• 40(current)
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices
(2014-06-14, 16:06)snelvuur Wrote: Trying to use a search suffix domain as .local too now, but it still a dirty way to do it. I do have zeroconf turned on but i just cant ping those names.

Yes. Very bizarre. It's got to a router configuration or general networking issue. Both pc's on my network are doing the same thing. My router has ddwrt installed on it which might be buggy but it has always worked before with xbmc airplay.
I have my own dhcp server with some search suffixes in it, i can choose whatever i want but i have never had any issues with tools not finding it. For the record, the old xbmc version always worked. Even with video.. so the question is, what has changed , or rather what do we need to change / check to get it properly fixed for the future/other people too.
don't mixup dns with mdns - both are different and may influence each other. Fact is - in a mdns aware network environment .local domains are resolved via mdns and not via dns requests...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Memphiz, looking up on mdns it is totally different then the normal dns (as you mentioned). I presume what mrfatboy did was give them the same names but then via dns.

Googling a bit, i would now place this into the Avahi software thats running on the openelec distribution. I found http://www.tildesoft.com/#BonjourBrowser for my mac which tells me on all my xbmc installations that it cannot lookup the local hostname. Sadly also for my macbook which works just fine. I'am new at debugging this particular part but i am getting closer. If you have any other tips then they would be welcome Smile
I have no idea why Bonjour is not working for my iphones. I have uninstalled itunes and bonjour and reinstalled them. Still can't ping iphone using it's bonjour name (unless I add the DNS 'local' suffix as I mentioned above). Google has been no help.

I even download the Bonjour browser for windows. Everything shows up except the iphones. My pc's show up and can be pinged using the bonjour name (with the .local suffix)

Obviously, this has nothing to do with XBMC since I can't ping the iphone normally.

I have to lean toward a router configuration issue as the problem. If anybody has any ideas on how to troubleshoot this it would be greatly appreciated. Knowing how to fix this will keep people from blaming XBMC in the future. Smile
here is the test update:

xbmc 13.1
win 7 pro
ipad 4 iOS 7.1.1
youtube app 2.7.0 ( Updated today 14/6/2014)

video - doesn't work ( Nothing )
music - works
images - works

I believe youtube app still sending the new URL from the updated once
Yes youtube is broken - i don't expect it to ever work again. I tried the youtube.app against an atv2 running ios 4.3 (which is where we copied the airplay stuff from basically). Its not working there too (Error playing the stream or something) - as expected.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-06-16, 04:40)testooo Wrote: here is the test update:

xbmc 13.1
win 7 pro
ipad 4 iOS 7.1.1
youtube app 2.7.0 ( Updated today 14/6/2014)

video - doesn't work ( Nothing )
music - works
images - works

I believe youtube app still sending the new URL from the updated once

Same results here. However there is a difference between my iPhone and iPad...?
Will post a log tomorrow.

XBMC 13.1 (Openelec 4.0.5)
Asus Chromebox

iPad 3 with iOS 7.1.1
Video - not working (XBMC is recognized as an audio device (speaker icon))
Music - working
Images - not tested

iPhone 5s with iOS 7.1.1
Video - sometimes working (XBMC is recognized as a video device (screen icon)). Apparantly works the first time after restarting both the Chromebox and the iPhone, doesn't work the second time. It tries to push the video to XBMC but it fails and continues playing on the iPhone.
Music - working
Images - not tested

For reference, with the same iPad and iPhone in combination with a Raspberry Pi it did work (raspberry running RaspBMC with the latest few version (XBMC 13 and XBMC 13.1 both the same)).

Besides a log, what other info do i need to provide to help?

Edit: here is my log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=230803
I dont see anything weird, but I also don't know where to look...
Does this information help?
@smobbo: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1732942 (post 570) and see if you get the same error message about the lookup. If you do then your in the same boat. Its a issue with the bonjour we presume that is related to the o.s. of the box somehow. (i have not dug up a sollution for this, nor do others) but at least getting some info is good.
I tried the Revision 3 app on iOS 7.1.1 ipad and was able to successfully use Airplay every time to Openelec 4.0.5 (XBMC 13.1) Not sure why that works when nothing else does for me. I've tried Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, direct videos stored on the iPad etc. But like I said for whatever reason Revision3's app works for Airplay video streaming.
Netflix and Youtube will definitely not work. Not sure about amazon. Video from the camera roll seems to depend on what iOS device you have - some models work, some don't.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-05-30, 10:06)gusmin Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 14:33)gusmin Wrote: For me also , video and music working now in Nuc 2820 - Openelec 4.0 with both Iphone 4 and Ipad 3 Retina (in ios 7.1.1).

On the other hand in Spotify although it works, when you put a playlist to continous play, after the 1st song the airplay function on xbmc stops although the next song is playing in Ipad (without sound and with selected as device the XBMC from the airplay menu)

Any assist for that?

I just found out that the problem is not with ipad but with xbmc airplay. I bought a galaxy s4 and after installing the airaudio and allstream apps I have the same problem when using airplay with spotify on the other hand when I use the same apps but with upnp protocol the streaming is ok. The problem with upnp is that it had much higher expectations from network than airplay so it has some gaps because of the network.
I am still trying to figure out why airplay videos don't want to play on my win 7x64 XBMC 13.1 from my iphone5s. From the logs it seems that xbmc is failing to find my iphone's bonjour name "iphone5s.local".

I was able to add a suffix domain to my dd-wrt router for a work around but I think it's a hacky way of fixing the problem.

As a test, I was able to hobble together a Frankenstein wifi router from spare parts I had. I found an old dlink di-604 router (non wireless) and paired it with a little Trendnet travel wireless router I had.

Voila. Using the new setup I was now able to ping my iphone5s via "iphone5s.local" and playing videos through airplay worked perfectly.

So, now all my attention on my asus RT-n16 with DD-WRT installed on it. The firmware probably is buggy. I am going to try installing a later version and see if that fixes things.

I just wanted to let all of you know to take a look at your router to fix your airplay problems. I welcome any comments because I'm new to this stuff also. Smile
Are you sure DD-WRT doesn't have firewall settings related to bonjour/zero conf/avahi ?
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-06-24, 08:53)DBMandrake Wrote: Are you sure DD-WRT doesn't have firewall settings related to bonjour/zero conf/avahi ?

I spent several hours working on this today. Tried many settings to no avail. I even disabled the ddwrt firewall completely and turned off 'filter multicast'. Nothing worked. Although, I am using the currently recommended DDWRT firmware there are newer versions out there. I'm not sure if I will just be creating more problems. I just don't know enough about it. I have my work around as I stated a couple of posts back.

If anybody is using DDWRT on their router and XBMC airplay videos work I would sure like to hear from you so we can compare settings. Smile
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help us solving the AirPlay issue when using iOS7 devices7