Zotac ZBOX-ID18-U Barebones Mini PC
(2014-01-06, 18:07)fritsch Wrote: There is not Bitstream Audio via SPDIF.

Yes concerning the other question.

sorry, forgive my ignorance - what do you mean by:

There is not Bitstram audio via SPDIF - this means it cannot handle HD audio (DTS-HDMA and True-HD) via Optical

Can it handle HD audio (DTS-HDMA and True-HD) passthough via HDMI output?
Intel NUC DC3217IYE, 8GB Corsair RAM, Crucial 120GB mSATA, Windows 8.1 - XBMC Jarvis 16.1 - Aeon MQ 7, JVC HD-550 Projector, Beamax M Series 10015 Screen, Synology DS1812+, Qnap TS-410, Logitech Harmony Ultimate, Flirc+ USB dongle

SPDIF cannot handle bitstream audio at all. It is limited to 2 channels. Only DTS and AC3 / EAC3 will work over that connection.

HDMI can handle those formats just fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-01-06, 19:05)fritsch Wrote: SPDIF cannot handle bitstream audio at all. It is limited to 2 channels. Only DTS and AC3 / EAC3 will work over that connection.

HDMI can handle those formats just fine.

Thanks again fritsch. So looks like this can handle my requirements pretty well.

Am surprised - I thought I would have to spend more money to get a robust solution for my requirements

If I had slightly more budget, what higher model would you advise/recommened in the Zotac range? would be looking to install Openelec
Intel NUC DC3217IYE, 8GB Corsair RAM, Crucial 120GB mSATA, Windows 8.1 - XBMC Jarvis 16.1 - Aeon MQ 7, JVC HD-550 Projector, Beamax M Series 10015 Screen, Synology DS1812+, Qnap TS-410, Logitech Harmony Ultimate, Flirc+ USB dongle

If you buy now, I would go with the core i3 haswell nuc.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Does it support wake up from S5 from USB (read: MCE compatible IR receiver)?
Regards,
Embrion
I've noticed usb ports are powered off when you shut it down but this could possibly be changed in the bios. Will test tonight when I get home.

*edit* also found this on the openelec forum :

http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...nal-usb-ir
I could not power on my ID18 from off. No matter which bios settings I choose.
Bummer, I already have Acer Revo that has the same problem and I hate powering it from button while everything else is handled by Harmony remote.
ZOTAC seems to implement it randomly as saome models including latest products support it.

This review confirms that ID18 doesn't wake from USB while more expensive ID62 does.
Regards,
Embrion
Guys, could you check how it works from S3 (suspend)? Sorry for post after post but it looks like nowdays Intel doesn't keep USB powered while in S5.
Regards,
Embrion
Any holder of zbox ID18 I can confirm that HD audio (DTS-HDMA and True-HD) passthrough works on zbox ID18 with OpenELEC / XBMC?
I found the post with mixed results.

today the zbox ID18 is best cheapest/performance found in italy.

thanks
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Works for me.
(2014-01-14, 19:21)fritsch Wrote: Works for me.
thanks you

with OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu?

your system is ZBOX - HDMI -> a/v reciver - HDMI -> TV

I can get you a couple more questions:
usb wakeup from remote control work?
do you have try BR full 3D iso? or full sbs?
as the fan noise? ( during the moments of silence )
load/fps CPU/GPU on GUI and 1080p with hight bitrate ( mkv with size 13-16gb )?
film at 24p work? mkv 24p -> TV 24hz

In Italy it costs about € 120, other solutions Barebone highest performing i3/1037u cost about € 180, do you think is a good buy?
thanks.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Quote:your system is ZBOX - HDMI -> a/v reciver - HDMI -> TV
yes

Quote:with OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu?
I use my tree github.com/fritsch

Quote:do you have try BR full 3D iso? or full sbs?
Nope, never tried, don't have a matching TV.

Quote:load/fps CPU/GPU on GUI and 1080p with hight bitrate ( mkv with size 13-16gb )?
Are you sane? :-) It's done by VAAPI you can even decode that one: http://jell.yfish.us/media/Jellyfish-70-Mbps.mkv

24.0 Hz is no problem.
24p is as it's a IVB, but can be workarounded with Sync Playback to Display
I've just picked up one of these with the intention of using it as a secondary player. I'm now considering sacking off my PCH and using this as my main player instead.

I installed a 60gb Crucial M4 ssd and 4gb's of DDR3 ram that I had spare after a Mac Mini upgrade. The gui is really quick and responsive and for £100 I'm chuffed to bits with it. It makes the ATV2 and the PCH feel so sluggish in comparison.

The only downside at first was how I would control it, especially with the lack of IR and wake from usb. I installed the XBMC iOS remote app and set it up to use the wake on lan feature.

Now I can turn it on from a cold boot and also power off when not needed. It's not really a downside, I can power on and off fully, but I can't use the suspend option as it immediate wakes up.

I'm just glad this thread was here otherwise I would of missed this gem completely so cheers everyone. Smile
(2014-01-15, 13:38)looun Wrote: as the fan noise? ( during the moments of silence )
I was investigating a fanless system, but this would be two to three times the price of this box. You can hear the fan when the CPU gets warm, but only if there are no noises around. For instance my synology with a WB red disk makes more noise (also my refrigerator and heating system)

I am loving my Zotac!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ZBOX-ID18-U Barebones Mini PC1