Win XBMC EventGhost Detect Equipment State
I want to automate my home theater system a bit. There will be times when I will use my android phone/tablet to control XBMC. Since the Android device acts as a"Second screen" where I can view my library, I will launch my media from that. Say I while I'm cooking I want to listen to my music library through the stereo which is in the other room. I'll launch the app and then play the music I want, however the TV and AVR are in the off state. I want EventGhost to turn on my HT equipment when it detects that XBMC started playing a media file. I know Eventghost can turn this equipment on via a IR blaster like USB-UIRT (all my equipment is IR controlled except HTPC which is a combo of ways), but since this equipment is being controlled via IR it is only a one way communications path.

Is there a way for EventGhost to verify that the equipment actually powered on using some kind of Current Sensor or a sensor to monitor the power on LED? I would rather have Live feed back instead of compare to previous commanded states that were never actually verified in software to have been exceuted.
Does your equipment have discreet remote control codes? If so, then maybe Eventghost wouldn't need to know whether it's on or off. Even if the system is already "on", would it be disruptive for EG to send another "On" signal?

Btw, I have no idea how to do what you're asking, sorry. But I have remote control macros that often send duplicate commands using discreet IR codes, just to make the system more foolproof.
I use the network connectivity of my AVR (could do it with TV too but its not connected to network) so a script I have running can adjust xbmc's audio settings depending on whether the avr is on or off.
Sorry that I haven't replied to this topic in a while. Been busy doing real life things

(2013-12-11, 22:49)awp0 Wrote: Does your equipment have discreet remote control codes? If so, then maybe Eventghost wouldn't need to know whether it's on or off. Even if the system is already "on", would it be disruptive for EG to send another "On" signal?

Btw, I have no idea how to do what you're asking, sorry. But I have remote control macros that often send duplicate commands using discreet IR codes, just to make the system more foolproof.

Some of my equipment has discrete codes some doesn't. like my cheap Insignia 5.1 audio receiver does not have discrete codes. On/Off is the same code. This topic is mostly directed at my reciever, also based on the experience i had with my Harmony One remote (don't get me wrong I loved it). The harmony remote is essential EventGhost in remote form. I could turn on all my equipment and set modes in one button push. But when my remote did a random reboot it lost track of the state all the equipment was in. So when the phone started back up I had to hit the activity button that I was already configured for and cover my hand over the IR blaster as to not cause my equipment to chnage their settings. In the case of my HTPC EventGhost and XBMC, the modes my HTPC would be in are possible more complex than a harmony remote. In the event that my computer does a random restart or is manually restarted I want EventGhost to doa check of the equipment state before issuing commands to the equipment. I think there are automation systems out there which issue commands via IR blasting but still use a closed loop control system via sensors. These sensors could be Light detecting diodes to detect the power on light or a current detector that trips a switch if the equipment current draw is above a certain set point.

Like you said I'm trying to make my system fool proof via feed back control loops. I haven't been able to find any X10 or zwave modules that may do this

(2013-12-11, 22:57)teeedubb Wrote: I use the network connectivity of my AVR (could do it with TV too but its not connected to network) so a script I have running can adjust xbmc's audio settings depending on whether the avr is on or off.

This is actually a pretty good idea. I could do this with my TV. Does your script just check the network for the TV's IP address or do you actually PING the address? How does your TV behave while in the power off state. These things are still vampires and I wonder if it keeps its network connectivity alive in a power off state.

I am planning on upgrading my audio receiver to a audio-video receiver that that multiple HDMI in and one HDMI out. It will also have to be HDMI-CEC compatable/enabled. With that I could get a USB HDMI CEC gateway that works with eventghost. But this is a few years out

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC EventGhost Detect Equipment State0