• 17(current)
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices
Not sure if it will help,

but on the iPad 3 iOS 7.04

if I turn to airplane mode until the airplay icon disappears then turn wifi back on it usually shows the airplay correctly as video not sound icon then works ok. So maybe needs some refresh or a wait period to initialize.
(2014-01-21, 00:17)satdx Wrote: Not sure if it will help,

if I turn to airplane mode until the airplay icon disappears then turn wifi back on it usually shows the airplay correctly as video not sound icon then works ok. So maybe needs some refresh or a wait period to initialize.

I just tried that and no matter how many times I toggle Airplane mode on and off, and no matter how long I leave it on, I never get a Video target until I go into XBMC settings and toggle AirPlay off and on. This method gets a Video target 100% of the time and seems to persist until I restart XBMC.
(2014-01-21, 17:12)ermax Wrote:

I just tried that and no matter how many times I toggle Airplane mode on and off, and no matter how long I leave it on, I never get a Video target until I go into XBMC settings and toggle AirPlay off and on. This method gets a Video target 100% of the time and seems to persist until I restart XBMC.

Do you actually use airplay once you got the full target displayed? Some users reported that it reverts back to audio only after airplaying a couple of videos...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thumbs Up 
On my iPad 3 iOS 7.04, your tip solved the problem.

Thank you very much for your tip.

(2014-01-21, 17:17)Memphiz Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 17:12)ermax Wrote:

Do you actually use airplay once you got the full target displayed? Some users reported that it reverts back to audio only after airplaying a couple of videos...

I have played lots of videos in several apps and it works perfect. But it seems like it goes back to audio only if I let it idle for several hours.
Hi,

I tested windows build8

unfortunately no dice

Iphone 5 7.0.4
Audio only target NO
Video Target YES
MUSIC PLAYBACK YES
VIDEO PLAYBACK FAIL Operation could not be completed with error (error -6727)
PICTURES YES

Hope this helps.

As a side note, I also notice that PLEX does not work (completely does not even show XBMC hosts as an option for airplay targets)

Good luck with the testing/fixing...... I feel many people want you to succeed!
I can also confirm that the following workflow brings the monitor temporarily back, in Frodo 12.3 and using iPhone 5s @ 7.0.4:

After you get the speaker in iOS, turn airplay off in XBMC settings and wait till the box disappears in the iOS. Turn back the airplay in in XBMC settings. The monitor shows back and streaming of the video works fine now; at least for a while. I have no idea for hoe long. Perhaps till the airplay connection get idle or is not used for a while.

It seems that the iOS device gets the monitor if the airplay device announces itself 'after' the iOS device is looking for it.
I did a little more testing and I can now reproduce that the monitor changes back to the speaker: Frodo 12.3, iPhone 5S 7.0.4.

After you get the speaker in iOS, turn airplay off in XBMC settings and wait till the speaker disappears in the iOS. Turn back the airplay on in XBMC settings. The monitor shows and streaming of the video works fine now. Turn off the wifi on the iOS device and wait till the monitor disappears. Turn wifi back on. The speaker appears.

This happens EVERY TIME.

It seems again that the iOS device gets the monitor if the AirPlay service on xbmc announces itself 'after' the iOS device is looking for it. (Is there a broadcast or something?) if the iOS device goes looking for the airplay service of the xbmc, I get the speaker.

Many people have posted test results in this thread. I wondered earlier why some test results look different by different people when using exact same config/device. This workflow may explain that.
I have done the same, turning on/off WIFI and then looking at what symbol I get.

The thing is that you can get random symbols (speaker or monitor) and the packet sent to the device is almost identical when looking at it in wireshark. That's where I stopped testing. I can't understand how the same packet gets different symbols on the iDevice.

I would also like to add that I got people I know who uses iOS7 with AppleTV3(latest version) and they are experiencing problems as well, mostly that the airplay icon is randomly showing/not showing. I am not sure what to believe.......
(2014-01-22, 13:01)pette Wrote: I have done the same, turning on/off WIFI and then looking at what symbol I get.

The thing is that you can get random symbols (speaker or monitor)

Yes but when you THEN toggle AirPlay off/on in XBMC, you will get the Airplay video icon.

So what about a testbuild that DOES START Airplay on XBMC launch, but then auto toggles Airplay off/on 10 sec later?
Just did some more testing. This seems to work 100% of the time.

If you want to get a speaker icon, do this:

1. Run XBMC
2. Turn on iDevice and then turn WiFi off until you see the AirPlay targets go away.
3. Turn WiFi back on.
4. Wait 5secs then check the AirPlay list.

If you want to get a TV icon, do this:

1. Turn on iDevice and insure you have a WiFi connection. Don't let the device fall asleep.
2. Run XBMC
3. Wait 5secs then check the AirPlay list.

You don't have to stop/start or toggle AirPlay off/on. You simply have to have your iDevice on an active WiFi connection and not sleeping while launching XBMC. Basically, if your device is active while launching XBMC or toggling AirPlay off/on, you will get a TV icon. This icon will persist as long as your iDevice doesn't sleep long enough for it to drop the WiFi connection.

I am going to do some sniffing with Wireshark because there has to be something different in the traffic with these two procedures.
(2014-01-21, 17:17)Memphiz Wrote: Do you actually use airplay once you got the full target displayed? Some users reported that it reverts back to audio only after airplaying a couple of videos...

For me Monitor shows for 15 mins usually, If the video connection is made and it's playing it won't just randomly crash, but if I press "Done" closing the video I can't open another one before the Monitor comes back. (Somehow)

Interesting is that one may perceive XBMC as a Monitor while others as Speaker.
This is interesting. In XBMC I changed my device name from "Noel's Desk (XBMC)" to "Noel XBMC" and then manually sent an advertisement like this:
Code:
dns-sd -R "Noel's Desk (XBMC)" _airplay local 36667 "deviceid=FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF" "features=0x77" "model=Xbmc,1" "srcvers=101.28"

Note: I masked my MAC. If anyone wants to try this they will need to change the name and MAC. The key is to use a name that is different from the name you have set in XBMC. I also tried disabling AirPlay in XBMC and then just advertize on my own but XBMC crashes as soon as you try to stream to it. So you have to keep AirPlay enabled in XBMC so it sends it's own advertisement for "Noel XBMC" and then I send my own advertisement which then overwrites XBMC's advertisement. On my phone I no longer see "Noel XBMC", all I see is "Noel's Desk (XBMC)". This gives me a persistent TV icon and I can turn off/on WiFi and the TV icon persists. I don't understand why this works and XBMC's identical advertisement doesn't.
Errr... This is a mess. The method in my last post works fine for Video but crashes XBMC if you stream Audio. If I change my ad to match the name that XBMC is using ("Noel XBMC" in my case), it will give me a TV icon and audio and video both work. But it will not survive when I toggle WiFi off/on. The only way to get it to survive the WiFi toggling is if I use a different name in my ad but then audio doesn't work.

Sorry to rapid fire posts but I think I found a work around.

In XBMC I have my device name set to "Noel XBMC". Before launching XBMC I send this ad:
Code:
dns-sd -R "-Noel XBMC" _airplay local 36667 "deviceid=FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF" "features=0x77" "model=Xbmc,1" "srcvers=101.28"

After sending that ad I then launch XBMC and it sends it's own ad with the name "Noel XBMC" which seems to overwrite my ad. Now I see a TV icon with the name "Noel XBMC" and I do not see a target called "-Noel XBMC". Now video and audio work and it survives toggling WiFi. I don't understand why this works and it is hacky, but you could easily script this where it starts dns-sd, launches XBMC and then when you close XBMC it kills dns-sd. If you don't kill dns-sd you will still see an AirPlay target even when you close XBMC.

I made a VBScript that will work on Windows. You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj7tq5tu3mppbh...irPlay.vbs
Be sure to open the script and fill in your Device name and MAC address.

BTW, this is all working on the Jan19 build here:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/...master.exe
You completly ignore the roap annoncement for airtunes(audio) do you? Or did you just skip that in your post? Airplay consists of 2 announcements (i though wonder why it crashes xbmc because of that ... - all for all because if airplay is turned off in xbmc those ports are supposted to be closed - anyone connecting to it would get a connection refused and thats it - i really wonder how this makes xbmc crash).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices7