• 24(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
NINJAIII:

As far as I know, all my media files are 720p, so I don't know if 1080p files would bog the ATV520 down.

My satellite set top box outputs 720p and so is the Sharp TV I have. I save the shows I want to keep with a Hauppauge HD-PVR.

tinker
at this point would you guys recommend using jynxbox over the prerc2 xda build?
Are there still problems with ntfs-formatted-drives larger than 1,5TB at the geniatech version?
(2014-03-14, 18:59)redi Wrote: at this point would you guys recommend using jynxbox over the prerc2 xda build?

redi:

I'm using the Jynxbox version and I like it. I've reverted to the Geniatech version but not back to Android from it, so use it at your own risk. The only real difference in the Jynxbox version over the Geniatech version is that the power button on the remote actually works.

If you do switch over, use the XBMC Backup addon to save the profile of your Geniatech version, (make sure you set the 'include addon data' in the addons settings). Then you can restore everything to the Jynxbox version except the skin settings which only take a few minutes to put back.

tinker

(2014-03-14, 20:26)Xardos Wrote: Are there still problems with ntfs-formatted-drives larger than 1,5TB at the geniatech version?

I assume you're talking about a USB external drive. If you can, using a network drive on your LAN instead would be easier, then the disc size or file system wouldn't make any difference.

tinker
thanks tinker. I'm actually liking the xda based on Frodo 12.4. everything seems to work perfectly, especially now that I have the power doing instant off. maybe i'll hold off, perhaps until gotham goes final and there's a gotham build out for Linux. I've been monitoring the xda thread but I haven't seen any new builds from chroniccorey aside from the new jynxbox stuff.

I've been using the istream amber skin addon and I'm digging it.

I've had a few times where xbmc has crashed but I can count them on one hand and I use xbmc daily.

I have no plans to ever go back to android, but if I flipped over to jynxbox it would be nice if I knew I could revert back if necessary.
redi:

I noticed the XDA version crashed sometimes too. The Jynxbox version has been solid, though. Do the time zones work on the XDA version yet?

No guarantees getting back to the XDA version (same for Android) but I did revert to the Geniatech version from Jynxbox twice using the SD bootcard method.

I tried the amber skin and it is pretty fast but I like the control Confluence provides better.

tinker
I haven't gotten the timezone working yet but it doesn't bother me at all.

do you know if I can go from xda to jynxbox over usb thumbdrive, or do I have to upgrade over microSD?
redi:

No idea if Jynxbox would install from USB. I just followed the instructions copying the files to an SD card, then powering up holding down the upgrade button.

tinker
Hey Tinker wasn't there problems reverting back after installing Jynxbox Version?
How was this overcome?

Does your box overheat?
There has been a problem with overheating and the box would turn off.

(2014-03-14, 22:35)redi Wrote: I haven't gotten the timezone working yet but it doesn't bother me at all.

do you know if I can go from xda to jynxbox over usb thumbdrive, or do I have to upgrade over microSD?

You need to use SDCard
Press THANK USER if I Help
AuXBoX:

I've reverted back to Geniatech more than once, but I haven't been able to revert from Geniatech back to Android and haven't try with the Jynxbox version.

No, the ATV520 doesn't overheat or shutdown while I'm using it. I'm only outputting 720p to my TV though. Seems to work just fine... so far.

Are you thinking of adding it to the list in your first post? You could always mention that it's a one way trip if folks install it. But, for me at least, so was the Geniatech version.

tinker
Probably will just want to make sure we can get back to Android
XuXBoX:

I was only able to get back to Android once from Geniatech and never again. I don't have a terminal cable and most folks don't either. If you can come up with a way I could get back to Android, I'll give it a try.

It could be I've just messed something up on my ATV, even though it still works. When I 'dmesg' from Putty, I get a lot of messages during boot showing flash ram errors.

From a safety point of view, I'd say the XDA version would be best because it uses the Android boot code. If they'd just fix the time zone issue, I'd be using it for sure.

tinker
Can you get to recovery menu?
AuXBoX:

When I tried to revert from Geniatech to Android, all I got was a light blue screen, no recovery menu. Geniatech would install and so would JynxBox. I never tried installing just the Android boot code followed by upgrading from an .img file.

I really didn't care for the Android much anyway.

tinker
Made a revert bootcard to get back to Android from jynxrom pure linux

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1r3anv4hfubi5wr/Ss2bD31f9Q

have fun Wink

(2014-03-14, 22:50)tinker Wrote: redi:

No idea if Jynxbox would install from USB. I just followed the instructions copying the files to an SD card, then powering up holding down the upgrade button.

tinker

revert back to Android bootcard made by me Wink https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1r3anv4hfubi5wr/Ss2bD31f9Q
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5