• 36(current)
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices
Its being sent from the youtube app on ios. I know it worked with the previous xbmc versions so I am not sure what changed. i have tried reinstalling it a cpl of times but doesnt matter it seems.
It's not XBMC that has changed - the latest update of the youtube app on iOS no longer seems to be able to airplay to XBMC. It doesn't even attempt to work and the previous trick of deleting and reinstalling youtube no longer helps.

I'm seeing this on all platforms - Raspberry Pi, Mac and Windows, on the exact same versions of XBMC where it was previously working.

All the other iOS video apps I've tested can Airplay to XBMC just fine so it appears google have broken it! Nice one google....
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-05-18, 17:15)DBMandrake Wrote: It's not XBMC that has changed - the latest update of the youtube app on iOS no longer seems to be able to airplay to XBMC. It doesn't even attempt to work and the previous trick of deleting and reinstalling youtube no longer helps.

If you check out my last post to reinstall the app trick, I mentioned the ver. of the youtube app 2.6.0.11251 Its same ver. on my app today !!!! I believe there was no changes have been made since, and I did the trick of re-installing and it worked on XBMC 13.0 perfect. but after a fresh install of XBMC 13.1 Beta 1 the Airplay completely broken I can't even even get to trigger the ( loading circle ) On xbmc, but xbmc screen wakes up after I send a request from iPad and stays still on the Home screen.

I noticed two things might help ... !!!

* there was an update by apple for iTune before Xbmc 13.1 beta 1 had released, I don't know whether done update to some services !!!!
* especially on weekends YouTube app acting banana I got a lot's of (" error tap again ") a message on the video when it plays via Xbmc airplay and slow streaming, but other days works fine.

here is the test update:

xbmc 13.0 stable & xbmc 13.1 Beta 1 ( no longer works on both )
win 7 pro
ipad 4 iOS 7.1.1
youtube app 2.6.0.11251

video - doesn't work ( only Xbmc screen wakes up )
music - haven't tested it yet
images - haven't tested it yet

I will try to test out on Monday the whole thing again on both versions of Xbmc, and keep you updated.

Cheers
airplay from newest youtube app confirmed broken. Google sends urls which can't be read on xbmc because they are mlhls://localhost/master.m3u8 ... we don't know from where to fetch this master.m3u8 - at the best there is some hidden service on the iphone now which we need to connect to fetch the master.m3u8 file - at worst its a service on the appletv2 which handles this via a service.

We have no chance to get it right because on the working case (appletv2 with youtube app) everything is encrypted and we are not able to reverse engineer that one ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Perhaps googles attempt to enforce encryption when airplay streaming from the youtube app ? Sad

I noticed when testing an HDMI to VGA adaptor (which doesn't support HDCP) on an Apple TV3 about a week ago no videos from the youtube app would play in full screen (streaming not mirroring) mode due to an HDCP not supported error - even non copyrighted videos I had uploaded!

Or another thought - perhaps it now asks the built in youtube app in an Apple TV to play the video directly ? Which of course doesn't exist in XBMC...
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
yeah whatever Wink guessing will not solve it sadly ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Not sure if you guys are using the official youtube app for a particular reason but if not, use McTube. This is an alternative to the official youtube app and it airplays perfectly. I like this app better too because you can airplay while multitasking.

It's also nice because for me I like to listen to radio while my ipad is in sleep mode, this app will do this as well.
What about from other video apps, like Netflix? I'm on latest OS7 on iPad and 13.0 gotham xbmc on windows 7, and can't get videos to stream from Netflix.
(2014-05-18, 20:22)jnickell100 Wrote: Not sure if you guys are using the official youtube app for a particular reason but if not, use McTube. This is an alternative to the official youtube app and it airplays perfectly. I like this app better too because you can airplay while multitasking.

It's also nice because for me I like to listen to radio while my ipad is in sleep mode, this app will do this as well.
I confirm it works for me too. Thank you! I have working airplay again!!!!!
It works with Vevo too!
(2014-05-18, 18:42)testooo Wrote: * there was an update by apple for iTune before Xbmc 13.1 beta 1 had released, I don't know whether done update to some services !!!!
The Bonjour version that comes with iTunes hasn't been updated for ages. Current Bonjour version 3.0.0.10 is at least two years old AFAIK.

With all due respect, it's not clear to me why so many people try to airplay Youtube videos to XBMC.
XBMC Commander and xbmcRemote are able to play Youtube vids directly on XBMC. That means no lag, no battery drain and you don't have to worry about
being out of wifi range and breaking the video stream. Both apps can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
AussieFries - you didn't get the airplay principle. Airplaying movies anything other then self recorded ones will not drain battery. You can airplay youtube video and standby your phone and it will continue playing in xbmc - as it only transfers the video url on youtube. So no battery drain or what not.

Only videos which are stored on the phone/ipad itself will be streamed directly. (and might drain battery then).

@Icarus3000 netflix is a special one which will not work with XBMC as they do something special/encrypted to enforce the DRM laws.
Thanks for the explanation. As my battery percentage is going down quickly as soon as I airplay from the Spotify app, I assumed the same would happen with Youtube.

I still think that playing Youtube vids on XBMC controlled by a remote app gives a much smoother user experience. And that way I don't need the Youtube app on my device anymore.
(2014-05-19, 08:31)Sei4eto Wrote:
(2014-05-18, 20:22)jnickell100 Wrote: Not sure if you guys are using the official youtube app for a particular reason but if not, use McTube. This is an alternative to the official youtube app and it airplays perfectly. I like this app better too because you can airplay while multitasking.

I confirm it works for me too. Thank you! I have working airplay again!!!!!
It works with Vevo too!

It works for me as well. The only drawback is the fact I cannot use my Chromecast with it, but I guess I'll just keep the official app around for those rare cases.

A small summary of my experiences with AirPlay in Gotham from my iPhone 5 on 7.0.6:
- YouTube / Netflix don't work at all. Seems to be encrypted, as posted above.
- Photos work, but only manually, i.e. slideshow doesn't.
- Audio works, both from the Music app and the Podcasts app. Song info is parsed correctly too.
- Videos that are on the iPhone or streaming from the cloud (cloud purchases) only play audio in XBMC. The video keeps playing on the iPhone.
- I haven't observed any difference either with or without volume control.
- I don't use a password.
Slideshow is not implemented and won't be.
Streaming from iCloud is not tested by me because i don't use iCloud and i won't.
Streaming from the camera roll with self recorded videos works for me. If you mean by "videos that are on the iPhone" then maybe you mean purchased iTunes movies? In that case its DRM which prevents it from playing (same encryption problem with netflix).
Youtube doesn't work for you because of the mentioned change above (which also was reported to not hit every user - but only a couple).
(2014-05-19, 12:07)AussieFries Wrote: Thanks for the explanation. As my battery percentage is going down quickly as soon as I airplay from the Spotify app, I assumed the same would happen with Youtube.

I still think that playing Youtube vids on XBMC controlled by a remote app gives a much smoother user experience. And that way I don't need the Youtube app on my device anymore.

first commander free (with ad) second is not compatible with Gotham fully yet third its easy for example I use iPad and youtube acc saved so with one or two touches I browse the video and airplay it without needing to type a single letter. unless I need to search something still iPad is the easiest.

Wink
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices7