XBMC weird random crash!
Exclamation 
Hi everyone. I recently purchased an Intel NUC D34010WYK, installed an Intel mSATA SSD and 4 GB 1,35V Corsair RAM.

When trying to install XBMCBuntu to the ssd, I got this crash, at random occasions during the install:

Alternative link

When I couldnt get passed it, I tried installing OpenElec instead, and that worked just fine. But now the crashes have returned mysteriously, occuring at random times. Sometime when playing a movie and sometime while just being idle in the xbmc menu.

Is this most likely a hardware issue? I'm gonna try running xbmc from a stick, and see if the crash still occurs.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks
As far as I can see that is a box based on the Haswell processor core. Intel hasn't made good drivers for Haswell on Linux yet.

It will crash at least every time you play a VC1 encoded file. I don't know how well OE works on Haswell. But the live Cd's etc for Xbmc is too old to have decent support for it.
OE (especially generic nightlies) should work quite well. For other information Debug Log please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the responses guys. I did some testing with the machine since i suspected that this was a hardware issue. I first tried to run xbmc from a stick, to see if my SSD was malfunctioning. Same result. Then i I figured it was the memory that was corrupt, so I ran a memtest and go the same freaking crash around the third pass. Yes. Memtest froze.

I even noticed that the bios interface would freeze after a short amount of time. For me, that's a faulty logic board.

I returned the NUC and is expecting a replacement unit within a week.

Smile
Update: I got my new NUC, tried to install XBMCBuntu from USB, and got the same crash almost instantly. I thought that it had to be the memory then.. but I ran memtest for 3 consecutive days, (around 65 hours), and no errors or crashes.

Anyone have any idea what I can do? I am at a loss...
Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-12-25, 15:19)fritsch Wrote: debug log

How can I get a debug log If I can't even get xbmcbuntu to install?
I read "wired random crash". Did the topic title change?
(2013-12-25, 15:50)fritsch Wrote: I read "wired random crash". Did the topic title change?

Misleading title maybe. The crash occurs even before I can finish the install. Is there a way for me to get a debug log during the install..?
Nope. If that's the RC6 issue, you don't have a chance, despite when booting, press e - change the grub setting to disable the RC6 mode.
(2013-12-25, 17:54)fritsch Wrote: Nope. If that's the RC6 issue, you don't have a chance, despite when booting, press e - change the grub setting to disable the RC6 mode.

I've read about the RC6 issue, but I don't think i have sandy bridge? Intel NUC D34010WYK, uses haswell core? Also, the crash is not the black screen. It's colored flickering, just looks strange. Like in the image..
aswell needs much newer drivers then xbmcbuntu offers atm. Your better off installing ubuntu 13.10 mini or lubuntu 13.10
Do not use normal ubuntu desktop!
I managed to install openelec, latest generic nightly build, and got the crash after a couple of minutes. Here is the debug logs from two consecutive crashes:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101808

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=101809

Hope things helps
That does not look like a crash. Was it a hang or did OpenELEC just restart?
(2013-12-25, 23:28)fritsch Wrote: That does not look like a crash. Was it a hang or did OpenELEC just restart?

What happends is the screen and computer freezes up, and it looks like in the picture in my original post. No restart, just sits like that forever, not responding, and I have to force shutdown with power button.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC weird random crash!0