Channel Logos Cached?
Hi all,

I've recently updated channel logos to new logos put out by the local stations, however the old ones appear to be cached somewhere as they're still being displayed, despite being deleted from the computer. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve? Thanks!
did you update them in WMC or XBMC? Have you restarted ServerWMC and reloaded the channels? You might need to reset EPG database on the client side, or at least do the "Scan for missing channels" on XBMC
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
If they are new wmc logos, try deleting the channelicons folder in the tempxbmc folder.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2013-12-17, 08:25)scarecrow420 Wrote: did you update them in WMC or XBMC? Have you restarted ServerWMC and reloaded the channels? You might need to reset EPG database on the client side, or at least do the "Scan for missing channels" on XBMC

Thanks for the quick reply! I added them in XBMC. I have also restarted ServerWMC, cleared the database, and scanned for missing channels. Unfortunately, nothing. I've even pointed XMBC to another folder that blanked all logos, but when reverting back to the folder I use, the old logo came back.

(2013-12-17, 08:43)krustyreturns Wrote: If they are new wmc logos, try deleting the channelicons folder in the tempxbmc folder.

I found this folder, but it's empty.
I'm not sure what happened, but renaming the folder, then pointing XBMC to the new folder for the logos appears to have fixed the issue. Still doesn't explain why it was 'caching' the logos in the first place, but at least there's a workaround.
My thoughts are that XBMC may be storing them in the XBMC EPG database or something like that... did you try resetting the database like i mentioned, just out of interest? Personally I run without the database so that I have as little caching of anything TV related as possible
I did reset the epg database, but I'm interested in what you've said about running without the database. How does that work? I haven't even considered it.
There is an option in the XBMC menus, something like "store EPG data in the database". If you turn it off then it means that XBMC loads the EPG from our backend everytime you launch XBMC. Otherwise I thikn if you close it and re-open it, and it already had EPG info in it's database from within the last couple of hours, it doesnt do an EPG refresh. It's probably a minor thing really but I would rather just have as up to date info as I can, with as little caching as possible. And particularly while developing/testing our addon I need to know that killing XBMC and relaunching it, starts from a fresh slate, so ever since I've been playing around with this stuff Ive just turned off that XBMC option to store stuff in the EPG database. No idea if it really is better or not Smile In your case I would assume that resetting the database achieves the same result, so that is likely not involved in terms of this apparent channel logo caching that was occuring. XBMC actually has a TV database and an EPG database, perhaps the channels and logos might are stored in the TV database and thus any amount of resetting (or disabling) the EPG database didnt have an effect...
(2013-12-17, 11:39)scarecrow420 Wrote: My thoughts are that XBMC may be storing them in the XBMC EPG database or something like that... did you try resetting the database like i mentioned, just out of interest? Personally I run without the database so that I have as little caching of anything TV related as possible

I do not fully understand this issue either, but I had the same thing happen without reporting it
  • Use channel numbers from backend - set
  • always use channel order from backend - set
  • Do not store epg in the database - set
  • Went to WMC and disabled some channels in Settings->Guide
  • Reset the PVR database (started pulling info in again)
  • Afterwards, old channels still showed up
  • Reset EPG database (channels started coming in again)
  • Afterwards deleted channels still showed up

Ended up installing an update to server wmc and through some error in my WMC channels setup serverWMC reported 0 channels available. Re-ran hdhomerun setup and WMC TV setup (and guide configuration to delete all channels I don't receive). Restarted, ServerWMC back up reporting the correct number (113 channels). Started XBMC, pulled in only 113 Smile

While the mistakes I made in my HDHR/WMC setup forced me to re-do things, I didn't find the cache location

Previously had this issue with NPVR, and found it to be caching thumbnails in the userdata/addons/pvr.nextpvr/channels directory. Didn't see anything like this in the pvr.wmc folder, only a settings.xml

I'll try this out sometime and see if deleting the folder krusty mentioned, then EPG reset, then PVR reset will do the trick
(2013-12-19, 21:54)Dark_Slayer Wrote:
(2013-12-17, 11:39)scarecrow420 Wrote: My thoughts are that XBMC may be storing them in the XBMC EPG database or something like that... did you try resetting the database like i mentioned, just out of interest? Personally I run without the database so that I have as little caching of anything TV related as possible

I do not fully understand this issue either, but I had the same thing happen without reporting it
  • Use channel numbers from backend - set
  • always use channel order from backend - set
  • Do not store epg in the database - set
  • Went to WMC and disabled some channels in Settings->Guide
  • Reset the PVR database (started pulling info in again)
  • Afterwards, old channels still showed up
  • Reset EPG database (channels started coming in again)
  • Afterwards deleted channels still showed up

Ended up installing an update to server wmc and through some error in my WMC channels setup serverWMC reported 0 channels available. Re-ran hdhomerun setup and WMC TV setup (and guide configuration to delete all channels I don't receive). Restarted, ServerWMC back up reporting the correct number (113 channels). Started XBMC, pulled in only 113 Smile

While the mistakes I made in my HDHR/WMC setup forced me to re-do things, I didn't find the cache location

Previously had this issue with NPVR, and found it to be caching thumbnails in the userdata/addons/pvr.nextpvr/channels directory. Didn't see anything like this in the pvr.wmc folder, only a settings.xml

I'll try this out sometime and see if deleting the folder krusty mentioned, then EPG reset, then PVR reset will do the trick

Serverwmc reads the channels from the wmc database at startup and holds them in memory. So if you go into wmc and disable a channel, serverwmc won't know it unless you restart it. You don't mention restarting serverwmc above so I assume that was the problem. Sorry about that.

I did it this way because channels are constantly being referenced so I didn't want to keep rereading them from the database, and I assumed the channel list rarely changed. I guess maybe a 'reload channels' button in the UI might be a good thing.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Channel Logos Cached?0