• 45(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
With these builds I've just been flashing overtop. Is there any reason to boot to recovery first and reset to defaults first?
Hey bobones which branch do you build from
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2014-06-30, 22:38)bobones Wrote: This looks a decent build, but as with all of these MX_LINUX builds (including Frodo), I find the box freezes when idle after a while.

Is this really a frozen box or XBMC F$cking about? When you have it, can you test if you can still SSH in and do "stuff"? (grabbing the log / restarting XBMC / etc)
(2014-07-01, 00:52)redi Wrote: With these builds I've just been flashing overtop. Is there any reason to boot to recovery first and reset to defaults first?
Not really, unless you want to ensure you start with a clean slate. If you want to keep your xbmc settings you can just install over the top of an existing installation or restore a backup of your .xbmc folder. As noted above, the new 1080p setting may not work correctly with existing resolution settings within the guisettings.xml file so that may need to be cleared or part cleared.

(2014-07-01, 06:11)AuXBoX Wrote: Hey bobones which branch do you build from
Last one with 1080p patch was 2013.11-Amlogic_Gotham, the previous ones were united_aml
BoBones thanks mate but I did find in the end the original 1920x1080 tester from Rotator and that is the easiest to use. I have reposted a reformatted copy of Rotator's clear instructions with download link follows:-.

>>>>>>>>>>>

To test, download and play http://www.ixbt.com/multimedia/video-met...-lines.mp4
This are two axis, horizontal and vertical, and each one have perpendicular lines.
In the centre of the screen, the horizontal and vertical lines intersects and then
creates four black boxes with white holes inside each one.

If you have real 1080p resolution, each box have 8x7 holes (56 holes) inside
(56x4=224 white pixels at the centre of the screen).

If you have 720p rescaled, then it depends on several things, but in general,
each box will have no more than 10 white holes. May be in total arround 30 white
pixels at the centre of the screen. Very far from the 224 of the 1080p definition.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Excellent tester and yes I do now have true 1080i with this latest build and with that GUISettings.xml file deleted, rboot and a new one automatically rebuilt. Tried this tester on my main ATV1200 box running Frodo 12.3 and that shows clearly the 1080i res is indeed upscaled 720p

As we all know sitting back at normal viewing distance with sub 50" TV screens I doubt if you can really notice the difference in res except maybe with very fine text like on film credits. You certainly have to look very close to see it. But anyway nice to know I now have true 1080i full HD for when i am watching true full HD content that is, and for when I get a nice 65" or 80" screen when I win the lottery LOL,
Cheers
Raymw
(2014-07-01, 08:08)j1nx Wrote:
(2014-06-30, 22:38)bobones Wrote: This looks a decent build, but as with all of these MX_LINUX builds (including Frodo), I find the box freezes when idle after a while.

Is this really a frozen box or XBMC F$cking about? When you have it, can you test if you can still SSH in and do "stuff"? (grabbing the log / restarting XBMC / etc)
It's a frozen box as far as I can tell: no response from ping, ssh or remote. The only thing that gets it going is holding down the front power button until it switches off and restarting it. This happens almost every night: i.e., I go to bed with the box left on and in the morning it's unresponsive or maybe when I get home from work. I've seen this behaviour with every MX Linux version I've tried from Corey's V1.0 release to my own builds of the latest code (on 2 different boxes), but it was never a problem with Android. I'm in Scotland so the ambient temperatures are not all that high! If there is anything I can do to help debug this then please let me know.

@raymw This is excellent news. At last we have full HD XBMC on these boxes. It's a shame you still have problems with passthrough and 520 wireless, but for most ATV1200 users the box is now working almost perfectly with the latest Croniccorey builds.Only these periodic freezes are a minor irritation for me now.
(2014-07-01, 11:18)bobones Wrote: It's a frozen box as far as I can tell: no response from ping, ssh or remote. The only thing that gets it going is holding down the front power button until it switches off and restarting it. This happens almost every night: i.e., I go to bed with the box left on and in the morning it's unresponsive or maybe when I get home from work. I've seen this behaviour with every MX Linux version I've tried from Corey's V1.0 release to my own builds of the latest code (on 2 different boxes), but it was never a problem with Android. I'm in Scotland so the ambient temperatures are not all that high! If there is anything I can do to help debug this then please let me know.

I have seen exact same behaviour but never either Corey, Stanislav or me where able to pinpoint it. However.....

I needed to do some test works, so resetted my box. The tests where just streaming related so I did not add any of my network storage locations etc. Just installed a bunch of plugins and streamed some http content. I did not really found the will yet to get it back into shape adding mu NAS sources and scan. The occasional tvserrie or movie I watch, I just grabbed it from one of the many dodgy plugins,

When you mentioned the bug, It actually hitted me. My box is still ON and OK? Could it be related to either the library or added network sources?

If you have hardware available, could you do the same as a test. Just not add sources and scan. So no, network connections. It should be fine to install some plugins. And just let it run like before.
j1nx, you may well be onto something! I have also seen the box freeze mid scan of NAS sources so I will set up my box with just addons and see if behaviour is different. Is there any way to grab a useful log from a frozen machine or do something to save periodic snapshots of logs? I'm guessing I can perhaps move the xbmc log to an external SD or logcat to an external drive?
Hang on! I think I know.

I think it is the LAN driver spoofing the log till it is full.

EDIT: No, just remember I also had it on WiFI multiple cases
More feedback from me with the new 1080i enabled Linux Gotham 13.1 build. I installed this to a brand new Android 4.1 ATV1200 box and there is no 1080i problem with the 1/4 size screen display so absolutely no need to delete the GUISettings.xml file. So great news is it works perfectly with a fresh install. You only need to delete that GUISettings.xml file when installing over the top of an existing Linux XBMC installation it seems.

One small bug is when you power off the system via the remote then when you see the MX Linux Shutting Down text message (sometimes it just does not appear) it is multiple displayed horizontally overlapping each copy of itself. If you need it then I can post a camera taken screen shot when I can get the corrupted display up with my camera to hand. If you do need the shot then whoever can deal with this little minor bug just shout and I will do.

Yes Bobones so now we really need that Broadcom WiFi fix for the ATV520 boxes that seems to be a major problem, and then we will be all very happy indeed. Just my sound corruption with my Denon AVR500 which is then a personal problem I have and will have to take that up with Denon technical help it seems. Still odd how it was not a problem auto switching the Denon to passthrough with Frodo 12.3 and earlier on the old audio settings system we used to have,

As to the freezes well a friend of mine has noticed that is seems to not freeze if he leaves his ATV1200 Linux Frodo 12,4 box powered on but in the home screen display and not with any add-on running and displaying even a list of content then it does not freeze up overnight, otherwise it does freeze almost every time overnight. That info may be a help or just coincidence so I offer that up to you J1nx. .
Cheers
Raymw
I've seen the same thing with the shutting down logo as raymw, but my box will freeze when left just at the home screen menu. I've noticed the logo will not appear sometimes on previous builds, but the overlapping multiple images is a new thing. This is so minor I don't really care about it!

@j1nx is it possible to direct the logging of xbmc or system to external SD/USB so logs are readable after a freeze as I believe standard ones are overwritten on reboot?
I don't have a G02ref device anymore only G18ref, so i can't test any of this. I definately don't have any issues with my G18ref shutting down or freezing and all my stuff is played wirelessly over my network.

What is the best remote configuration that people use.

Can i get any preferred remote.conf posted
Press THANK USER if I Help
(2014-07-01, 13:45)bobones Wrote: I've seen the same thing with the shutting down logo as raymw, but my box will freeze when left just at the home screen menu. I've noticed the logo will not appear sometimes on previous builds, but the overlapping multiple images is a new thing. This is so minor I don't really care about it!

@j1nx is it possible to direct the logging of xbmc or system to external SD/USB so logs are readable after a freeze as I believe standard ones are overwritten on reboot?

I always, just use an USB formatted with LABEL=USERDATA (But I am running on my TLBB builds)

Anyway; The log is not overwritten, but renamed to "xbmc.log.old" and sits next to the current log
(2014-07-01, 13:46)AuXBoX Wrote: I don't have a G02ref device anymore only G18ref, so i can't test any of this. I definately don't have any issues with my G18ref shutting down or freezing and all my stuff is played wirelessly over my network.

What is the best remote configuration that people use.

Can i get any preferred remote.conf posted

Have you tried OpenELEC from codesnake on your box? I would love to try this out on my G02Ref but I can't get it to boot past OpenELEC logo. Would love someone with the necessary skills to do a build for our boxes!

Here is the remote.conf that I use in my builds. It is for KR32 remote included with Sumvision Cyclone X2 and MyGica ATV1200 as pictured here. All buttons work in xbmc. I additionally map the menu key to play/pause in full screen video and the zoom out to stop (global) and zoom in to show favourites within xbmc using the keymap editor addon.

Code:
#*********************************************************************************************************
#this file is configuration for each factory remote device
#       work_mode         0 :software mode  1 :hardware mode
#       repeat_enable     0 :disable repeat 1 :enable repeat
#
#       factory_code      each device has it's unique factory code.
#                         pattern:custom_code(16bit)+index_code(16bit)
#                         examble: 0xff000001 = 0xff00(custom cod)  0001 (index)
#
#       release_delay     unit:ms.release will report from kernel to user layer after this period of time
#                         from press or repeat triggered.
#
#       debug_enable      0 :debug disable  1 :debug disable
#
# SW MODE:
#       bit_count         how many bits in each frame
#       tw_leader_act     time window for leader active
#       tw_bit0           time window for bit0 time.
#       tw_bit1           time window for bit1 time
#       tw_repeat_leader  time window for repeat leader
# REG
#       reg_base_gen      set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BASE_GEN
#       reg_control       set value for PREG_IR_DEC_CONTROL
#       reg_leader_act    set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_ACTIVE
#       reg_leader_idle   set value for PREG_IR_DEC_LEADER_IDLE
#       reg_repeat_leader set value for PREG_IR_DEC_REPEAT_IDLE
#       reg_bit0_time     set value for PREG_IR_DEC_BIT0_TIME
#*************************************************************************************************************
# MYGICA NEC remote
factory_code    = 0xBD020001
work_mode               = 1
repeat_enable = 1
release_delay   = 150
debug_enable    = 1
reg_control     = 0xfbe40
fn_key_scancode    = 0x15
left_key_scancode  = 0x1c
right_key_scancode = 0x48
up_key_scancode    = 0x44
down_key_scancode  = 0x1d