Win Sky TV box remote and Windows based system?
I've got a secondary computer that will act as the media with XBMC up and running.
My last obstacle is deciding on the remote control method.

Would a Sky TV remote work? I know that the actual Sky box does not support CEC over HDMI, however the remote itself should?

Am I better off buying a cheap touchscreen Android phone, or a RC11 remote for example?
Your PC won't support CEC either unless you have a CEC adaptor.
Your options are:
1. If your TV supports CEC, you could buy a CEC adaptor - then your TV remote and/or Sky remote in TV mode would work (so long as the HDMI is not daisy chained to the TV through the Sky box).
2. If your PC already has an IR receiver, you could train XBMC to respond to the existing TV or Sky remote kepresses. (Time consuming!)
3. Buy an MCE remote with IR dongle (MCE should work "out of the box".)
4. Buy a wifi remote (advantage over IR you do not need "line of sight" to a PC IR receiver)
4. Use a smartphone or tablet (Apple or windows would do either). However, I wouldn't buy one just for this - a remote doesn't need rechargiing every day or shut the screen down after a minute.
Hi there thanks Mayoman,

Based on your 3 suggestion I found this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/niceEshop-Infrar...ywords=MCE

I'm correct in thinking a 'wifi' remote is a RC 11 type device ?

I had another idea. Using a game controller in conjunction with Xpadder. I already have a PS2 controller that can function as a mouse device in Windows via USB.
(2013-12-12, 15:08)Saraya Wrote: Hi there thanks Mayoman,

Based on your 3 suggestion I found this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/niceEshop-Infrar...ywords=MCE
That should work, though not sure of the build quality at that priceSmile

Quote:I'm correct in thinking a 'wifi' remote is a RC 11 type device ?
Sorry, sloppy phrasing, I meant RF rather than IR, and thinking of something like this, though I guess that's a bit above budgetSmile

Quote:I had another idea. Using a game controller in conjunction with Xpadder. I already have a PS2 controller that can function as a mouse device in Windows via USB.
Yes - you might also want to take a look at this thread. I'm sure you can find more if you search.
I understand. I have access to discounted Harmonys via where I work, so I might look into that or at least down the road if I get fancy.

Thanks for the link concerning controllers - that will come in handy for custom mapping later on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sky TV box remote and Windows based system?0