Windows Home Server 2011
Hey everyone,

Does XBMC run well on Windows Home Server 2011?

Thanks
I read in the wiki that:

Quote:Windows Home Server and Windows Server are not supported but have been reported to work with some tweaks.

But I did read of some people using WHS 2011 to run XMBC…does it work well? What "tweaks" are needed?

What are the main limitations to using WHS 2011 to run XBMC? Assuming I have all the hardware requirements is there any reason why WHS would not run XBMC properly?

I understand that Windows 7 or openElec are more well suited as the OS but this particular server needs to run WHS 2011 for other reasons.

Thanks for any information.
Try some of these threads:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154120
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90534
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141391
I just simply installed xbmc on my whs 2011 box and it just works. I dont watch anything on it. I just use it to keep my mysql database up to date, centralize pseudotv channel settings and auto update my tv shows through 1ch.
I have been using WHS 2011 as my main htpc for over a year. I also have MySQL as well as Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Sabnzbd running on the same machine.

The only thing I have extra is RAM and an Hdmi graphics card.

Outputs 1080p with hd audio without a hitch and plays BR Iso's without any hassles.

Oh, I also have Mymovies running which automatically rips and discs and gets cover art.
It runs great on WHS 2011, I have been running xbmc for about 8 months so far.
(2014-01-02, 22:34)QueK9 Wrote: It runs great on WHS 2011, I have been running xbmc for about 8 months so far.

Hi, running WHS2011 myself and just tried to install XBMC. I would like to set up mySQL on the homeserver and have library updates being done within the homeserver. As there are no stand-alone library updaters for Windows (I so wish some clever developer would make this, as it's available on i.e. NAS boxes) I thought maybe I could run a minimized version of XBMC (unless it draws too much resources) and leave it running solely to update the mySQL library.

Anyway I'm getting the "unable to create GUI" when trying to start it for the first time.. so I'm wondering if you could shed some light on how you got it to run on WHS? Maybe you were sitting locally on the box with keyboard & monitor connected? I did the install on remote desktop, as my box is stored away only accessible on the network.
You can't RDP to the server, you have to have it logged in locally, and view it via something like TeamViewer. I have done this for the last couple of years, and it's been working perfectly.

MySQL + XBMC running 24/7 on the server, and only this one scrapes/updates the library.
Hi, I got slightly further:
-Had to update from standard VGA driver on my graphics card to proper driver
-Installed Teamviewer as service, and I was able to start XBMC without it crashing

However all I see is a fullscreen black window, so I think I still need to tweak guisettings.xml or something. I tried to switch to "WINDOW" mode in guisettings.xml but that didn't seem to make much of a change. Also appears XBMC rewrites the guisettings.xml file once it has been started.

If I can just get it to run, and be able to make basic changes in XBMC while I'm connected on Teamviewer, this might work - as long as XBMC won't drag too much resources. Any input on the resource usage, both when it's idle and when updating library ? I have a HP Microserver N36L so the hardware doesn't have all that much power.

Thanks
would appreciate input on how to possible reduce CPU usage on XBMC, considering it's only usage will be updating library. My server is a HP Microserver N36L which isn't all that strong hardware wise. XBMC is currently on around 20-30 % CPU usage when it's 100 % idle. I'm sure there are settings I can tweak to lower it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Home Server 20110