Linux XBMC GUI lag
Hello,

I have recently build an XBMC media center, after playing with different operating systems, and configurations, I decided to use XBMC on ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64. The system works very well, except for one annoying problem. I have a pretty decent lag when accessing movie lists. The main interface as well as most menus do not have any lag, however, when I bring up the list of my movies there is a good 2 to 3 second lag moving the mouse.

I have looked around for some time trying to resolve this issue and found somewhere that I should disable the vertical black sync. I did this and was able to clear up all menu lags, however the movie list when in thumbnail view is still lagging. Also there is no lag when playing videos.

Does anyone know a resolution to this problem?

Tech specs:

Main Board:
MSI FM2-A55M-E33
North Bridge - AMD A55 Hudson D2
USB 2.0 integrated
Wireless N PCIE card
Processor:
AMD A-Series APU Quad-Core 4.1GHz
L2 Cache - 4MB
Integrated Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 8670D

Memory:
16 GB
DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Timing 9-9-9-24
Cas Latency 9
Voltage 1.5V
Integrated Audio - 8 Channels Realtek ALC887

Hard Disk:
Western Digital WD AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB W/ 32MB Cache
SATA 3.0Gb/s

Operating System:
ubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64
using Prepriatary AMD video drivers

XBMC Version:
Latest version as of 12-6 by apt-get
xbmc (2:12.0~git20130103.0959-rc3-0ubuntu4)

External storage:
Seagate - Backup Plus 3 TB 3.5" External Hard Drive

Movie count: 153
Quote:xbmc (2:12.0~git20130103.0959-rc3-0ubuntu4)

Please use our Ubuntu ppas, that version is heavily outdated. It is even a prerelease for 12.0. Next post a Debug Log, your AMD graphics is problematic. Especially with the binary fglrx blob, there is no hw acceleration at all.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I believe you are saying the version of xbmc I am using is outdated, how do I get what you have mentioned, or can I do sudoku apt-get update xbmc?

I am using the binary for amd graphics because the open source would not allow me to select a good vide mode for my tv, all the edges were cut off.

I will get the log for the current gfx and the open source tomorrow and post them.
Concerning the edges: Just disable underscan with your TV remote, the setting is called "Fit" if you have a Samsung or Just Scan for LG. Fglrx blob does underscan by default. It is found in your Picture Settings and specific to your TV.

For the rest:
Quote:sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-prestable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get upgrade

That is the upcoming 12.3 version.

Edit: Have a look here for howto use the Open Source radeon drivers: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you all for your replies, I changed the video driver back to the open source driver and the lag went away. Apparently it is the hardware accel that is causing the lag. Unfortunately i am one of the proud owners of a Panasonic tv and am unable to change the under scan for the television. So until i get me new TV in a couple weeks i will deal.

Again Thank you all.
Not sure what you mean by being unable to change the underscan (actually overscan) on the Panasonic. If you switch to the relevant HDMI input that your TV set is using for your media centre input, then switch the aspect ratio to 16:9 on the TV remote control, then go into the setup menu you should find an entry called "Overscan". It's on by default, but you can switch it off. This setting is hidden (on my tv anyway) unless I'm on the HDMI input and the aspect ratio is set to 16:9.
Odroid N2+ and Venz V10Pro (S905X), Sony DN1080 AVR, Samsung 49" LCD, Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers
(2013-12-09, 19:31)fat-tony Wrote: Not sure what you mean by being unable to change the underscan (actually overscan) on the Panasonic. If you switch to the relevant HDMI input that your TV set is using for your media centre input, then switch the aspect ratio to 16:9 on the TV remote control, then go into the setup menu you should find an entry called "Overscan". It's on by default, but you can switch it off. This setting is hidden (on my tv anyway) unless I'm on the HDMI input and the aspect ratio is set to 16:9.

On my Panasonic the setting is Picture->Aspect adjustments-> Screen Format | H Size | Zoom Adjustment
from what i was able to find online the H size controls the over scan, however on my set it is greyed out and unable to change unless you change the screen format from full to some other setting like zoom, H-Fill, just, or 4:3

and those settings are worse. Like I said this TV will be for the kids in a couple weeks so i don't really care about dealing with it until then.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC GUI lag0