Linux SMB Share Disappeared Overnight
Hi,

I feel like I have tried everything possible with this but i'm lost now. I have installed XBMCbuntu on Sunday night on a samsung laptop. All went well. My server (windows 7 x64) is in the loft and each computer feeds off that no problem. Even this xbmcbuntu install went seamless and was able to add the shared music directory straight away and have been playing music since.

but today I started the laptop and the music library share has disappeared and i can't re add it because the server is not connectable via the windows smb share in xmbc.

I have:

ssh via putty and installed samba. changed the config to match the workgroup (MSHOME) and changed the server string etc (from posts on here).
restarted Samba and the system but still nothing.

Windows smb shares are not browsable at all via xbmc.

i have also edited the smb.conf in .smb and changed the workgroup name.

The pc's are:

kitchen (samsung laptop) via ethnernet
Alan-PC in the loft via ethernet also.

what is strange is that it's gone by itself, the server (Alan-PC) has not been restarted or gone to sleep. Since changing the workgroup name the xbmcbuntu is no longer visible in the windows network.

can anyone help please?

thanks
Reboot the server.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
thanks for the reply.

the server rebooted itself last night after windows update. Now I can see the xbmcbuntu on the windows network again which wasn't available last night.

I will check later to see if the files have now reappeared in xbmc (i'm at work). The pc is now showing on the Windows network (i can vnc into my main server from here)

Is there a way of seeting up a vnc connection to the xbmcbuntu pc via ssh from here?
x11vnc is what you are after.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks Nick,

you have helped on both fronts i'm up and running now.

with x11vnc is there a way to permanently set the port to 5906 and also does that program auto start with xbmcbuntu?

i'm having to reset the port from 5900 to 5906 each time to login.
You can set it somewhere to start automatically when X starts for a user, like

~/.config/autostart

Try
Code:
x11vnc --help|less
for options
thanks i have had to reinstall because i could not quit xbmc into ubuntu at all. it just stopped working!

i may avoid x11vnc for now.

I also had a not internet problem because xbmc kept showing the dns as 127.0.1.1. since the reinstall it is still there but i have internet!

baffled.
Dns in ubunti is very weird now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Share Disappeared Overnight0