How to get the best deinterlacing with OpenELEC?
Hi everyone,

I just bought an Intel Celeron 847 based mainboard, because I wanted to setup an OpenELEC "appliance" with Tvheadend and XBMC.
Thus the quality of live tv is very important to me.
I picked an Intel plattform because I thought Intel was working better with Linux than AMD.

However I now found out that deinterlacing is very bad with this system.
When using VAAPI I get a lot of frame drops, with Bob there are no drops but the picture quality is very bad.

I also got an AMD E350 based Windows computer where I installed XBMC.
With this plattform I get perfect deinterlacing streaming from my Tvheadend server on the OpenELEC box.
(I used DXVAChecker to enable Vectore Adaptive Deinterlacing and the picture quality is very good)

As I can still return the Intel hardware I would like to ask if there is anyone who got deinterlacing running under OpenELEC with a quality comparable to what a Windows system can do and which hardware is recommended for OpenELEC + deinterlacing.
I don't know if its my eyes but nvidia + Linux gives me a clearer picture than the same hardware with windows 7. Nvidia has the best features and is very well supported under Linux.
In short: You don't.

Intel has currently immense problems with their VPP (Video Post Processing), all the advanced methods (Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing, Motion Completion Deinterlacing) are broken. On Haswell even beyond repair. The only thing working is BOB, which is the method VPP-Auto. This you should have via OpenELEC 3.2 series and also in later Generic nightlies.

On the E350 Platform, we suppport BOB on 3.2.4 and even Temporal deinterlacing on the nightlies, which is a new VDPAU implementation - VDPAU on AMD, yes.

If you want the best possible deinterlacing, you have to get an NVIDA card. There we you have Temp + Spat.
Concerning Intel. We were really happy to get BOB going as it is now, we even had to patch the libva-driver-intel. Sad state here currently. Your Celeron should do 1080i50 quite fine. Don't keep the codec info open all the times, only check from time to time. I have tested VAAPI-Auto (VPP BOB) on exact this hardware and it was really fine. Make additionally sure, that your Vertical Blank Sync is set to "Let Driver choose" and restart after changing did, or the swapBuffers might block.

There might be some updates concerning this topic, the next days, but it's too early to tell anything about.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yep, I am a long time mythtv user. This is all based on aprocryphal evidence, ie my own experience and observations. I am also basing this solely on linux experience, as I don't use windows for serious stuff like watching video.

Both myth and xbmc are excellent systems. However XBMC hasn't been used all that much for interlaced content as it hasn't had a PVR system until recently. Therefore XBMC users have been less interested in deinterlacing capability than myth users. The three main manufacturers can produce good video results for progressive video, but nvidia rules when it comes to deinterlacing. This is certainly what is recommended for myth because myth's core purpose is to record TV, and most TV is still interlaced. Unfortunately 1080i is far more common than 720p in broadcast TV.

In short - for watching TV, go nVidia.

PS fritsch and others are doing great development stuff, but are hampered by sucky vendor implementations. Go fritsch!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Recently I tried DXV2 (Windows) on Intel HD4000 (i7) and was shocked how bad this performed. I got good results with sw decoding/deinterlaing on this machine or after switching XBMC to the NVidia gfx (optimus).

EDIT: hmm, did the test again on Windows and HD4000. Now as we have DXVA-HD it performs good.
@FernetMenta What do you mean with "On Haswell even beyond repair".
I was looking into buying a Intel NUC.
I cannot find any decent small HTPC with a Nvidia GPU.
The new OpenELEC builds starting from tomorrow, will have a new option for VAAPI, which is named: Use SW filters for VAAPI. In Short, we copy the Frame back to memory and then you can use all sw filters you'd like. Especially Yadif (Deinterlace <- that's the name of it) will be available for intel.

The quality is perfect. That way we could rule out the shortcomings of the Intel driver policy. 1080i50 with Yadif works correctly on my Celeron 1007 - so every haswell nuc out there should have enough boost to use it. That's really best deinterlacing quality I have seen so far.

The copy is done by SSE4.1 intrinsics and uses approx 1 ms per Frame :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@fritsch I thought that Yadif only support up-to bob deinterlace and not the advance deinterlace Temp + Spat.
You think completely wrong: http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php...lter_yadif

Btw. What a lot of people are missing, mostly audiophiles and videophiles, too. What really matters at then end is: what do you like when hearing it and what do you like when actually seeing it.

And in that case: Just compare them.

Edit: http://guru.multimedia.cx/deinterlacing-filters/ <- with pictures.
@fritsch When I last tried Yadif on xbmc version 12 on OSX I could only get bob are lower so there my confusion started.
Does your Yadif on Linux use a different version then the one used in OSX ?
No. We use what ffmpeg gives us. If you use hw acceleration it's pretty clear that you don't get it. That's what we newly implemented - Getting the frames back from video mem to system mem. It only works with VAAPI and Linux.
I'm sorry for bumping this message, but I'm looking for a free alternative for my windows 8, PVR DVBS mediaportal setup.
It must run linux since I migrated to linux with all my other systems as well, I want to get rid of windows.

However, when reading the forums about live TV and HW decoding I saw that HW deinterlacing is (still) having problems on linux, especially AMD.
I see people recommend nvidia for HW deinterlacing.

In short; Is it possible to have a full featured low power alternative for my MediaPortal windows setup but then on linux with good picture quality for interlaced material?

It was a hell to get kodi working on my Asus F1A75-m A4-3400 setup, I could only get it to work with the proprietary drivers.
With proprietary drivers no: not at all.

Every decent Ubuntu, e.g. 15.04 lubuntu edition + kodi should be good enough to run with deinterlacing on the radeon oss drivers using vdpau. Don't forget to install mesa-vdpau-drivers
(2015-05-03, 22:12)fritsch Wrote: With proprietary drivers no: not at all.

Every decent Ubuntu, e.g. 15.04 lubuntu edition + kodi should be good enough to run with deinterlacing on the radeon oss drivers using vdpau. Don't forget to install mesa-vdpau-drivers

Thanks for the quick reply and answering my question!
I'm going to try it one more time to run my a4-3400 system with the oss driver but I doubt it will run without the nomodeset option.
Honestly I don't know what nomodoset does but I get a messed up screen without using it.

I desperately want to get rid of my last windows machine.
nomodeset disables KMS and all gpu acceleration won't work. Try with 15.04, please - as 14.04 has a bug on exactly your A4 ... (when you don't manually update the kernel to 3.16)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get the best deinterlacing with OpenELEC?0