Solved XBMCbuntu missing VDPAU option for ION
I've seriously been googling all day yesterday and have yet to figure out what's going on. I have a brand new install of XBMCbuntu with 12.2 Intel-Nvidia on an Acer Aspire Revo R1600 which uses Ion graphics. Everything I've searched for seems to indicate that I should be using VDPAU to render which I know I had been using probably about a year or two ago during my last install on this machine. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get that option to show up as an option for a Render Method. I've tried updating the drivers and even just tried installing from the xorg-edgers repo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not overly experienced on Linux (I'm learning) so...well...small words would be appreciated. Below is my log after enabling debugging, clearing the log, then rebooting. If there's anything else I can provide, please let me know.

xbmc.log
It's under Video -> Playback

Play some movie with debugging turned on and post another xbmc.log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I see where the option should be but VDPAU (or any other hardware rendering if there are other options) is completely missing from the list. I posted a new log after setting to Auto on the rendering method, clearing the logs, rebooting, and playing a movie.

http://pastebin.com/LDgtSqdz
Quote:08:14:00 T:2831674176 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Creating VDPAU(1440x608, 28)
08:14:00 T:2831674176 NOTICE: vdp_device = 0x00000001 vdp_st = 0x00000001
08:14:00 T:2831674176 ERROR: (VDPAU) unable to init VDPAU - vdp_st = 0x1. Falling back.
08:14:00 T:2831674176 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Failed to get VDPAU device
08:14:00 T:2831674176 NOTICE: (VDPAU) Close
08:14:00 T:2831674176 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10

Did you manually install some nvidia drivers?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I did at some point. I'll get a fresh install on there with no updates and post a new log. I guess it wasn't so bright of me to be posting logs for the one I've tried (and failed) to get working for the majority of the day yesterday.
New install. No updates (aside from installing fsftpd and adding in my mysql info). Really appreciate this, btw.

http://pastebin.com/w07iCvNQ
Open a terminal and type

Code:
sudo apt-get --reinstall install nvidia-current nvidia-settings libvdpau1

From that log there's nothing wrong with driver, you either upgraded to Gotham pre and you need to enable expert level on settings or you just not looking properly. Screenshots of your settings will tell.

Xorg edgers repo is a terrible idea for novices, it likely will break stuff. At best xswat ppa since only the nvidia drivers and a couple of packages upgraded from there.
Alright, so I updated as per your instructions but still no luck. Haven't done the Gotham update on any machines, including this one. I'm still on 12.2. I added the newest log (seems to be no change) as well as screenshots of everything I felt was relevant.

http://pastebin.com/2S1hdNyB

http://imgur.com/a/x97YI

If it helps, I also installed OpenELEC at some point yesterday but that also didn't have hardware rendering.
I see it right there on screenshots VDPAU

The option Allow VDPAU hardware accelerations [x] <<<-THIS IS IT.

However disable the vaapi as its not used by your system.

You will not EVER get VDPAU to show in render method, doesnt exist. Render is one Thing Acceleration something else. As I explained disable vaapi and you already have VDPAU acceleration.

Now on your Bios you should alocate 512MB to video device.

On XBMC do this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1220215

And your playback should be as good as your machine can handle.

Dont enable VDPAU studio level conversion, idk what its still doing in XBMC as its doesnt work at all, never did and I though it was removed.
Another not is Dont enable audio passthrough options like TrueHD and DTSHD (your ION cant do them) and if you have it connected to TV disable all of them, keep your audio channels to 2.0
Yay! It looks like disabling VAAPI worked. I've also allocated the memory (I think?) and it runs well enough. That other link seems to be missing some images that are necessary for configuration. Any idea what that was all about?
Ya, sort of. Imageplay.net is I think now a dead image hosting website, fantastic, this is the price of free, lost forever..

When playing a video bring up OSD and in video options set de-interlacing to auto or disable it. then save for all videos.

in xbmc

Render method autodetect.
Adjust refresh rate to match video ON
Sync playback to display ON
AV sync method set to DROP/DUPE audio

The xorg.conf is not absolutly necessary but you can try it. Screenshots would be ideal, but I dont have them anymore and atm cant get new ones to replace those.
Awesome. Thank you so much for this.
I would ask you to mark this as solved, and when you have a higher post count you can always + my rep as is you wont be able to see the rep +/- button.
I always wonder if those buttons keep disappearing from my account Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu missing VDPAU option for ION0