• 31(current)
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices
Something seems to have changed in the last week with the iOS Youtube app to break airplay audio playback to XBMC - I'm not sure whether to start a new thread or continue here as the youtube app is probably one that a lot of people will use to test airplay and if it doesn't work they might assume its a general airplay problem.

I'm testing with XBMC master but I've gone back as far as airplay test build 10 and the problem persists, so its not something that an XBMC change has introduced, nor have I updated iOS version so I can only assume an update to the Youtube app caused it, however it could be that the audio format the app now tries to send is not being handled properly by XBMC.

Unfortunately I don't have an Apple TV to see whether audio over airplay is completely broken in the current Youtube app (seems unlikely) or whether it has just introduced a compatibility problem with XBMC. As far as I can tell, all youtube videos are affected through the iOS app.

Here is a screen shot of codec info showing no information whatsoever about audio:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7826...0audio.png

Here is a debug log including some extra verbose options turned on for things that seemed relevant:

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=176626

I've tried a few other apps on the iPad that send locally stored video and they still seem to stream audio and video ok - including Instacast and the camera roll app.

An interesting thing is that I'm sure the youtube app used to send a reference to a stream directly from google - as once the airplay stream was started you could force quit the youtube app and shut down the iPad and it would continue to play. It now seems to be trying to stream the video FROM the iPad itself...
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
which ios is affected here ... ios7 only again? Need more info - which youtube video is causing the problem. I tried with latest nightly (gotham branch) with updated youtube app on iphone4s (ios6.0.1) and was able to stream normally (also the stream was pulled from googlevideo.com not from the iphone).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-04-17, 16:51)Memphiz Wrote: which ios is affected here ... ios7 only again?
Ah, good question.

I forgot to say that was iOS 7.1 on an iPad 3. But now you ask I decided to try all the other iOS devices in the house and can't reproduce it on any of the others. Sad

iPhone 3GS on 6.1.6, iPad Mini on 7.1 and iPad Mini with Retina on 7.1 all ok. Rebooted the iPad 3, still not working, deleted and re-installed the Youtube app and it's now working! So something must have got corrupted in the preferences of the app.

Sorry for the false alarm. Confused
wtf that something like this is even possible. Thx for clarifying the "solution" ... Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-04-07, 12:42)dantaylorseo Wrote: Hi there,

AirPlay working in B3 on Windows 7 in all but one app I have tested.

The app is PremierLeaguePass and the extract from the log file is at http://pastebin.com/y7gxSCfj it seems like it can't download a key file?

Dan

I'm having the same problem with NBA Game Time International app. When I airplay the live stream It stops after 5 minutes. Neulion develops both these apps. Hopefully the xbmc developers can figure out the problem since neulion develops alot of sports live stream apps.
Hi,, on XBMC Beta 3 Airplay work with my iPhone 5s. Now after upgrade to Beta 4 Picture Playback is OK, but video Playback does not work.
Here the Log.

Code:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=181478

after reboot iphone now it works ...
TVHeadend 4.2 (libreelec) on Intel DH77EB, Intel G1610 CPU, 4GB RAM ,Corsair 4GB, 4 DVB-C Tuner L4M-Flex + Twin CT. Qnap TVS-873 per NFS als Aufnahmefreigabe. HDMI HTPC -> Denon AVR-4300H -> LG 65B6D
Client: Kodi Leia on Shield 16GB Client: RP2 Libreelec Kodi Leia
So this is really for YouTube all only, I'm running test build 10 everything works but when I use the app no videos have sound.

1. Which iDevice from Apple are you using (iPad2, iPad3, iPhone4s and so on)
iPhone 5s

2. Which exact iOS version are you running on that device (e.x. 7.0.4)
iOS 7.1

3. Does XBMC show up as an audio only target in the airplay selection (speaker symbol)
No

4. Or does XBMC show up as full target in the airplay selection (monitor symbol)
Yes

5. If the latter - does airplaying videos work? (please use the youtube.app for testing - don't post issues with other video apps for now)
Yes but no sound from YouTube app, works if I use HTML5 player through chrome or pass through using Facebook app. In the info panel in XBMC in the upper right while playing through YouTube app I get x'd out speaker.

6. Does airplaying pictures work? (use the photo app or the camera roll please for this test)
Yes videos work, some imported videos display flipped (not sure why could be export app)

7. Does airplaying music work? (don't post if the music stutters or what - as long as the music comes out of XBMC - it is considered "working")
Yes, spotify works
(2014-04-20, 22:36)cladmonitor Wrote: So this is really for YouTube all only, I'm running test build 10 everything works but when I use the app no videos have sound.

5. If the latter - does airplaying videos work? (please use the youtube.app for testing - don't post issues with other video apps for now)
Yes but no sound from YouTube app, works if I use HTML5 player through chrome or pass through using Facebook app. In the info panel in XBMC in the upper right while playing through YouTube app I get x'd out speaker.
See my post #453 just a few posts above yours:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1684587

Its a bug in the youtube app. Deleting the youtube app and reinstalling it from the App Store fixed the issue of no sound over air play for me.

Also test build 10 has been obsolete for some time now - beta 3 and the just released beta 4 include the fix that was tested in test build 10.
(2014-04-20, 22:54)DBMandrake Wrote:
(2014-04-20, 22:36)cladmonitor Wrote: So this is really for YouTube all only, I'm running test build 10 everything works but when I use the app no videos have sound.

See my post #453 just a few posts above yours:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1684587

Its a bug in the youtube app. Deleting the youtube app and reinstalling it from the App Store fixed the issue of no sound over air play for me.

Also test build 10 has been obsolete for some time now - beta 3 and the just released beta 4 include the fix that was tested in test build 10.

Not to be rude but instead of reading through 31 pages, maybe OP should adjust first post to include this about 10 being obsolete. I'll need to look at this further when I'm home but I can sware beta 4 was working just like Frodo, I was only getting the speaker icon and when trying to send anything I saw the old issues again.

Thanks for the reply though.
(2014-04-18, 15:21)bigbobyo Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 12:42)dantaylorseo Wrote: Hi there,

AirPlay working in B3 on Windows 7 in all but one app I have tested.

The app is PremierLeaguePass and the extract from the log file is at http://pastebin.com/y7gxSCfj it seems like it can't download a key file?

Dan

I'm having the same problem with NBA Game Time International app. When I airplay the live stream It stops after 5 minutes. Neulion develops both these apps. Hopefully the xbmc developers can figure out the problem since neulion develops alot of sports live stream apps.

Can't comment on NBA Game Time but Premier League Pass was working in around test build 7 - now I don't know whether the app changed the way it requests encryption keys or XBMC changed but would be great to get it working again.

If a developer needs a premier league account to test with happy for them to PM me.
(2014-04-21, 03:17)cladmonitor Wrote: Not to be rude but instead of reading through 31 pages, maybe OP should adjust first post to include this about 10 being obsolete.
Fair point, although as a general rule I would never reply to the first post on a 31 page thread without first skimming the last couple of pages...
Quote: I'll need to look at this further when I'm home but I can sware beta 4 was working just like Frodo, I was only getting the speaker icon and when trying to send anything I saw the old issues again.
Beta 4 is working fine for me and almost everyone else - there is no difference in Airplay between test build 10 and Beta 4.

Be aware that the way the fix works (it's more of a workaround than a fix) is that it rebroadcasts its ability to play video every 10 seconds - so you might see it as an audio device for the first few seconds after your iOS device wakes or connects to the Wifi, however if you go ahead and select it anyway it will change to a video icon, provided the device has been on the wifi network for at least 10 seconds. (If not just tap away from the Airplay dialogue and go back into it)
I got a iPad 3 iOS 7.1
On my OpenElec HTPC (intel NUC unit) with the latest stable, it only show up as an audio unit.

Tried the latest beta4 on my iMac 2013, here it shows up as a full device. Streaming audio works fine, same with pictures from Pictures app, had to reinstall YouTube to get audio.

Will there ever be full support for screen sharing with XBMC?
(2014-04-21, 15:31)svar Wrote: I got a iPad 3 iOS 7.1
On my OpenElec HTPC (intel NUC unit) with the latest stable, it only show up as an audio unit.
The stable release of OpenElec is REALLY old (close to 6 months) so will not have this fix in it. Try the latest beta version of OpenElec and it should work fine.
Quote:Tried the latest beta4 on my iMac 2013, here it shows up as a full device. Streaming audio works fine, same with pictures from Pictures app, had to reinstall YouTube to get audio.
Interesting that so many people are seeing the same youtube issue I was - I can only assume a buggy update was released and quickly pulled off the app store so that only those people whose iOS devices updated the app at the time the buggy release was on offer were affected. Only one of our devices was affected. (The one I use of course....grr)
Quote:Will there ever be full support for screen sharing with XBMC?
Not unless Apple publicly releases and documents the Airplay protocol - otherwise it would require someone to publicly reverse engineer (crack) the FairPlay encryption... So at the moment a snowballs chance in....
(2014-04-21, 15:54)DBMandrake Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 15:31)svar Wrote: Will there ever be full support for screen sharing with XBMC?
Not unless Apple publicly releases and documents the Airplay protocol - otherwise it would require someone to publicly reverse engineer (crack) the FairPlay encryption... So at the moment a snowballs chance in....

I see. I would like to have it, maybe if there was possible to jailbreak AppleTV3, then I could have it all, hehe Big Grin
win 7 pro
ipad 4
Os 7.1

allow airplay volume control option - doesn't work no effect if enabled

anyone or only me?

cheers
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices7