• 3(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2014-01-04, 15:55)superfreak79 Wrote: Do we have a change log?

Updated changelog

(2014-01-04, 17:54)ciquta Wrote: The zip file on it has a double extension, it's MX_LINUX-STVMX-update.zip.zip

Thanks

Fixed
Press THANK USER if I Help
This new version appears to have bricked my box. (atv1200)

Can't get to recovery, when I turn it on I just get an orange or pink screen.

EDIT: Ok managed to restore android to it using a bootable recovery SD card

The recovery.img in the linux package will not flash. is it corrupt?
The update img seems to flash fine, so is that what the problem is?

Managed to installer the older linux build OK. Then updated to the newer one OK.
(2014-01-04, 01:46)AuXBoX Wrote: Updated firmware to latest build just released 02/01/2014
Did you upgrade also the "fresh install" link?

flashed on my ATV520 but i still experience power button not working and mouse issues

Do you have the link of the geniatech download page to check if some update is available?
Just want to say thanks and that I've just successfully installed this on my MyGica ATV520E box and it works great! Only issues I've run into so far are that I can't figure out how to set a static IP, and the Info/context menu button on my Hama remote doesn't appear to send the right command, as the context menu doesn't show up.

I guess these are probably general Linux XBMC issues rather than a problem with this build though.
AuXBoX:

Nicely done! I'm using a My Gica ATV520e and your initial install (MX_BOX-Linux_XBMC20131205.zip). Installation, as per your clear instructions, went flawlessly.

I had spend a couple of days tinkering with the stock Android XBMC the My Gica came with to get it to recognize keyboard keys, play HD movies without the audio clipping, overclocking... but it wasn't going well. Too cloogy! I knew about the Linux/XBMC build but until I ran across you post, I hadn't found a safe, well explained way to restore the original Android if things went wrong. I haven't tested your recovery method but I assume you want the recovery.img file on a bootable SD card just like the Linux/XBMC install to get back to Android.

But it's different with the Linux/XBMC update with the MX_LINUX-STVMX-update20140102.zip file, right? For the update we change the extension from .zip to .img, place it on a non-bootable SD card (all by itself to be safe), then hold the update button down and use the built in recovery menu to choose the .img file?

Does the update erase the previous version of XBMC settings?

Folks may be interested in having a static IP for remote access to XBMC for remote controls but by giving this instance of XBMC a unique name in System/Services/General 'Device name', it should be recognizable to any XBMC aware programs and any UPnP aware ones as well if that feature is turned on.

Lastly, I haven't tried the update (pending clarification) but here's how I feel the power button on the remote should work. In the Android version of the ATV520e, the power button would simply shut the video down, when you hit power again, it came up right back to where you left it. In my case, I use an HDMI smart switch between my satellite box, the ATV520e and a DVD player. When I power down the ATV520, the smart switch reverts to the sat box. Powering up the ATV520 automatically switches the video right to it.

This seems like a good default behaviour to have with these boxes considering that they don't have power switches. It would also give My Gica the XBMC 'appliance' feel I got it for in the first place . Your version comes as close as I think we'll get to that! Smile Also, it can still act as a server and file management can be done remotely even while it is 'off'.

But, so far, it appears to be a 100% port of XBMC for the My Gica with no compromises! Everything seems to be working 'out of the box'.

Again, nice work!

tinker
Folks:

I can confirm that I have access to Linux/XBMC from another instance of XBMC on my Windows box. Go to System/ 'File manager', choose 'Add source', 'Browse', 'UPnP Devices'. Mine appears as: 'XBMC (wired)'.

Files on Linux/XBMC can now be accessed through the File manager. Remote control still requires a static IP, unless I'm missing something on how to use the 'Device name' in the address bar of a browser.

tinker
AuXBoX:

While I'm at it, would there be any way to integrate your Linux/XBMC with a web browser (FireFox preferred Smile ). You've helped us save some 200 meg of storage and improved overall performance, why not take advantage of it?

FireFox is the 'XBMC of web browsers' after all, with all the tinkering that can be done with it. Being able to flip back and forth between the two at will would give pretty much all the internet access we'd really need for day to day use. Here's a thread that I got the idea from:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1172733

tinker
No button on bottom. I have other boxes like atv510b and xios they both have the reset button but not atv400

(2014-01-04, 12:02)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2014-01-04, 10:51)Soulassasin187 Wrote: Where is the "upgrade" button on ATV400? I don't think there is one.

Is it on the bottom of the device?
Its the reset button
OK, I've got a stupid question....

So I followed the steps and got it working first time, get the red XBMC screen and then boots directly into XBMC all pretty straight forward however.....

The unit doesn't seem to be getting an IP address, this was a working ATV520, MAC address is the same so it should be getting the same DHCP address from my DHCP (IP was permanently bound to this MAC on my DHCP server) server but its not, ran a netscan on my network and don't pick up any devices that resemble the ATV520, checked IP address under 'System --> System Info' and its reporting that the link is not connected and IP address is 127.0.0.01 definitely not a network issue because all other devices on my network are working perfectly.

Obviously without an IP I cant get console access to troubleshoot, also doesn't look like there are flip screens available when connected directly to the unit with a keyboard so I'm baffled at this point.

Am I missing something obvious?
(2014-01-07, 17:06)jatho Wrote: OK, I've got a stupid question....

So I followed the steps and got it working first time, get the red XBMC screen and then boots directly into XBMC all pretty straight forward however.....

The unit doesn't seem to be getting an IP address, this was a working ATV520, MAC address is the same so it should be getting the same DHCP address from my DHCP (IP was permanently bound to this MAC on my DHCP server) server but its not, ran a netscan on my network and don't pick up any devices that resemble the ATV520, checked IP address under 'System --> System Info' and its reporting that the link is not connected and IP address is 127.0.0.01 definitely not a network issue because all other devices on my network are working perfectly.

Obviously without an IP I cant get console access to troubleshoot, also doesn't look like there are flip screens available when connected directly to the unit with a keyboard so I'm baffled at this point.

Am I missing something obvious?

OK Got it sorted out, went into System --> Internet Access --> Network Connection and for some reason there are 2 "WIRED" connections, selected the one not selected and its working now.
Jatho:

Go to Settings/System/Internet access, click on 'Network Connection'. You'll see a pop-up window with available connections. Then click on 'Wired' if you are using ethernet or your routers name if using wireless. You should then see 'Network Connection' showing the one you chose. If you see 'Assignment' showing 'Automatic (DHCP)', you're in!

It's not obvious, but since Linux/XBMC is the the only application on the atv520, it has to have the ability to set up the network connection itself.

You should have no problems now. It's really worth the effort, this version of XBMC rocks!

Cheers:

tinker
(2014-01-07, 17:38)tinker Wrote: Jatho:

Go to Settings/System/Internet access, click on 'Network Connection'. You'll see a pop-up window with available connections. Then click on 'Wired' if you are using ethernet or your routers name if using wireless. You should then see 'Network Connection' showing the one you chose. If you see 'Assignment' showing 'Automatic (DHCP)', you're in!

It's not obvious, but since Linux/XBMC is the the only application on the atv520, it has to have the ability to set up the network connection itself.

You should have no problems now. It's really worth the effort, this version of XBMC rocks!

Cheers:

tinker

Thanks tinker, appreciate the response, managed to find the issue and its as pointed out.

I'll do some playing around but quite excited at the prospect of running Linux on this device, far cleaner.
Jatho:

Beware though, I've 'lost' the internet connection a couple of times but the LAN still worked. If this happens, just go to 'Internet access' and repeat the network setup to get it back.

tinker
(2014-01-07, 17:48)tinker Wrote: Jatho:

Beware though, I've 'lost' the internet connection a couple of times but the LAN still worked. If this happens, just go to 'Internet access' and repeat the network setup to get it back.

tinker

interesting, I have this happen sometimes in android on the ATV520. the only way I can get it back is to reboot the box.
Just curious, but does having linux xbmc on our boxes now open us up to install other linux apps?

E.g. A web browser or emulators etc?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5