• 47(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
An update on the buzzing when playing flac on the xda linux 13.1 build. I had a play and noted that the buzzing starts when there has been a transition from one track to another when playing an "album". I repeated the same behaviour on the ATV520 (HDMI audio) and ATV1200 (RCA audio). I also changed default music player to DVDplayer by using advancedsettings.xml but the buzzing still happened.

I've managed to back this out (with a bit of fear on my part I must admit) and am now back on Android 4.2 with Gotham 13.1 and the sound is OK.
Sorry for delay Sonofdibnah but now have tested some .flac music files on my Sumvision Cyclone X2 Linux XBMC box via an external USB hard drive plugged directly into it. I can report that there is no buzzing sound or distortion at all here. It plays through the HDMI connection to my Denon AVR 500 Home Theatre unit.

Do not know how, or even why, to change to default DVD player as it just reverts to the standard XBMC one when I select that. Or does this DVD player option mean you have to have a USB connected DVD player plugged into the box. Never even bothered to think of what the DVD player option is for in XBMC ?? So why do we need it even, as DVDs are now so 1990's and not needed these days IMHO. I have a Blu Ray player (BD) and several genuine BD discs with movies and documentary stuff but I honestly so very rarely use it since I first had my Linux XBMC media box early last year, as just not needed any more unless the internet is down. Also have NAS drives storage with loads of media available to me if I do have no internet for some odd reason.

I must say I see no point in going back to Android especially now with the superb latest Linux XBMC Gotham 13.1 build also with true 1080 HD as well. This build is so stable and snappy; I love it. Only caveats with this latest Linux Gotham 13.1 build is there is still no support for the ATV520 box (and others) Broadcom WiFi, and no support for the useful Confluence 7 icons tweak which is really down to the 7 icon tweak folk to fix for Gotham of course.

Also since Frodo 12.3 I still have this odd thing I reported above, where passthrough for AC3 and DTS content from the Linux XBMC box HDMI output does NOT switch my very new Denon AVR500 into digital Dolby/DTS mode. So I have to annoyingly switch it manually on the Denon, else of course I get the typical loud unresolved data stream low frequency buzzing and staccato noise. This seems so far only a problem with my Denon specific model as others report that they do not get this passthrough switching problem on their different Denon AVR models, or indeed with other makes of AVR units. It is the same problem on my friends Denon AVR 500 too, so not a fault with my specific AVR. Would love this and the other two problems above fixed and then I would be in XBMC heaven for sure :-) Anyone Huh

BTW with your handle here are you any relative of the famous TV star and steam engine man Fred Dibnah ??

Must say a big thank you to all the developers and compilers here on this board (and other sites too of course). I have the utmost admiration and respect for their skills and massive input to this community :-)
Cheers
Raymw
raymw, I too have the Sumvision X2 and have in the past run various builds of linux xmbc on it with varying degrees of success but have allways gone back to android for the stability of it, however it is definitely slower.

So i have decided to give linux another go, could you confirm that the version that you are using is the XDA one linked to on page 1, if not could you kindly point me in the right direction for it. Thanks.
Thanks for your feedback on the audio buzzing raymw. The trouble I was having was with flac being played from NAS, so you have helped eliminate the fault from being with storage directly connected to the box. I'm not too concerned now I'm back on android 13.1 but just posted in case anyone else had experienced it. I'd guess now that something goes wrong with my box to NAS connection on Linux 13.1 when one track ends and another starts.

I have a not so new Denon AVR3806, the first to have HDMI, and sympathize with the problems you're having. Mine is OK with my ATV520 but refuses to handshake with my DVD player or TV receiver.

I'm not a relative of the late Fred Dibnah, just an admirer. He was a superb character.
Hi Bodgit. See Auxbox's post #630 in this thread and there he confirms that he has made this true 1080 stable Linux build the 1st of the three compiled builds available in the opening post on page 1 of this long thread. So the answer is yes mate.

This is for me a very stable build indeed and will work 100% on your Sumvision Cyclone X2 box (or MyGica ATV1200 too of course) As everyone says being Linux based XBMC it is far snappier, smoother and overall faster than Android. No point in using Android now as we have a good stable Linux XBMC Gotham 13.1 build available, unless that is you really want all that unnecessary Andorid bloatrware eating up your resources and slowing you down.

Also see AuxBox's post #656 in this thread if you get the 1/4 screen small picture problem in 1080 mode,which you may do if upgrading from an earlier Linux Gotham or Frodo build. If so you need to delete or modify one small file as he points out.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi thanks to the xda team for the superb version of 13.1 work like a dream an atv520e two questions
ssh does not alow me to log in with username root / password letmein what is it ?
is ther a fix for the wifi that does not get detected
(2014-07-16, 12:09)conradvo Wrote: Hi thanks to the xda team for the superb version of 13.1 work like a dream an atv520e two questions
ssh does not alow me to log in with username root / password letmein what is it ?
is ther a fix for the wifi that does not get detected

Not yet as the 520 box uses a Broadcom WiFi system which is not compatible at this time with the Network WiFI Manager utility that comes with Linux Frodo 12.4 and all the Linux Gotham builds. I understand that the developers know about this an dare working on it. This is the most urgent fix needed to Linux Gotham builds IMHO as the rest is pretty much rock solid now and what small problems there are are related to the third party add-on developers making their scripts fully compatible with Gotham, though in all fairness most of these add-ons work brilliantly with the latest Gotham builds.

For this WiFI reason I generally do not use Frodo 12.4 or Gotham Linux builds on my 520 boxes but stay with the very nice stable Linux Frodo 12.3 of 2nd January 2014. I then use the simple two minute MacBeth1975 fix to enable WiFi / Wired switching to work properly at long last and thus I personally recommend this Frodo 12.3 build on all the ATV520 boxes for now. See my earlier post in this thread #544 as to how to simply carry out this MacBeth1975 WiFi fix should you go back to Linux Frodo 12.3 on your 520 box. This fix cannot be used on Linux with Frodo 12.4 or any of the Gotham builds as they now exclusively use the WiFI Manager add-on program pre-installed with the compiled builds. So for 520 boxes unless you really do not ever need teh facility to switch to a WiFi connection, then for me Gotham can wait until this Broadcom WiFi issues is fixed.

You could get an ATV1200 box as these are very nice indeed with 4 USB ports and lots of extra connectivity if you need it, and importantly not much more expensive than the ATV520 boxes. The ATV1200 boxes do not use Broadcom WiFi so are 100% compatible with the latest Linux Gotham builds which use the integrated Network WiFI Manager. I primarily use a Sumvision Cyclone X2, which is of course an ATV1200 box too, and of course use it with the latest Linux Gotham 13,1 build, excellent combo that works brillaintly.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi there,
I just flash my box atv520e to linux gotham 13.1 built on 2014 06 18 . and I would like to revert back to android. because I want use some app from android.
I using button upgrade and hold it 10s but my box still boot up linux mx. Can someone guide me how to revert back to android?
(2014-07-18, 01:25)caca123 Wrote: Hi there,
I just flash my box atv520e to linux gotham 13.1 built on 2014 06 18 . and I would like to revert back to android. because I want use some app from android.
I using button upgrade and hold it 10s but my box still boot up linux mx. Can someone guide me how to revert back to android?

Look here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1r3anv4hfubi5wr/Ss2bD31f9Q

Try MX_LINUX-STVMX_Android_Revert.zip to revert to Geniatech Android 4.1 release and then MYGICA-ATV1200_ANDROID 4.2 UPGRADE FILES.zip to get latest MyGica 4.2 release. Inset SD, hold reset, insert power, release reset button after 10 seconds, and wait patiently.
Have to say subjectively that I can think of absolutely no Android app that I cannot use better on my tablet or smart phone than on my TV media box. So cannot understand why anyone would want to sacrifice the smoother faster better media streaming performance that Linux XBMC offers over the inferior Android based equivalent. I know we all have different needs but logically to me this is a no-brainer. After all surely XBMC based media streaming of video and audio on demand is for almost all folk by far the main purpose for having and using these XBMC media boxes, Just my two cents worth folks

The latest Linux XBMC Gothum 13.1 is IMHO superb and leaves any Android based media box system miles behind in terms of performance.and even stability now too.
Cheers
Raymw
I agree raymw,

even android in general is slow, and with all the addons xbmc has now you dont need it.
If you want apps use an android phone or tablet
Press THANK USER if I Help
Sorry Ray, I kind of disagree. My ATV1200 box (Sumvision cyclone x2) frequently hangs under all the linux builds I've tried, which it doesn't do under Android. It might just be my particular setup, but it's really not very user-friendly behaviour and is far from stable. Even though it's noticeably slower and remote performance isn't so smooth, the Android port is much more stable for me and that's what I currently run. I am not at all interested in other Android apps.

I am desperate to try Codesnake's OpenElec port, but I don't have the skills to build a version that will boot on g02ref. Any chance of telling me exactly what I need to do here j1nx? Big Grin
Understand your reasoning entirely Bobones. Well to be honest I on odd occasions get a lock up with my latest Linux build so sure not if you like 100% stability. But I accept that it is probably an add-on bug causing that and move on. For sure though it is a minor inconvenience and not very often either so I have to say I would not want to trade in my great Linux performance just for that occasional hiccup, but if you were getting it a lot then I can accept your point. I have heard reports that even in Android XBMC, lock ups can and still so also occur anyway..

Another big plus with Linux XBMC is it boots straight to where you want to be, i.e. in XBMC, without the need of finding and clicking on the Android XBMC app and running it up as an extra task every time after you boot up. Small inconvenience but still a relevant plus point I feel.
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-07-18, 14:09)bobones Wrote:
(2014-07-18, 01:25)caca123 Wrote: Hi there,

Look here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1r3anv4hfubi5wr/Ss2bD31f9Q

Try MX_LINUX-STVMX_Android_Revert.zip to revert to Geniatech Android 4.1 release and then MYGICA-ATV1200_ANDROID 4.2 UPGRADE FILES.zip to get latest MyGica 4.2 release. Inset SD, hold reset, insert power, release reset button after 10 seconds, and wait patiently.

Thanks bobones , oh yah... it worked now Smile .
thanks agains bobones
(2014-07-18, 18:46)bobones Wrote: I am desperate to try Codesnake's OpenElec port, but I don't have the skills to build a version that will boot on g02ref. Any chance of telling me exactly what I need to do here j1nx? Big Grin

I'm compiling it now bobones, i'll upload for testing soon
Press THANK USER if I Help
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5