Library update How Long??
How long do people's library updates take for large library's

For example with a library of 1000 movies and about 50 tv shows comprising about 3000 episodes.

Also, can anyone tell me if the speed of a library update is more dependent on the CPU of the XBMC client or the CPU of ones Server/NAS or indeed the speed of the XBMC clients storage drives or Server drives. My clients run openelec off 16gb USB 2 sticks and server drives are mostly WD greens.

It's just it's gotten to the point where startup library updates on my clients are taking about 10 minutes.

I'd move to a MySQL or UPNP library sharing setup only for the fact that none of the extra fanart, discart or clearart etc is supported by those solutions yet.

If the bottleneck for library update speeds is the NAS CPU then I'll prioritise my planned upgrade to a full blown server whereas if the bottleneck is the speed of the clients then I'll prioritise upgrading those before the server.
Its depends on the clients themselves - it is them doing the lookups, generating their own thumbs, etc….

I have one central client that does library upgrades and then share that out using mysql - I don't do any library updates on the clients. You can share thumbs, clear art, etc… using mysql - not sure why you don't think that works?

UPNP should offer all of that in the future too, but isn't quite there yet.
My update process takes about 30 seconds. All hard drives (total = 12TB) are connected directly via USB3 to the mac with XBMC on it.

1600 movies, scraper = Universal movie scraper
198 TV shows with ~15000 episodes, scraper = TVDB

Mac OSX 10.8.5 on mac mini late 2012, Frodo 12.2
Are you using NFOs or scraping locally all the time. Scraping locally off a NFO is faster in my experience.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
Even after installing Media Browser 3 to test a fortnight ago which monitors the media folders and almost instantly adds NFO's and thumbs etc, the updates on the clients still take a long time.

Still, It must be the clients as you guys say. D525 dual core 1.8ghz Atoms in the arctic mc001 clients. Great for 1080p with the GPU acceleration and even Aeon Nox 4.19 runs smooth on them but the just seem to choke on library updates.

Thanks guys
Use a central library and scrape once. I have atoms, pi' and god know what else dotted around - will make your life much easier.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library update How Long??0