Win XBMC Tools – Actors – Bulk Update Tool.
One of the things we try to do with our media collection is to keep as complete a set of metadata and artwork files as possible. Usually this is done by using tools like Media Center Master, Ember or even XBMCs built in scrapers.

The challenge is that actor images aren’t always available at the time they are scraped. This is a problem for XBMC given that unless it knows of the location of a link to the image it will forever leave the image blank unless you ‘refresh’ or rescrape the movie or show the actor is in.

Media browser tackled this differently by always checking for the art from its ImagesbyName/People folder. On the other hand, it did not have a way of storing the actor images with the movie/show, in the way XBMC supports using the .Actors folder.

So, to try and update all the actors I had images for, in all the movies I created this new tool. It attempts to harvest as many actor images as it can from both XBMC .Actors folders and Media browser ImagesByName/People folder and pull them together into a new central storage area. Once they are all gathered together you can update all of the .Actors folders in your video library or update the Media Browser ImagesByName/People folders.

However, it does have one final trick up its sleeve. I have included an option to update the actors table within the XBMC MyVideosXX.DB so you can point it directly at the central storage area. It does this by updating all the thumb paths within the Actors Table, and pointing them at the new location. The benefit of this is that even if the actor image does not exist at the time you update the table , as long as it has an entry in the table you can add the image later and XBMC will automatically cache it when it becomes available.

The tool is broken into three main sets of functions:

Harvesting Options,
  • ◾Harvest ImagesByName, this recursively checks the Media browser ImagesByName/People folder for actors and copies them to a central library.
  • ◾Harvest .Actors Folder, this option recursively walks through the path you set containing your movie/shows looking for any .Actors folders. When found, copies them to a central library.
Update Options
  • ◾Update .Actors Folders, recursively checks all the movie/shows .NFO files within selected videos path, checks for a .Actors folder in the same path as the .NFO, compares the actors contained in the .NFO with those in the .actors folder, if any are missing , cross check the central library and if any are found , copy them to the .Actors folder in the same path as the .NFO.
  • ◾Update ImagesByName, similar to the Update .Actors folders in that it checks the cross references the files found in the central store with the folders held in ImagesByName/People. If it exists in the central store and not the ImagesByName/People folder, it copies it over.
XBMC Database Options
  • ◾Update Actors Table, will update all of the thumbnail paths to actors found in the actors table of XBMC to the central storage folder. This will ensure that XBMC will always look for the Actor file on that path if it exists or not. This has the benefit of XBMC not needing to rescrape its metadata when the actor image eventually is added to the central storage folder. XBMC in this case will simply cache it as normal. Warning, this could affect the performance of your XBMC is you have a lot of missing actors if your central storage area is on the network.
  • ◾Delete Textures.DB, this will delete the XBMC textures database forcing XBMC to try and re-cache all the artwork and images. Warning this is a fairly serious option to tick and can mean that XBMC will re-scrape everything. Not so bad if its local metadata, painful if its from one of the online sources.
  • ◾Delete Thumbnails Folder, this will delete the XBMC thumbails cache. This should ONLY be used in conjunction with the Delete Textures.DB option. Otherwise you will wind up with the cache folder and its referening TEXTURES.DB database out of sync.

Download XBMC Tools - Actors Bulk Update

History

1.0 First Release.
XBMC Version: Gotham Alpha 9 Skin: Xperience 1080

http://www.stateofdecay.info
looks promising.
i will test it out and let you know what i think.
i had some issues when using this tool.
first thing i did was to create a test setup so it wasnt screwing up my main .db files.
the first issue i had was that of the 200 actors that it should have collected from my test setup it collected roughly half of them.
the second issue was that of updating the .actors folders the issue being that it didnt.
third issue i had was updating the actors table to the centralized folder once i did this xbmc no longer pulled thumbs for any of my actors in the test folders until i deleted the source and rescraped it at which point it used the old image files instead of the updated ones.

on a side note about this app
if
Quote:Delete Textures.DB, this will delete the XBMC textures database forcing XBMC to try and re-cache all the artwork and images. Warning this is a fairly serious option to tick and can mean that XBMC will re-scrape everything. Not so bad if its local metadata, painful if its from one of the online sources.
Delete Thumbnails Folder, this will delete the XBMC thumbails cache. This should ONLY be used in conjunction with the Delete Textures.DB option. Otherwise you will wind up with the cache folder and its referening TEXTURES.DB database out of sync
is true they should be linked into one option since you shouldnt do one without the other.
or if deleting the Textures db without deleteing the thumbnails db is exceptable then the "Delete Thumbnails Folder" option should be a sub option of "Delete Textures.DB" making "Delete Thumbnails Folder" only tickable if its parent option its selected.
Hi Vampirebat,

Thanks for taking the time to test the tool, some of your findings are interesting. Would you mind answering a few questions to help me refine it further ?

(2013-12-15, 21:27)Vampirebat Wrote: i had some issues when using this tool.
first thing i did was to create a test setup so it wasnt screwing up my main .db files.
the first issue i had was that of the 200 actors that it should have collected from my test setup it collected roughly half of them.
the second issue was that of updating the .actors folders the issue being that it didnt.
Can I ask, do you have local metadata for these folders ? ie , local .nfo files for the moves/tv shows you are updating ? If you do , would you mind sending me a copy of one from the folders that didn't update so I can be sure the XML processing I have written is correct.
(2013-12-15, 21:27)Vampirebat Wrote: third issue i had was updating the actors table to the centralized folder once i did this xbmc no longer pulled thumbs for any of my actors in the test folders until i deleted the source and rescraped it at which point it used the old image files instead of the updated ones.

Can I ask , are you scraping local metadata here ? or using the IMDB/TVDB scapers ?
Quote:on a side note about this app
if
Quote:Delete Textures.DB, this will delete the XBMC textures database forcing XBMC to try and re-cache all the artwork and images. Warning this is a fairly serious option to tick and can mean that XBMC will re-scrape everything. Not so bad if its local metadata, painful if its from one of the online sources.
Delete Thumbnails Folder, this will delete the XBMC thumbails cache. This should ONLY be used in conjunction with the Delete Textures.DB option. Otherwise you will wind up with the cache folder and its referening TEXTURES.DB database out of sync
is true they should be linked into one option since you shouldnt do one without the other.
or if deleting the Textures db without deleteing the thumbnails db is exceptable then the "Delete Thumbnails Folder" option should be a sub option of "Delete Textures.DB" making "Delete Thumbnails Folder" only tickable if its parent option its selected.

This is a valid point, I will add a dialog that offers the recommendation , and option to tick all three

So if i understand this right, I should be able to use this fine tool for:

Change actor thumbs placement in the databae of xbmc ?

And get it to to update the actors images ?

Taking into account this scenario:

1. I have used Media center master to scrape for metadata and save them into the movies folders.

2. The actor folder (people folder) I placed on my NAS.

3. I rebuild my nas and changed the placement of the Actor folder.

4. I have made a shared Mysql database on the NAS

5. I made the XBMC scrape my movie collection on the NAS, creating data on the mysql using local .nfos

6. Problem: The moviename.nfos in the moviefolders point to the old Actors folder that dosen't exist.
So the Actor images in XBMC is empty.

7. Question: Can i get this tool to change the folder placement in the database and also import the images ?
Or i could just create the old Actor folder, but still need get the Actor images imported into the database.

Updating (scraping) the moviecollection again from inside xbmc would be a pain as i got a huge collection in several folders, and im not even sure it would get the actor images
(besides dumping my db an start from scratch !
Hi muggisan,

Your basic assumptions are correct , however this version of the tool was/is pitched at local metadata and the standard SQLLITE database.

That said , I am just polishing the next version off and it has these features :

New Features:

IMDB direct image scraping
Manual Image update & Search
Keyword replacement ( deals with person_(guest star).jpg type issues )
Direct Texturedb management. (No need to delete / recache )
Support for MediaBrowser 3
Update .NFO files with updated Actor Paths

Bug Fixes:

Fixed - Harvest Mediabrowser, followed by a Update .Actors folder would abort.
Fixed - Did not skip inline Actors Folder.
Fixed - Save settings did not always load.

Drop me a note if you fancy being a beta tester

@Da1ek

I downloaded this about an hour ago and have been running it on my HTPC server... so far everything seems great. I also have Media Browser installed on that system so I'm able to take advantage of the ImagesByName scanning as well. Originally I had two things I wanted to mention (one is a request), but after about an hour, the Table Update finally finished... almost listed it as a potential bug in not updating the status.

Here's what I did:
I filled in the directories and did a harvest with both options, then ran it a second time with both harvest options as well as Update .Actors folder and Update .Actors Table.

So, first off, I have multiple sources set up in XBMC and at first wasn't sure which to put into this app, so I attempted to use the root folder of the sources, but it appears it does not harvest any of the .Actor folders this way. I then tested a single sources root and again, it appears to not have harvested anything from the .Actors folders contained in those shows. So the ability to set up multiple root folders would be great, especially if you give the user the ability to add them dynamically as needed. Or potentially better, if your app is run from the same system as XBMC, it'd be great if you could read the sources.xml and just check each root.

I can provide more details on my setup or anything you need... and wouldn't mind being a beta tester if you're looking for more of them as well.
HTPC 1: 64-bit Quad Core 3.4GHz Athlon X4 / 16GB DDR3 / (8) 2TB / 42" Vizio / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
HTPC 2: 64-bit Quad Core 2.0GHz / 8GB DDR3 / 1TB / Windows 8.1 (x64) / IIS 8.5
My Personal Blog - NewsDemon | Text size doesn't seem to be working anymore for signatures?
I'm using gotham beta 4 and most of my actors are just showing as stars. Xbmc should be constantly checking actors that are unknown to acquire images. I might give this tool a go. Are there known issues updating beta 4 database?
Hi Da1eK

Would you please send me a link to the beta version. Thanks.

(2014-03-16, 15:11)Da1ek Wrote: Bug Fixes:

Fixed - Harvest Mediabrowser, followed by a Update .Actors folder would abort.
Fixed - Did not skip inline Actors Folder.
Fixed - Save settings did not always load.

Drop me a note if you fancy being a beta tester
I would like to beta test your latest beta please...
Very interested in this.
Is it still supported?
Does it work on Kodi 16?
Where does it get the address of the actor thumbs to write to the database? My local scraper is configured to save actor images to a central folder Separated in folders alphabetically(People/A/...People/B/...) And then writes this path to the .nfo. SO if this pulls the path from the nfo or I can configure it in this way then I't would work for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Tools – Actors – Bulk Update Tool.0