CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
- net-dns/avahi-0.6.31-r2
- XBMC 13.0-ALPHA12 Git:65ad3ae9092c84fc608dd9905a4e222138b4b943
- Platform: x86 Linux 32-bit
This might be the problem in your case - but in my case it always shows the right mac adr on first startup (though you might have discovered a bug here - maybe linux related or maybe generic- no clue).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Just found this thread.

First, AWESOME NEWS that you are working this issue. I konw its been a thorn in many peoples sides, espically you Wink
I'd personally LOVE to dump my ATV2s for something better/faster to run XBMC, so i'm glad this thread exists and you are getting lots of testers/feedback.

I only skimmed a few of the pages, and I'd still like to help, so what is the latest for testing? I see a lot of testbuilds, are you currently looking for feedback for testbuild #9 only?

And it looks like a lot of people are posting additional data/logs/etc, should i be investgating with additional tools, etc?

Thanks, and hope this helps make XBMC even better!
@Memphiz
Ok, then I just keep that in mind for now.

Currently I'm testing alternative service announcement configurations.
On an OS X system I use AirServer.app which works without any problems together with iOS7.XX. I just copied its announcement data and reused it for XBMC's Airtunes/Play service. As a result my iOS7 device lists both, the "custom" service announcement and XBMC's builtin service announcement. The difference is that the "custom" service announcement seems to identify XBMC as an Airplay device correctly and constantly. I have this running since a couple of hours and until now it seems not to fall back into an AirTunes only state. I'll observe that during the next days and will report back if it runs in a constantly stable condition.

cat /etc/avahi/services/airtunes.service
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
    <name replace-wildcards="yes">MACADDRESSWITHOUTSEPARATORS@%h</name>
    <service>
        <type>_raop._tcp</type>
        <port>36666</port>
        <txt-record>ss=16</txt-record>
        <txt-record>rhd=5.0.3</txt-record>
        <txt-record>sr=44100</txt-record>
        <txt-record>ch=2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>sv=false</txt-record>
        <txt-record>vs=150.33</txt-record>
        <txt-record>md=0,1,2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>vn=65537</txt-record>
        <txt-record>txtvers=1</txt-record>
        <txt-record>am=AppleTV3,2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>pw=false</txt-record>
        <txt-record>vv=1</txt-record>
        <txt-record>tp=UDP</txt-record>
        <txt-record>sf=0x4</txt-record>
        <txt-record>da=true</txt-record>
        <txt-record>cn=1,2,3</txt-record>
        <txt-record>et=0,3,5</txt-record>
    </service>
</service-group>

cat /etc/avahi/services/airplay.service:
Code:
<service-group>
    <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
    <service>
        <type>_airplay._tcp</type>
        <port>36667</port>
        <txt-record>model=AppleTV3,2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>features=0x100029ff</txt-record>
        <txt-record>deviceid=MACADDRESS</txt-record>
        <txt-record>srcvers=150.33</txt-record>
    </service>
</service-group>
Hi Memphiz,

Just wondering if the libshairplay author responded to your communications, and/or if there have been any insights from that ( / given your iOS7 testbed)?
(2014-02-03, 18:05)einhänder Wrote: @Memphiz
Ok, then I just keep that in mind for now.

Currently I'm testing alternative service announcement configurations.
On an OS X system I use AirServer.app which works without any problems together with iOS7.XX. I just copied its announcement data and reused it for XBMC's Airtunes/Play service. As a result my iOS7 device lists both, the "custom" service announcement and XBMC's builtin service announcement. The difference is that the "custom" service announcement seems to identify XBMC as an Airplay device correctly and constantly. I have this running since a couple of hours and until now it seems not to fall back into an AirTunes only state. I'll observe that during the next days and will report back if it runs in a constantly stable condition.

cat /etc/avahi/services/airtunes.service
Code:
<service-group>
    <name replace-wildcards="yes">MACADDRESSWITHOUTSEPARATORS@%h</name>
    <service>
        <type>_raop._tcp</type>
        <port>36666</port>
        <txt-record>ss=16</txt-record>
        <txt-record>sr=44100</txt-record>
        <txt-record>ch=2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>sv=false</txt-record>
        <txt-record>vs=150.33</txt-record>
        <txt-record>md=0,1,2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>vn=65537</txt-record>
        <txt-record>txtvers=1</txt-record>
        <txt-record>am=AppleTV3,2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>pw=false</txt-record>
        <txt-record>tp=UDP</txt-record>
        <txt-record>sf=0x4</txt-record>
        <txt-record>da=true</txt-record>
        <txt-record>cn=1,2,3</txt-record>
        <txt-record>et=0,3,5</txt-record>
    </service>
</service-group>

cat /etc/avahi/services/airplay.service:
Code:
<service-group>
    <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
    <service>
        <type>_airplay._tcp</type>
        <port>36667</port>
        <txt-record>model=AppleTV3,2</txt-record>
        <txt-record>features=0x100029ff</txt-record>
        <txt-record>deviceid=MACADDRESS</txt-record>
        <txt-record>srcvers=150.33</txt-record>
    </service>
</service-group>

Try to stream to it ... it won't work because airserver announces fairplay support which we don't have (it is simply not possible to implement it for us as this encryption is not hacked in the public yet). Also you can add your custom announcement via testbuild 9 and the airplay.xml as mentioned in the first post - but this will not change the fact that announcing fairplay support will not work for us until someone posts some code on how to decode that crap.

@edrikk

only what i have posted here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1598504
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hm, maybe I'm missing something but I streamed video (youtube app) and audio (bandcamp app) to XBMC multiple times successfully this afternoon. I didn't test pictures though.
Man I hope that you geniuses will figure out how to make Airplay work again soon! Really miss this feature.
Thanks for putting time and effort in to this guys.
(2014-02-03, 15:44)einhänder Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 15:37)AussieFries Wrote: I noticed if you restart the Bonjour service and then XBMC, the monitor icon is back.

Without having used a test build I can confirm this behaviour sometimes.

It works even better if you stop and restart the Windows Network Connections service instead.
I'm now using a batch file that restarts 'Netman' and then starts XBMC everytime my HTPC wakes from sleep. (XBMCLauncher closes XBMC first everytime my pc goes into sleep mode.)

@Memphiz: It seems that making changes to Airplay.xml doesn't have any effect in Testbuild 9? Below settings have same effect as no Airplay.xml present on my system.

<features>0x5A7FFFF7,0xE</features>
<srcvers>190.09</srcvers>
<model>AppleTV3,2</model>

Just like Einhänder I'm able to stream audio from the iPhone Music app and Spotify app without problems with following setting: <entry key="et" value="0,3,5" />
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices7