XBMC 12.2.with T&A DAC8
Hi everybody!

I have a question regarding XBMC 12.2 using Ubuntu 13.04 with the T&A DAC8 connected via USB to my HTPC. The DAC8 is a high-end digital-to-analogue converter
and Ubuntu detected it as two soundcards. With aplay -l the DAC is recognized as "card 0 device 0" and "card 1 device 1"
XBMC is using card 0 but there are some distortions when playing HD-FLAC files and therefore T&A recommends using card 1 device 1.
How can I tell XBMC to use card 1 device 1?

Regards,
Krischan
Does it not show up in audio settings?

How about a debug log?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi Nickr,

The DAC is recognized by XBMC and I can select the T&A device under audio settings, but the shown device is the wrong device (card 0 device 0) and T&A recommends
the card 1 device 1. In the XBMC logfile you can see the T&A device with the wrong number. May be it has something to do with ALSA but I'm not quite sure.

Krischan
Can you post the debug log to pastebin and post the link here?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry, not possible due to the fact that I had the DAC8 only for one day. I am thinking over to buy me this DAC and in case of need I will connect via SPD/IF.
Is it possible to assign the audio output from XBMC to a native hardware device which is in the aplay -L list, similar to other audioplayers like daphile, gmusicbrowser, DeaDBeef etc...
for instance like "hw:1,1"

Regards,
Krischan
Why don't you post the damn debug log.
Ok, ok here is the damned xbmc.log Big Grin http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=102628
Device 5 and 6 is my T+A DAC but you can see that xbmc uses only "DEV=0" but DEV0 produces distortions. Thats why T+A recommends using DEV1.

Thats my aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC898 Analog [ALC898 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC898 Digital [ALC898 Digital]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: Device [T+A USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
card 1: Device [T+A USB Audio Device], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]

And all I want is to use "USB Audio #1"

You can see it in advancedsettings.xml (displayed in xbmc.log). I tried to define the audiooutput. But nothing happened
<audiodevice>ALSA:hw:CARD=Device,DEV=1</audiodevice>
One thing to try: set hw:1,1 as default alsa device using asound.conf.
Quote:card 1: Device [T+A USB Audio Device], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]

That's the one with the spdif in name.

m_deviceName : iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
This iec958 device produces the distortions due to the fact that this is device 0 and not 1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 12.2.with T&A DAC80