"Tuner is needed for recording"
Sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't find it anywhere. When I try to perform an "on the fly recording" by selecting "record" while I'm watching a show in progress, I get a message saying "tuner is needed for recording" and then it stops playing the show that I'm watching. The recording shows up in the guide with a little clock icon and then after a few minutes that turns into a red recording icon indicating the recording is happening.

I'm running with a three-tuner HDHomerun prime. While watching live TV there should still be two tuners free. I can record more than one show at a time, so I know the system understands that there are multiple tuners, but I don't know why it throws this message and kicks me out of the show. Any ideas? Thanks.
Doing an on the fly recording should simply be flagging to ServerWMC that the recording already in progress (the LiveTV recording being remuxed and sent to XBMC) should be kept rather than deleted. So WMC shouldnt be kicking in to "do a recording" and taking the tuner. The fact you said it happens in a few minutes also sounds interesting. Perhaps instead of instant recording your current show it is scheduling a future recording for a show that is starting in a couple of minutes. Were you close to a show boundary when doing this?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Possible. Let me test some more and see what I can find out. I was able to reproduce this three times in a row with different shows on different channels (even tried different skins), so it seems unlikely but certainly possible.

Here's a link to the segment of the log where it sets up the recording and then proceeds to close the stream. It does show a couple of error lines just before the stream is closed:
http://pastebin.com/P5CgB8ex

2013/12/11 20:34:55.511 CloseIfTunerIsStolen> tuner for client: 'SMALLSERVER' was stolen for a recording, posting 'SetLastError'
2013/12/11 20:34:55.588 Remux> ENDED, >>>>>>>>>> Run Time: 4.36 min <<<<<<<<<<
2013/12/11 20:34:55.616 Received client request: SMALLSERVER|CheckError
2013/12/11 20:34:55.617 CheckError> server returning error to client: CloseIfTunerIsStolen> tuner for client: 'SMALLSERVER' was stolen for a recording, posting 'SetLastError'
2013/12/11 20:34:55.617 Finished request CheckError in 0.00s
(2013-12-12, 04:14)awp0 Wrote: Sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't find it anywhere. When I try to perform an "on the fly recording" by selecting "record" while I'm watching a show in progress, I get a message saying "tuner is needed for recording" and then it stops playing the show that I'm watching. The recording shows up in the guide with a little clock icon and then after a few minutes that turns into a red recording icon indicating the recording is happening.

I'm running with a three-tuner HDHomerun prime. While watching live TV there should still be two tuners free. I can record more than one show at a time, so I know the system understands that there are multiple tuners, but I don't know why it throws this message and kicks me out of the show. Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you go into more detail on how you are actually 'selecting record' while watching a show?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Yeah, sorry, I meant to include it in the first post. While watching live TV I press the "select" button, and in the menu that appears there is a "record" icon. In the Bello and Confluence skins, I believe it's a simple round icon all the way to the right side of the list of menu options. As soon as I select that, I get two messages: The first states that the recording is starting, and the second says "tuner is needed for recording". Then it kicks me out.

My remote control doesn't currently have a "record" button mapped, so I think the only way I can record on the fly is to use this menu.
(2013-12-12, 05:11)awp0 Wrote: Yeah, sorry, I meant to include it in the first post. While watching live TV I press the "select" button, and in the menu that appears there is a "record" icon. In the Bello and Confluence skins, I believe it's a simple round icon all the way to the right side of the list of menu options. As soon as I select that, I get two messages: The first states that the recording is starting, and the second says "tuner is needed for recording". Then it kicks me out.

My remote control doesn't currently have a "record" button mapped, so I think the only way I can record on the fly is to use this menu.

That's weird, because that's exactly how I was doing an 'instant' record when I was implementing it. I just checked it (confluence) and it works the way I expect.

You are running a new version of serverwmc right? This feature was added on the version before last.

If you are running the new version. If you have time, restart serverwmc, preproduce the steps, and post a link to the whole server log here.

FYI, The other ways to implement an instant record (which means hitting record on the show you are currently watching) is to bring up the channel list and hit record in the context menu for the same channel you are watching, OR bring up the epg and hit record in the context menu that comes up for the show you are watching.
Thanks Krusty. I'm an idiot, and it looks like my software is out of date. I am running 1.0.0.16 build 1089 for the server and 0.1.91 for the add-in. I will update these and report back! Sorry, it should have been the first thing I checked.
lol. No problem. Yeah, let me know if it works.
Ok, I just updated the server and client, and it seems to be working now. Sorry about that. One small observation though: When the recording has started, it doesn't seem to show the "red dot" in the EPG. I know it's being recorded because I can see the recording listed in the recordings section. But I'm not getting the red dot indicator in the EPG. Oddly, I *was* getting the red dot in the EPG before I upgraded the server. I believe there was also a recording indicator on the main menu when a recording was in progress, but that's also gone now.
(2013-12-12, 06:08)awp0 Wrote: Ok, I just updated the server and client, and it seems to be working now. Sorry about that. One small observation though: When the recording has started, it doesn't seem to show the "red dot" in the EPG. I know it's being recorded because I can see the recording listed in the recordings section. But I'm not getting the red dot indicator in the EPG. Oddly, I *was* getting the red dot in the EPG before I upgraded the server. I believe there was also a recording indicator on the main menu when a recording was in progress, but that's also gone now.

Yeah you are right, the recording indicator doesn't show up there yet, I need to fix that. However you should see that there is a timer for the recording you just started in the timer list.

These instant records are not being done by the windows recording service (as normal), rather serverwmc is managing them. This is what enables us to record from the beginning of when you started watching the show, as opposed to just recording from when you hit record, as wmc would do.
Ok, cool. Thanks again for the quick help tonight. You guys are doing really great work here.

That little red dot indicator was implemented quite elegantly in the Bello skin, so I noticed when it was missing! No worries though, I can do without it. Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Tuner is needed for recording"0